Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Macro Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st of April 2012 (Sat)   #1
Suddie1215

Default Question on reverse mounting a Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens

Hi, I have a Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens and I would like to reverse mount a Canon 50 f/1.4. Is this possible when the 50 f/1.4 does not have a manual aperture ring?

And if it can be done, how do I get the aperture on to 50mm lens open?
Suddie1215 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of April 2012 (Sat)   #2
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

Default Re: Question on reverse mounting a Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suddie1215 View Post
Hi, I have a Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens and I would like to reverse mount a Canon 50 f/1.4. Is this possible when the 50 f/1.4 does not have a manual aperture ring?

And if it can be done, how do I get the aperture on to 50mm lens open?
The second lens "stays" wide open unless you set it to a different aperture. You do this by mounting the lens, setting the aperture to what you want, then dismounting the lens while the camera/lens is still set to the needed aperture.

Beyond that, I really haven't messed with doing this, so others can chime in and add or totally correct anything bad I've said!
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of April 2012 (Sun)   #3
LordV
Macro Photo-Lord of the Year 2006

Just to add, with the lens mounted normally and the aperture set on the camera that you want, you have to press the DOF preview button and then dismount the lens whilst keeping the DOF preview button depressed.
Brian v.
Canon 600D, Canon 40D, Canon 5D mk2, Tamron 90mm macro, Canon MPE-65,18-55 kit lens X2, canon 200mm F2.8 L, Tamron 28-70mm xrdi, Other assorted bits
LordV is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of April 2012 (Sun)   #4
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordV View Post
Just to add, with the lens mounted normally and the aperture set on the camera that you want, you have to press the DOF preview button and then dismount the lens whilst keeping the DOF preview button depressed.
Brian v.
Ah, right, I knew I must have forgotten something! Thanks for chiming in!!!
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of April 2012 (Sun)   #5
Suddie1215

Thank you both for the tips. I tried reversing my 50mm on my macro lens yesterday and couldn't get it to work but now I see what I was doing incorrectly.

Another question, to focus I only need to rotate the focus ring for the non-reversed lens, right?

EDIT:

Here's the equipment I'm using: 1D Mk III camera, Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens, Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens, mounting ring.

Following the advice from LordV I first attached the 50mm directly to the camera and set the aperture to f/1.4. Then while holding down the DOF Preview button I removed the 50mm and attached the 100mm macro. I reversed the 50mm and screwed it on to the macro lens thread. But try as I might I can't get the combination to focus manually or by autofocus. Any advice greatly appreciated.

Last edited by Suddie1215 : 22nd of April 2012 (Sun) at 14:25.
Old 22nd of April 2012 (Sun)   #6
LordV

Quote:
Thank you both for the tips. I tried reversing my 50mm on my macro lens yesterday and couldn't get it to work but now I see what I was doing incorrectly.

Another question, to focus I only need to rotate the focus ring for the non-reversed lens, right?

EDIT:

Here's the equipment I'm using: 1D Mk III camera, Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens, Canon 50mm f/1.4 lens, mounting ring.

Following the advice from LordV I first attached the 50mm directly to the camera and set the aperture to f/1.4. Then while holding down the DOF Preview button I removed the 50mm and attached the 100mm macro. I reversed the 50mm and screwed it on to the macro lens thread. But try as I might I can't get the combination to focus manually or by autofocus. Any advice greatly appreciated.
Hi - Sorry I assumed you were reversing the 50mm lens directly onto the body, if you are reversing it onto the front of the macro lens then leave the 50mm lens focused on infinity and the aperture wide open. Aperture and focus control is done using the main macro lens. Remember though the focus point will be fairly close to the front of the reversed lens.

Brian v.
Canon 600D, Canon 40D, Canon 5D mk2, Tamron 90mm macro, Canon MPE-65,18-55 kit lens X2, canon 200mm F2.8 L, Tamron 28-70mm xrdi, Other assorted bits
Old 22nd of April 2012 (Sun)   #7
RobinH

I am thinking about the same setup - reversing a 50mm 1.4 on a 100mm 2.8.

So would the aperture on the reversed 1.4 have any effect? Since in normal use it is quite soft at 1.4, would setting the aperture to 2.8 make sharper pictures when reversed? Or do you just lose some light?
RobinH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of April 2012 (Sun)   #8
Suddie1215

Got it working now. I mistakenly assumed that reversing the 50mm would increase the minimum working distance so I was moving the lenses away from the subject but as you pointed out "Remember though the focus point will be fairly close to the front of the reversed lens." Once I made the adjustment it works fine and I can now achieve 3:1 magnification. Thanks again for all your help, now I only have to find interesting things to shoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordV View Post
Hi - Sorry I assumed you were reversing the 50mm lens directly onto the body, if you are reversing it onto the front of the macro lens then leave the 50mm lens focused on infinity and the aperture wide open. Aperture and focus control is done using the main macro lens. Remember though the focus point will be fairly close to the front of the reversed lens.

Brian v.
Old 23rd of April 2012 (Mon)   #9
LordV

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinH View Post

So would the aperture on the reversed 1.4 have any effect? Since in normal use it is quite soft at 1.4, would setting the aperture to 2.8 make sharper pictures when reversed? Or do you just lose some light?
Really not sure, I suspect you will have to suck it and see- starting off with it wide open and then perhaps trying a few set apertures down to say F2.8.
Brian v.
Old 23rd of April 2012 (Mon)   #10
adamsheehy

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinH View Post

It will have an effect, but it's always been negligible compared to the trade off for me. The aperture on the 50mm will be constant when shooting, so you'll lose a ton of light that is typically much needed to even find the subject at times.

Quote:
Once I made the adjustment it works fine and I can now achieve 3:1 magnification.
I could be wrong, but I think it's a 2:1 magnification with a 50mm stacked on a 100mm.
adamsheehy is offline   Reply With Quote