Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Macro Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 22nd of April 2012 (Sun)   #1
Tom Camilleri

Default Reverse mounting on a zoom- general questions

I want to reverse mount my 28mm EF 1.8 on 100-300mm telephoto zoom. Is there a bayonet adapter which can be used with a filter to protect the contacts and exposed glass on the 28mm? The zoom has a 58mm filter connector so a 58mm coupler will be perfect. The zoom itself is around 9 inches long. Will a coupler be sturdy enough to hold the weight of the 28mm safely?

When focusing this setup should I use the zoom autofocus, the zoom manual (in either case, should the 28mm be pre-focused before mounting?) or the 28mm lens' manual focus? Might be best to focus from a distance on a point manually.

The zoom is an old L with really great(!) optics but somewhat clunky autofocus which has three focus modes: M, 2m to infinity, macro to infinity. I don't know what the working distance is for the macro setting. Aperture range is f/5.6 to 32.

I should be able to get huge magnification with this rig. Any insights on what working distance and best possible DOF might be? I'm thinking it might be great on a tripod for butterflies and such.
40D, Digital Rebel 300D; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS, EF 28-135 IS, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, 85mm f/1.8, 28mm f/1.8, Speedlite 380 EX, Sekonic L758DR w/target, Manfrotto 3021 w/3030 pan-tilt head & quick release plate, POTN Strap

Last edited by Tom Camilleri : 22nd of April 2012 (Sun) at 14:41. Reason: omission
Tom Camilleri is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 22nd of April 2012 (Sun)   #2
tonylong
....winded

Default Re: Reverse mounting on a zoom- general questions

I can't answer your specific questions, but there are other threads going on about reverse-mounting you can check out:

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/....php?t=1176275

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/....php?t=1175600

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/....php?t=1173032

In addition, if you look at the bottom of this page in the Similar Threads section, you will see that your thread title had key words that triggered a forum "mini-search" with some good results.

Now, while you are looking at those threads, maybe someone who knows more "stuff" about this than I do can chime in, or you might want to PM LordV who knows a lot (he posted in the first thread I linked to).

Hope this helps you to at least get started!
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of April 2012 (Sun)   #3
Tom Camilleri

Default Re: Reverse mounting on a zoom- general questions

Thanks Tony. Interesting threads. I have a camera mount reverse adapter and reverse coupler on order. Around $15 total with free shipping from Adorama so it's cheap to experiment. With three or four lenses which will work with them there will be a number of possible combinations.
40D, Digital Rebel 300D; EF-S 17-55 f/2.8 IS, EF 28-135 IS, EF 50mm f/2.5 Compact Macro, 85mm f/1.8, 28mm f/1.8, Speedlite 380 EX, Sekonic L758DR w/target, Manfrotto 3021 w/3030 pan-tilt head & quick release plate, POTN Strap
Tom Camilleri is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member