*If* Canon were to answer Nikon with a 36mp body..what time frame?

FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions
Thread started 18 Apr 2012 (Wednesday) 19:06   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

fotoworx
"I get 'em pregnant"
Joined Mar 2009
4,547 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

*If* Canon were to answer Nikon's high mp D800 with a 36mp body of their own...what time frame realistically do you think they could do this in?

Post #1, Apr 18, 2012 19:06:26

Jim
f o t o w o r xexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
44,437 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Well, they announced the 5DII in 9/2008 and the 5DIII in 3/2012. It took them almost 4 years to add a decent AF system to the 5 series, so to bump up the sensor something like the D800 should take them 10 years.

Post #2, Apr 18, 2012 19:26:37

fotoworx
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I get 'em pregnant"
Joined Mar 2009
4,547 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

rick_reno wrote in post #14289271external link
should take them 10 years.

Rick!!!!!!!!!! LOL

Post #3, Apr 18, 2012 19:29:48

Jim

ScottyC
Joined Mar 2012
31 posts
Roseville CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Well to speculate.... sometime this fall?

Post #4, Apr 18, 2012 19:31:27

FlyingPhotog
Cream of the "Prop"
Joined May 2007
57,560 posts
Probably Chasing Aircraft
[MORE/SHARE]

Canon already has a 120MP sensor in APS-H...

How much you willing to pay?

Post #5, Apr 18, 2012 19:32:20

Jay
Crosswind Imagesexternal link
Facebook Fan Pageexternal link

"If you aren't getting extraordinary images from today's dSLRs, regardless of brand, it's not the camera!" - Bill Fortney, Nikon Corp.

sponsored links
fotoworx
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I get 'em pregnant"
Joined Mar 2009
4,547 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

FlyingPhotog wrote in post #14289295external link
Canon already has a 120MP sensor in APS-H...

APS-H is dead isn't it ;)

I don't think my PC is up to handling a 120mp sensor.

Post #6, Apr 18, 2012 19:49:18

Jim

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2010
5,435 posts
Lee's Summit, Missouri
[MORE/SHARE]

It's an interesting question. The 5D III looks to be a very popular camera, but if Nikon does extremely well with the D800, then I can see it happening sooner rather than later. I hope Canon one-ups them with a 45mp camera. :)

Post #7, Apr 18, 2012 20:03:40

David | Flickrexternal link
Camera: [Canon 5D III] [Sony a7R]
Lens: [Canon TS-E 17mm, TS-E 24mm II, 70-200mm II] [Zeiss (ZE): Otus 55mm] [Nikon 14-24mm]

fotoworx
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I get 'em pregnant"
Joined Mar 2009
4,547 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

They (Canon) are in a prickly situation though.

They have been trounced by Nikon with the D800's 36mp sensor.

If they bring out a larger mp sensor in 2012 all the early adopters of the 5D3 are going to feel as if they were "fleeced" unless Canon cripples the high mp sensor body with a slow AF system.

How can Canon justify a high MP sensor dearer than the D800? Or cheaper than the 5D3?

They certainly could be in a pickle. They should maybe have just put in a larger MP sensor in the 5D3 and been done with it.

It is interesting to see the "Nikon Camp" who used to poo poo the 5D2 and claim that the D700's 12mp sensor was all any sane person needed, do a complete 180 degree and jump now all over the D800 and poo poo the 5D3 as "only" 22mp.

I just wonder how fast Canon can get anther body out to consumers *if* they are going to answer the D800 and where do they slot it and what do they charge for it?

Post #8, Apr 18, 2012 20:12:38

Jim

iamascientist
Joined Apr 2010
671 posts
Mass
[MORE/SHARE]

Isn't there a 3D coming? At this point, the only hole left for them to fill is the high MP one, the 1DX and 5DmkIII cover the rest. My thinking though is that canon would charge a good deal more then Nikon for a high MP body.

Post #9, Apr 18, 2012 20:16:17

Invertalon
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
6,417 posts
Cleveland, OH
[MORE/SHARE]

I have a feeling within the year, Canon will have a FF option with 40-50 MP for studio/landscape photographers mainly... Low FPS, wireless flash triggering, etc... And cost $4500 or so... Above the 5D3, but under the 1Dx.

People will pay for it.

Post #10, Apr 18, 2012 20:17:08

-Steve
Facebookexternal link
Flickrexternal link

fotoworx
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I get 'em pregnant"
Joined Mar 2009
4,547 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

namtot wrote in post #14289510external link
My thinking though is that canon would charge a good deal more then Nikon for a high MP body.

It would want to be one very special camera then.

Post #11, Apr 18, 2012 20:18:05

Jim

sponsored links
BrickR
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2011
5,394 posts
Dallas TX
[MORE/SHARE]

fotoworx wrote in post #14289492external link
It is interesting to see the "Nikon Camp" who used to poo poo the 5D2 and claim that the D700's 12mp sensor was all any sane person needed, do a complete 180 degree and jump now all over the D800 and poo poo the 5D3 as "only" 22mp.

Word. So true LOL!!!

Nikon is riding Sony sensors back to the top of the heap and Canon got a little too comfortable. The new Nikon 3200 will no doubt has the 24mp APS-C sensor in it and will guaranteed pull more beginners and first time DSLR owners than Canon's Rebel with an 18mp sensor.
If I were Canon, I'd say "F this!" and try to purchase the Fuji sensor from the Xpro1 or whatever they cook up next :lol: At least then you could trump in ISO and sharpness :cool:

Post #12, Apr 18, 2012 20:20:43

My junk
The grass isn't greener on the other side, it's green where you water it.

fotoworx
THREAD ­ STARTER
"I get 'em pregnant"
Joined Mar 2009
4,547 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Invertalon wrote in post #14289516external link
I have a feeling within the year, Canon will have a FF option with 40-50 MP for studio/landscape photographers

If that was correct, would they have to have prototypes made already and be testing them? It would be a tall order to design, test and put into production a body from scratch and have it as a consumers item inside a year wouldn't it?

Post #13, Apr 18, 2012 20:21:01

Jim

Ricardo222
Cream of the Crop
Joined Mar 2010
15,984 posts
Nelson, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

If they bring out a larger mp sensor in 2012 all the early adopters of the 5D3 are going to feel as if they were "fleeced" unless Canon cripples the high mp sensor body with a slow AF system.

How can Canon justify a high MP sensor dearer than the D800? Or cheaper than the 5D3?

They certainly could be in a pickle. They should maybe have just put in a larger MP sensor in the 5D3 and been done with it.

I just wonder how fast Canon can get anther body out to consumers *if* they are going to answer the D800 and where do they slot it and what do they charge for it?

I'm not THAT sure that Nikon will do extremely well with the D800 just because of the pixel count....I hope they do well as I like to see the strongest competition possible... but the 5D3 offers a lot and I'm just not feeling the need for all that many pixels, specially if it meant sacrificing any of the speed of the new Canon.

I'm sure my L lenses will be found out before the sensor starts maxing quality. But then, I usually just make prints up to a metre long!

Post #14, Apr 18, 2012 20:23:52

Growing old disgracefully!

David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2010
5,435 posts
Lee's Summit, Missouri
[MORE/SHARE]

Yeah, I have the same thoughts about that "prickly" situation. My feeling is that the only thing that will motivate them to push a higher MP camera sooner is a sense of a lost profits...and I think the 5D III is going to do plenty well, so that's not likely to happen imo.

If/when they do produce a higher MP camera, I hope they do it in a wiser way than Nikon did it, by offering different FF resolution modes. The D800 can shoot smaller than 36MP by shooting in crop-frame mode, but that's not the same as providing a range two to four resolution modes in FF mode. I just feel that's the best solution for making everybody happy. Lower resolution modes should allow for faster shooting, so FPS need not be a step back from the 5D III.

Post #15, Apr 18, 2012 20:27:44

David | Flickrexternal link
Camera: [Canon 5D III] [Sony a7R]
Lens: [Canon TS-E 17mm, TS-E 24mm II, 70-200mm II] [Zeiss (ZE): Otus 55mm] [Nikon 14-24mm]

LIST NEARBY THREADS
4,020 views & 0 likes for this thread
*If* Canon were to answer Nikon with a 36mp body..what time frame?
FORUMS News & Rumors Camera Rumors and Predictions

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES