Thread started 17 Apr 2012 (Tuesday) 19:36   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

snakeman55
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2005
1,223 posts
Baltimore, Md
[MORE/SHARE]

You use ISO 1600 with flash because it drains batteries less and Improves recycle time.

Post #16, May 16, 2012 18:24:27

-Adam
Wedding Photographers in Marylandexternal link
Gear

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
socalrailfan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2008
1,452 posts
Riverside, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Gotcha thanks! Lots of AA's will be in my pocket too!

snakeman55 wrote in post #14442441external link
You use ISO 1600 with flash because it drains batteries less and Improves recycle time.

Post #17, May 16, 2012 18:33:11

Dave - Riverside, CA PhotographersNature.co​mexternal link
Canon 60D & 40D. Canon 24-105 L, 10-22, 100mmL 50mm 1.4 and 70-300 L lenses.
My photos on Flickrexternal link, my Google Earth/Panoramio photosexternal link

snakeman55
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2005
1,223 posts
Baltimore, Md
[MORE/SHARE]

Also, I'd keep it really simple. I've never used a battery pack for flash, just carry an extra set of batteries.

If it were me, I'd use the 10-22 all night at the reception. 580ex pointed at the ceiling with a bounce card. Flash in ettl mode. Camera Manual, 1/60, F/4, ISO 1600. This should be fine. If the images look too hot in the lcd you can go 1/80 and f/5.6. Also you could adjust the FEC, but if this is overwhelming, don't worry about that too much. Shoot RAW or at least SRAW.

I stay at the wide end a lot when people are dancing, but it's nice to zoom into 22mm for a nice spur of the moment portrait or group shot. Good luck.

Post #18, May 16, 2012 18:34:23

-Adam
Wedding Photographers in Marylandexternal link
Gear

socalrailfan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2008
1,452 posts
Riverside, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the tips Adam. Now I just need to get my 10-22 back from Canon after it's fall and damage from my last trip.

Post #19, May 16, 2012 18:38:00

ultimachi
Joined Feb 2011
825 posts
Las Vegas, NV
[MORE/SHARE]

tim wrote in post #14442324external link
Ambient light isn't usually good quality, and often wedding receptions are too dark to shoot ambient at all - ISO6400 F2.8 1/10th type exposures aren't acceptable. Bounce off walls and ceilings, don't diffuse.

Any time you say "i'll fix it in photoshop" be aware that you probably won't. You have to get it 99% right in camera.

This has disaster written all over it.

I agree 100%. Saying that "you'll just fix it photoshop" is never a good thing. Get it right in camera and you'll save yourself a ton of headaches!! My partner that shot with me at a wedding a few weeks ago, and he used that excuse when I looked at some of his shots and noticed they were a bit underexpose. Now that he's pulled them up on his monitor, he wishes he'd just gotten it right in camera! A little overblown is much better than underexposure....espec​ially at a high ISO!

Post #20, May 17, 2012 11:32:30 as a reply to socalrailfan's post 16 hours earlier.

*Wedding/Portraits Facebook Page*external link *Wedding/Portraits Blog*external link *Automotive Facebook Page*external link *Automotive Photography Blog*external link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2006
26,357 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

socalrailfan wrote in post #14442281external link
I'm renting the 580EXII for the event. How come a high ISO is required indoors when using the flash. Also is it better to use a diffuser or bounce the flash indoors? I'll have the flash four days before the event. I just want to be able to take some decent shots and then let PS be my saviour.

High ISO is used to keep a balance between the flash and the ambient. Modern DSLR's perform pretty well at higher ISO's so dont be afraid of raising it a bit. When you get your flash, put it on, shoot a subject indoors at ISO 100 and ISO 800 or more and see the difference. Bounce is better than a diffuser if you have the option.

Post #21, May 17, 2012 11:38:58

caught14
Joined Jul 2008
194 posts
Lynchburg, VA
[MORE/SHARE]

That's great you want to help out a friend, but just make sure that they understand that you aren't really saving them any money. Instead they are just choosing a different level of quality in their end product. If you were saving them money that would mean they would be getting the same end product for cheaper.

Managing expectations should be a top priority with this one. Make sure they understand that if the quality isn't what they want, then it was their decision to not pay for a more experienced wedding professional as opposed to your fault. The last thing you want is for the friendship to be strained when all you were trying to do was help.

Good luck!

Post #22, May 17, 2012 13:38:46 as a reply to gonzogolf's post 1 hour earlier.

Colling Photographyexternal link
Cameras & Lenses - Canon 5DMkII x 3 | 30D | 24
L | 35L | 45 TS | 50L | 85IIL | 135L | 16-35IIL | 24-105L | 70-200L
www.collingphotogaller​y.comexternal link

socalrailfan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2008
1,452 posts
Riverside, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

I hear you and believe me I've preached this to the groom many many times! They know what they're getting. I think I'll do alright. Even if I can get some decent shots then my mastery in PS will help me out. I also have a second shooter who's done weddings before and is a member here. With that I feel more than confident between the two of us we can get it done.

Tomorrow's the big day. I've went through everything, got the 580 EX II flash and tested it out. I think I'm good to go and hopefully I don't pee my pants! LOL

caught14 wrote in post #14446504external link
That's great you want to help out a friend, but just make sure that they understand that you aren't really saving them any money. Instead they are just choosing a different level of quality in their end product. If you were saving them money that would mean they would be getting the same end product for cheaper.

Managing expectations should be a top priority with this one. Make sure they understand that if the quality isn't what they want, then it was their decision to not pay for a more experienced wedding professional as opposed to your fault. The last thing you want is for the friendship to be strained when all you were trying to do was help.

Good luck!

Post #23, Jun 08, 2012 18:52:35

ByTheBrooke
Joined Oct 2008
137 posts
Florence, AL
[MORE/SHARE]

How did it go? I'm in this exact predicament for the end of October. I have made it clear I don't do weddings, and have never shot one before (with the exception of a relative many moons ago when I didn't know what I was doing). I'm nervous, to say the least. I know I can pull it off, and they chose me because I don't over process. Still, I've made it clear that I just am not an experienced wedding photographer. I don't even do a lot of portrait work. Like you, I am landscape, still life, etc primarily. I'm familiar enough with lighting, but only have a cheap strobe and a 430 EX II. I may rent a 580 EX II for the wedding, but we will see. Would love to see some of what you shot! My venue is an outdoor wedding at sunset by a lake and the reception is n a barn. I'm scoping the venue out in the next week or two.

Post #24, Jul 09, 2012 23:07:49

Brooke
Gripped 7D, Sigma 30mm 1.4, Sigma 85mm 1.4, Canon 100 2.8mm Macro, etc etc.... I just love to shoot!

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,677 views & 0 likes for this thread
First time wedding shooter, flash question
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES