Thread started 21 Apr 2012 (Saturday) 19:26   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2008
9,045 posts
NYC
[MORE/SHARE]

So far, my cycling race photography has been very pleasant. Didn't cause any crashes. Didn't get hassled by the race officials. However, I am dealing with this strange dude. He is one of the staff working for the race organizers. When I saw him last year, he couldn't stop himself from asking me if my 1dmarkIII can take video. He seems to have some knowledge about film photography. Then, he went on and on about video this and video that. I pretended to listen to him and on my way. Now, at the beginning of this racing season, he is constantly asking me to put his SD card into my 1dmarkIII so that he could see and play with my RAW files...LOL I am so damn afraid during my next shoot he would hand me his SD card and I am supposed to hand him my RAW files. LOL I am afraid I have to **** slap this dude one day. I gave him my business card in case he didn't know about my website. Somehow, he is so damn curious about my RAW files. He said he wanted to see how good are my RAW files. :)

Post #1, Apr 21, 2012 19:26:20

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
kenjancef
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
2,276 posts
East Providence, RI 02914
[MORE/SHARE]

I could be wrong, but if you are shooting for yourself, and haven't signed anything, this guy shouldn't even have the right to ask for ANY files.

My answer would be "Thanks, but no thanks..."

Post #2, Apr 21, 2012 21:36:26

Gear List
My Flickr Pageexternal link

Ando27
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2012
1,218 posts
New South Wales Australia
[MORE/SHARE]

Yeah, like your just gunna hand over your RAW file s ????

Ask him how much $$$$ he will give you for them..........

Post #3, Apr 22, 2012 03:03:22

Ando.
"Down Under"
[CENTER][B]Canon 1D4 / 5D3 gripped / 7D gripped / 300f2.8 IS L / 100-400f5.6 L / 70-200f2.8 IS II L / EFS18-200IS / 24-105 f4 IS / 10-20 f4 / 580EXII x 3 /1.4 TC III / 1.4TC II / 2 TC III / 15' Rig / 20' Rig.[CENTER]

AntonLargiader
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
1,819 posts
Charlottesville, VA
[MORE/SHARE]

Could be he's just curious about modern stuff. Me, I'd toss his SD card in and let him take a few pics. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Post #4, Apr 22, 2012 10:36:05

T2i . 18-55 IS . 70-300 IS USM . 70-200 2.8L IS . 28mm 1.8 . 100 Macro . 430EX II . TT1/TT5 . Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 w/3265 ball-mount

primoz
POTN Sports Photographer of the year 2005
Joined Dec 2004
2,532 posts
Anywhere where ski World cup makes its stop
[MORE/SHARE]

Easy solution... start shooting jpeg, and he won't be bugging you anymore for raw files :lol:

Post #5, Apr 22, 2012 11:25:54

PhotoSIexternal link | Latest sport photosexternal linkhttp://www.photo.siexternal link

sponsored links
TooManyShots
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2008
9,045 posts
NYC
[MORE/SHARE]

AntonLargiader wrote in post #14308097external link
Could be he's just curious about modern stuff. Me, I'd toss his SD card in and let him take a few pics. Doesn't seem like a big deal to me.

Hehehe...don't know. Sounds like he wants to see the RAW files of my actual race photos....:) Maybe he wants to see if my photos are that good that even my RAW files are drop dead gorgeous. I think I will lecture him on the art of post processing and why I don't let people to see my unfinished products.

Post #6, Apr 22, 2012 11:27:09

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

AntonLargiader
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2010
1,819 posts
Charlottesville, VA
[MORE/SHARE]

I guess it depends on your need/desire to draw some line between the two of you. I wouldn't, if he were someone I'd be interacting with regularly. Make them his images, not yours. Be sure to completely scramble the settings before you hand him the camera. :)

Nothing wrong with telling him he can't have your real RAWs, but if he wants to play around with one I say let him make one himself. At least you'll find out if he really wants something else.

Post #7, Apr 22, 2012 11:33:40

T2i . 18-55 IS . 70-300 IS USM . 70-200 2.8L IS . 28mm 1.8 . 100 Macro . 430EX II . TT1/TT5 . Bogen/Manfrotto 3021 w/3265 ball-mount

cacawcacaw
Goldmember
Joined May 2010
2,762 posts
Ventura, California
[MORE/SHARE]

TooManyShots wrote in post #14305298external link
...However, I am dealing with this strange dude. ... he went on and on about video this and video that. I pretended to listen to him and on my way. ...

Sounds like every third person who's into cycling. :)

Explain it to him in cycling terms; "Sorry, you're a nice guy but nobody touches my bike or my camera." Tell him that, like all professionals, you're absolutely anal about your equipment, particularly at an event. Tell him you try to be friendly but you've got your routine and are actually constantly on edge, worried about concentrating, watching for mechanical problems, and protecting your images.

If you see him all the time, it wouldn't kill you to take his SD card home, take some non-race shots with it, and let him have the raw files. He probably just wants to figure out the mystique behind using expensive equipment and producing great shots. Give him a couple of unprocessed shots and he'll quickly figure out that it's the rider, not the bike.

Post #8, Apr 22, 2012 11:54:53

For Sale: Canon 7D with Tokina 12-24mm, Canon 17-55mm, Sigma 30mm f/1.4, 85mm f/1.4, and 150-500mm, 580EX.

elrey2375
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2011
4,408 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Yeah, no one gets to see any photos before I tinker with them, RAW or otherwise. I'm also not crazy about non-photogs messing around with my gear. Not that I think they would do anything on purpose but accidents happen. If my gear is going to get destroyed or hurt, it's going to be by me dammit LOL I would just politely say no and if he asks why not just tell him it's your policy and you don't make exceptions, period.

Post #9, Apr 23, 2012 02:09:38

http://emjfotografi.co​m/external link
http://500px.com/EMJFo​tografiexternal link
https://www.facebook.c​om ...Fotografi/313443068​750734external link

mobei
Joined Nov 2009
293 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

He wants to see if the "pro" is that good or is it all in the PP.

Post #10, Apr 23, 2012 20:55:23 as a reply to elrey2375's post 18 hours earlier.

abruckse
Joined Aug 2010
448 posts
Knoxville, TN
[MORE/SHARE]

mobei wrote in post #14316338external link
He wants to see if the "pro" is that good or is it all in the PP.

Definitely sounds like the typical "that camera must take really good pictures" guy.

Post #11, Apr 24, 2012 12:11:30

Andrew
Student Photographer - University of Tennessee Athletic Department
www.andrewbruckse.comexternal link

sponsored links
Michael_nine22
Joined Apr 2012
20 posts
Salem, Oregon
[MORE/SHARE]

tell him there are demo raws from the camera and any camera online(i don't remember wehre but most reviews have them), and let him know you use both card slots so you can't do that for him

Post #12, Apr 24, 2012 17:42:52 as a reply to abruckse's post 5 hours earlier.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,505 views & 0 likes for this thread
Strange people....with strange request.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES