Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Photography Industry News > Rumors > Camera Rumors and Predictions
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th of April 2012 (Wed)   #1
fotoworx
"I get 'em pregnant"

Default *If* Canon were to answer Nikon with a 36mp body..what time frame?

*If* Canon were to answer Nikon's high mp D800 with a 36mp body of their own...what time frame realistically do you think they could do this in?
f o t o w o r x
fotoworx is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of April 2012 (Wed)   #2
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: *If* Canon were to answer Nikon with a 36mp body..what time frame?

Well, they announced the 5DII in 9/2008 and the 5DIII in 3/2012. It took them almost 4 years to add a decent AF system to the 5 series, so to bump up the sensor something like the D800 should take them 10 years.
rick_reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of April 2012 (Wed)   #3
fotoworx
"I get 'em pregnant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by rick_reno View Post
should take them 10 years.
Rick!!!!!!!!!! LOL
f o t o w o r x
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of April 2012 (Wed)   #4
ScottyC

Well to speculate.... sometime this fall?
ScottyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of April 2012 (Wed)   #5
FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"

Canon already has a 120MP sensor in APS-H...

How much you willing to pay?
Old 18th of April 2012 (Wed)   #6
fotoworx
"I get 'em pregnant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingPhotog View Post
Canon already has a 120MP sensor in APS-H...
APS-H is dead isn't it

I don't think my PC is up to handling a 120mp sensor.
f o t o w o r x
Old 18th of April 2012 (Wed)   #7
David Arbogast
Cream of the Crop

It's an interesting question. The 5D III looks to be a very popular camera, but if Nikon does extremely well with the D800, then I can see it happening sooner rather than later. I hope Canon one-ups them with a 45mp camera.
David Arbogast is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of April 2012 (Wed)   #8
fotoworx
"I get 'em pregnant"

They (Canon) are in a prickly situation though.

They have been trounced by Nikon with the D800's 36mp sensor.

If they bring out a larger mp sensor in 2012 all the early adopters of the 5D3 are going to feel as if they were "fleeced" unless Canon cripples the high mp sensor body with a slow AF system.

How can Canon justify a high MP sensor dearer than the D800? Or cheaper than the 5D3?

They certainly could be in a pickle. They should maybe have just put in a larger MP sensor in the 5D3 and been done with it.

It is interesting to see the "Nikon Camp" who used to poo poo the 5D2 and claim that the D700's 12mp sensor was all any sane person needed, do a complete 180 degree and jump now all over the D800 and poo poo the 5D3 as "only" 22mp.

I just wonder how fast Canon can get anther body out to consumers *if* they are going to answer the D800 and where do they slot it and what do they charge for it?
f o t o w o r x
Old 18th of April 2012 (Wed)   #9
iamascientist

Isn't there a 3D coming? At this point, the only hole left for them to fill is the high MP one, the 1DX and 5DmkIII cover the rest. My thinking though is that canon would charge a good deal more then Nikon for a high MP body.
iamascientist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of April 2012 (Wed)   #10
Invertalon
Cream of the Crop

I have a feeling within the year, Canon will have a FF option with 40-50 MP for studio/landscape photographers mainly... Low FPS, wireless flash triggering, etc... And cost $4500 or so... Above the 5D3, but under the 1Dx.

People will pay for it.
Old 18th of April 2012 (Wed)   #11
fotoworx
"I get 'em pregnant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by namtot View Post
My thinking though is that canon would charge a good deal more then Nikon for a high MP body.
It would want to be one very special camera then.
f o t o w o r x
Old 18th of April 2012 (Wed)   #12
BrickR
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fotoworx View Post
It is interesting to see the "Nikon Camp" who used to poo poo the 5D2 and claim that the D700's 12mp sensor was all any sane person needed, do a complete 180 degree and jump now all over the D800 and poo poo the 5D3 as "only" 22mp.
Word. So true LOL!!!

Nikon is riding Sony sensors back to the top of the heap and Canon got a little too comfortable. The new Nikon 3200 will no doubt has the 24mp APS-C sensor in it and will guaranteed pull more beginners and first time DSLR owners than Canon's Rebel with an 18mp sensor.
If I were Canon, I'd say "F this!" and try to purchase the Fuji sensor from the Xpro1 or whatever they cook up next At least then you could trump in ISO and sharpness
Old 18th of April 2012 (Wed)   #13
fotoworx
"I get 'em pregnant"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Invertalon View Post
I have a feeling within the year, Canon will have a FF option with 40-50 MP for studio/landscape photographers
If that was correct, would they have to have prototypes made already and be testing them? It would be a tall order to design, test and put into production a body from scratch and have it as a consumers item inside a year wouldn't it?
f o t o w o r x
Old 18th of April 2012 (Wed)   #14
Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop

Quote:

If they bring out a larger mp sensor in 2012 all the early adopters of the 5D3 are going to feel as if they were "fleeced" unless Canon cripples the high mp sensor body with a slow AF system.

How can Canon justify a high MP sensor dearer than the D800? Or cheaper than the 5D3?

They certainly could be in a pickle. They should maybe have just put in a larger MP sensor in the 5D3 and been done with it.

I just wonder how fast Canon can get anther body out to consumers *if* they are going to answer the D800 and where do they slot it and what do they charge for it?
I'm not THAT sure that Nikon will do extremely well with the D800 just because of the pixel count....I hope they do well as I like to see the strongest competition possible... but the 5D3 offers a lot and I'm just not feeling the need for all that many pixels, specially if it meant sacrificing any of the speed of the new Canon.

I'm sure my L lenses will be found out before the sensor starts maxing quality. But then, I usually just make prints up to a metre long!
Old 18th of April 2012 (Wed)   #15
David Arbogast
Cream of the Crop

Quote:

Yeah, I have the same thoughts about that "prickly" situation. My feeling is that the only thing that will motivate them to push a higher MP camera sooner is a sense of a lost profits...and I think the 5D III is going to do plenty well, so that's not likely to happen imo.

If/when they do produce a higher MP camera, I hope they do it in a wiser way than Nikon did it, by offering different FF resolution modes. The D800 can shoot smaller than 36MP by shooting in crop-frame mode, but that's not the same as providing a range two to four resolution modes in FF mode. I just feel that's the best solution for making everybody happy. Lower resolution modes should allow for faster shooting, so FPS need not be a step back from the 5D III.
David Arbogast is online now   Reply With Quote