Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Sports Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 21st of April 2012 (Sat)   #1
TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop

Default Strange people....with strange request.

So far, my cycling race photography has been very pleasant. Didn't cause any crashes. Didn't get hassled by the race officials. However, I am dealing with this strange dude. He is one of the staff working for the race organizers. When I saw him last year, he couldn't stop himself from asking me if my 1dmarkIII can take video. He seems to have some knowledge about film photography. Then, he went on and on about video this and video that. I pretended to listen to him and on my way. Now, at the beginning of this racing season, he is constantly asking me to put his SD card into my 1dmarkIII so that he could see and play with my RAW files...LOL I am so damn afraid during my next shoot he would hand me his SD card and I am supposed to hand him my RAW files. LOL I am afraid I have to bitch slap this dude one day. I gave him my business card in case he didn't know about my website. Somehow, he is so damn curious about my RAW files. He said he wanted to see how good are my RAW files.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of April 2012 (Sat)   #2
kenjancef
Goldmember

Default Re: Strange people....with strange request.

I could be wrong, but if you are shooting for yourself, and haven't signed anything, this guy shouldn't even have the right to ask for ANY files.

My answer would be "Thanks, but no thanks..."
Old 22nd of April 2012 (Sun)   #3
Ando27

Yeah, like your just gunna hand over your RAW file s ?

Ask him how much $$$$ he will give you for them..........
[center][b]Canon 1D4 / 5D3 gripped / 7D gripped / 300f2.8 IS L / 100-400f5.6 L / 70-200f2.8 IS II L / EFS18-200IS / 24-105 f4 IS / 10-20 f4 / 580EXII x 3 /1.4 TC III / 1.4TC II / 2 TC III / 15' Rig / 20' Rig.[center]
Ando27 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of April 2012 (Sun)   #4
AntonLargiader

Could be he's just curious about modern stuff. Me, I'd toss his SD card in and let him take a few pics. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.
Old 22nd of April 2012 (Sun)   #5
primoz
POTN Sports Photographer of the year 2005

Easy solution... start shooting jpeg, and he won't be bugging you anymore for raw files
Old 22nd of April 2012 (Sun)   #6
TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntonLargiader View Post
Could be he's just curious about modern stuff. Me, I'd toss his SD card in and let him take a few pics. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Hehehe...don't know. Sounds like he wants to see the RAW files of my actual race photos.... Maybe he wants to see if my photos are that good that even my RAW files are drop dead gorgeous. I think I will lecture him on the art of post processing and why I don't let people to see my unfinished products.
Old 22nd of April 2012 (Sun)   #7
AntonLargiader

I guess it depends on your need/desire to draw some line between the two of you. I wouldn't, if he were someone I'd be interacting with regularly. Make them his images, not yours. Be sure to completely scramble the settings before you hand him the camera.

Nothing wrong with telling him he can't have your real RAWs, but if he wants to play around with one I say let him make one himself. At least you'll find out if he really wants something else.
Old 22nd of April 2012 (Sun)   #8
cacawcacaw
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooManyShots View Post
...However, I am dealing with this strange dude. ... he went on and on about video this and video that. I pretended to listen to him and on my way. ...
Sounds like every third person who's into cycling.

Explain it to him in cycling terms; "Sorry, you're a nice guy but nobody touches my bike or my camera." Tell him that, like all professionals, you're absolutely anal about your equipment, particularly at an event. Tell him you try to be friendly but you've got your routine and are actually constantly on edge, worried about concentrating, watching for mechanical problems, and protecting your images.

If you see him all the time, it wouldn't kill you to take his SD card home, take some non-race shots with it, and let him have the raw files. He probably just wants to figure out the mystique behind using expensive equipment and producing great shots. Give him a couple of unprocessed shots and he'll quickly figure out that it's the rider, not the bike.
Old 23rd of April 2012 (Mon)   #9
elrey2375
Goldmember

Yeah, no one gets to see any photos before I tinker with them, RAW or otherwise. I'm also not crazy about non-photogs messing around with my gear. Not that I think they would do anything on purpose but accidents happen. If my gear is going to get destroyed or hurt, it's going to be by me dammit LOL I would just politely say no and if he asks why not just tell him it's your policy and you don't make exceptions, period.
elrey2375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of April 2012 (Mon)   #10
mobei

He wants to see if the "pro" is that good or is it all in the PP.
mobei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of April 2012 (Tue)   #11
abruckse

Quote:
Originally Posted by mobei View Post
He wants to see if the "pro" is that good or is it all in the PP.
Definitely sounds like the typical "that camera must take really good pictures" guy.

flickr | www.andrewbruckse.com
abruckse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of April 2012 (Tue)   #12
Michael_nine22

tell him there are demo raws from the camera and any camera online(i don't remember wehre but most reviews have them), and let him know you use both card slots so you can't do that for him
Michael_nine22 is offline   Reply With Quote