Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Motorsports Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 27th of April 2012 (Fri)   #1
A|B Photography

Default Drift Event Tips Please

There is an upcoming Drift Event at a local track this upcoming week. I will be using my Rebel T3i with a Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 lens. I have gained access to shoot on the track. Was wondering what settings you would suggest.
A|B Photography is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 27th of April 2012 (Fri)   #2
timeasterday

Default Re: Drift Event Tips Please

At the track I usually keep the camera in Tv or manual mode with the shutter speed anywhere from 1/100 to 1/160 (maybe slower depending on the speed of the cars and if I didn't have too much coffee that morning). I meter off the sunlit grass in Tv mode and check where it's putting my aperture. I don't like shooting at really small apertures so on bright days I typically have a CPL filter on the lens to help get slower exposures. Then if the light seems like it will be pretty consistent I switch over to manual mode (makes post-processing easier when my exposures aren't changing too much). Check the histogram as you start shooting and tweak as necessary.
Old 27th of April 2012 (Fri)   #3
DC Fan
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Drift Event Tips Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by A|B Photography View Post
There is an upcoming Drift Event at a local track this upcoming week. I will be using my Rebel T3i with a Tamron 18-200mm f/3.5-6.3 lens. I have gained access to shoot on the track. Was wondering what settings you would suggest.
Drifting images can benefit from a slow shutter speed.

Exposure Time: 0.017 s (1/60)
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB
GPS Coordinate: undefined, undefined
DC Fan is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member