Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Compact Digitals by Canon
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 2nd of December 2005 (Fri)   #1
PDA Bach

Default What settings are "Sports Mode?"

Greetings all,

To those of you with cameras that have a preset sports mode somewhere on your settings dial, can you tell me what shutter speed, aperature, etc. this represents?

I have an S2. Great camera and I like it a lot, but Canon didn't see fit to put that setting on it. I do, however, have a "Custom" setting that I thought I might set up to use for sports-like shots.

I'm expecting that it will be something with a relatively quick shutter speed and I'm guessing it will be a moderate aperature for a reasonable depth-of field, but I thought I'd ask if anyone wanted to share some ideas on presets?

Actually, I'd even like to open this up to a broader question in that I'd ask for general suggestions on what you would use a Custom setting mode for.

(PS: My search of the forum shows me that people are using the S2 for sports shots, and that a DLSR would be better. But I haven't the budget and I'm just looking for a starting point for settings.)
TIA

Last edited by PDA Bach : 3rd of December 2005 (Sat) at 09:11.
PDA Bach is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of December 2005 (Sat)   #2
MTalley

Default Re: What settings are "Sports Mode?"

Can't speak for other cameras, but on my Digital Rebel (300D) Sports Mode forces ISO to 400, turns on AI Servo focusing, automatically enables continuous shooting mode, and makes sure the flash won't fire.

However, when shooting sports outside in shade or sunlight, I usually set the ISO to 100 (or 200 if shady or overcast), set the camera to Aperture Priority mode (Av), turn on the continuous shooting mode manually, set the aperture to the lowest number (I have an f/4 lens, so I set it to 4.0) and go from there.

MTalley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of December 2005 (Sun)   #3
civis

I use the two custom mode slots on my G3 for hypefocal presets, so that I can "snap shot" without waiting for autofocus. Very handy for sports pics and other "must fire right now" opportunities.

http://www.dofmaster.com/hyperfocal.html
civis is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of December 2005 (Wed)   #4
Terry_G

On the later 'A' cameras and the S1, the Sports mode was the only mode that had a true auto ISO. In the other modes including 'Auto', 'Auto ISO' only changed ISO with the flash.

So, I'm not sure if there is a mode on the S2 that has a true auto ISO. You might try 'Kid and Pets' and see if the ISO changes when set to AUTO ISO, it might be similar to the old Sports mode.
Terry_G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of December 2005 (Thu)   #5
snowrdr

Quote:
Originally Posted by PDA Bach
Greetings all,

Actually, I'd even like to open this up to a broader question in that I'd ask for general suggestions on what you would use a Custom setting mode for.
On my S2, my Custom mode is setup like this:

Tv mode @1/1000sec (with safety shift on)
-2/3 exposure compensation
ISO set to 50
Continuous focus
IS set to panning

I have it setup this way so I can switch fast from Manual mode to catch flying birds or moving wildlife. I set the WB to sunny or cloudy to match that day and my shortcut button is linked to IS mode so I can switch fast from panning to single shot and back.

My Gear List

snowrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of December 2005 (Sun)   #6
PDA Bach

Thanks to everyone who responded. You've given me information and ideas and what more could I ask?
PDA Bach is offline   Reply With Quote