Thread started 02 Dec 2005 (Friday) 22:12   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

PDA ­ Bach
Joined Nov 2005
25 posts
The southwestern deserts of the U.S.
[MORE/SHARE]

Greetings all,

To those of you with cameras that have a preset sports mode somewhere on your settings dial, can you tell me what shutter speed, aperature, etc. this represents?

I have an S2. Great camera and I like it a lot, but Canon didn't see fit to put that setting on it. I do, however, have a "Custom" setting that I thought I might set up to use for sports-like shots.

I'm expecting that it will be something with a relatively quick shutter speed and I'm guessing it will be a moderate aperature for a reasonable depth-of field, but I thought I'd ask if anyone wanted to share some ideas on presets?

Actually, I'd even like to open this up to a broader question in that I'd ask for general suggestions on what you would use a Custom setting mode for.

(PS: My search of the forum shows me that people are using the S2 for sports shots, and that a DLSR would be better. But I haven't the budget and I'm just looking for a starting point for settings.)
TIA

Post #1, Dec 02, 2005 22:12:13

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
MTalley
Joined Apr 2005
820 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Can't speak for other cameras, but on my Digital Rebel (300D) Sports Mode forces ISO to 400, turns on AI Servo focusing, automatically enables continuous shooting mode, and makes sure the flash won't fire.

However, when shooting sports outside in shade or sunlight, I usually set the ISO to 100 (or 200 if shady or overcast), set the camera to Aperture Priority mode (Av), turn on the continuous shooting mode manually, set the aperture to the lowest number (I have an f/4 lens, so I set it to 4.0) and go from there.

Post #2, Dec 03, 2005 23:14:05

external link

civis
Joined Sep 2003
235 posts
Midwest USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I use the two custom mode slots on my G3 for hypefocal presets, so that I can "snap shot" without waiting for autofocus. Very handy for sports pics and other "must fire right now" opportunities.

http://www.dofmaster.c​om/hyperfocal.htmlexternal link

Post #3, Dec 04, 2005 00:14:00

Terry_G
Joined Nov 2003
34 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

On the later 'A' cameras and the S1, the Sports mode was the only mode that had a true auto ISO. In the other modes including 'Auto', 'Auto ISO' only changed ISO with the flash.

So, I'm not sure if there is a mode on the S2 that has a true auto ISO. You might try 'Kid and Pets' and see if the ISO changes when set to AUTO ISO, it might be similar to the old Sports mode.

Post #4, Dec 07, 2005 14:26:28 as a reply to civis's post 3 days earlier.

snowrdr
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2004
1,181 posts
Oregon
[MORE/SHARE]

PDA Bach wrote:
Greetings all,

Actually, I'd even like to open this up to a broader question in that I'd ask for general suggestions on what you would use a Custom setting mode for.

On my S2, my Custom mode is setup like this:

Tv mode @1/1000sec (with safety shift on)
-2/3 exposure compensation
ISO set to 50
Continuous focus
IS set to panning

I have it setup this way so I can switch fast from Manual mode to catch flying birds or moving wildlife. I set the WB to sunny or cloudy to match that day and my shortcut button is linked to IS mode so I can switch fast from panning to single shot and back.

Post #5, Dec 08, 2005 10:52:33

-Dave
My Gear List

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
PDA ­ Bach
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2005
25 posts
The southwestern deserts of the U.S.
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks to everyone who responded. You've given me information and ideas and what more could I ask? :)

Post #6, Dec 11, 2005 16:52:23 as a reply to snowrdr's post 3 days earlier.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,184 views & 0 likes for this thread
What settings are "Sports Mode?"
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Small Compact Digitals by Canon

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES