VSCO Cam? Anyone else tried it yet? It's amazing, imo (some photos :)

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk
Thread started 27 Apr 2012 (Friday) 19:03   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

bnlearle
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
1,897 posts
San Diego
[MORE/SHARE]

tim wrote in post #14342511external link
Do we really need another "hey look I can do washed out muted color vintage looking photos" app? In ten years people will be thinking "gee I wish I'd taken that photo properly not followed the fads".

It's like selective color, it was cool for a while but now it just looks dated.

Dude, it's an iPhone app ;)

And selective color is a ridiculous extreme that really only took off with the bottom of the barrel (in regard to talent).

As far as fads go, the wedding industry is FILLED with horrible fads. Nearly all of the bad fads in photography exist in a disproportionate amount in the wedding industry. This is why very few people in the commercial world are won over by these fads. But VSCO is different. Seriously legit commercial photographers who constantly hate on wedding fads are impressed with it. Selective color never had that going for it ;)

And for the record, I think nearly all of the camera apps look awful. Instagram has a FEW options that aren't over the top -- which is why I enjoyed using it -- but hipstagram and all the others go over the edge. VSCO Cam is the only I've found that I'm pretty freaking amazed by. So it's not like I'm hopping from one fad to the next here...

snakeman55 wrote in post #14342644external link
Tim I get your point but a. These aren't terribly 'not normal' looking photos and b. selective color was never cool...

Bingo ;)

highway0691 wrote in post #14342674external link
Nice photos but nothing you couldn't do with a preset in ACR with a modicum of energy.

What in the world would possess me to do that with random, fun, spur of the moment iPhone photos that I WILL NOT take with any other camera because I simply don't bring extra things along with me. I don't care how small a PnS is, if I need to remember to grab it, I usually won't. And once I had my son, I simply didn't want to miss some awesome moment because I forgot to grab my PnS (which I often did). My iPhone is different. I always have it. It's in my pocket when I'm walking around the house, sitting on the couch, playing fetch with my dogs, pushing my son in the swing... The first photo I posted was from my wife when I was napping with my boy. She's not a photographer. But she has an iPhone. And I'm happy about that because this picture wouldn't exist if it weren't for camera phones. Nearly every photo after has a similar story. By the time I might run in the house and grab my PnS, whatever I wanted to shoot is probably gone.

And the fact that the photo might not make it into some awesome portfolio couldn't bother me less.

scorpio_e wrote in post #14342885external link
I hate the new FADs..

These are not overcooked. I do like these and for the price a winner:)

Thanks!

1kerry wrote in post #14343785external link
nice results....would you mind to share how you tweaked the 4th one?

No clue :) I tend to use #4, #5, and #6 for colors though so probably one of those?

snakeman55 wrote in post #14346086external link
For me the main point is that it's with me 100% of the time. Another point is being able to capture a moment and process it into something cool on the spot and throw it on Facebook. I take a picture of some nice scenery, or my son or whatever and post it on FB from the car/restaurant/whereve​r. More than a few times I've received a message within 10 minutes of posting an iphone pic to FB that someone wants a portrait session. It's just a nice subtle way of reminding people I'm around and I take good pictures...

Took the words out of my mouth :)

Post #16, Apr 29, 2012 21:42:06

twitterexternal link // facebookexternal link
Websiteexternal link
San Diego Wedding Photographer blogexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
highway0691
Joined Sep 2006
667 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Here's a suggestion for POTN. Start a new section called "Smartphone Photography & other Fads" Let the love-in begin.:lol::lol::lol:

Post #17, Apr 29, 2012 22:29:37

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept. Ansell Adams

snakeman55
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2005
1,223 posts
Baltimore, Md
[MORE/SHARE]

highway0691 wrote in post #14350864external link
Here's a suggestion for POTN. Start a new section called "Smartphone Photography & other Fads" Let the love-in begin.:lol::lol::lol:

Smartphone photography is a fad like computers and digital cameras are fads....

Post #18, Apr 29, 2012 22:40:35

-Adam
Wedding Photographers in Marylandexternal link
Gear

nicksan
Man I Like to Fart
Joined Oct 2006
24,586 posts
NYC
[MORE/SHARE]

Yeah, I guess from a cell phone camera point of view, this is all cool and what not. Honestly it's up to the individual whether "everyday" shots like these are good enough taken with an iPhone. They certainly look fine for what they are IMO. I use my iPhone camera as well and in a very casual way.

As for these actions/plugins for LR/PS on "real" photos, for the lack of a better term, not really into it.

Post #19, Apr 30, 2012 09:09:45

NYC Wedding Photographerexternal link | Blogexternal link | facebookexternal link | Flickrexternal link | Gear

picturecrazy
soft-hearted weenie-boy
Joined Jan 2006
8,504 posts
Alberta, CANADA
[MORE/SHARE]

Well, I guess I never really got into the vintage faded look either. I like sepia and cross processing but all these apps start looking the same to me after a while. I could never tell the diff between an instawhatever hipstawhatever and now vsco they all look the same to me.

highway0691 wrote in post #14350864external link

You know I think that would actually be a good thing to add to the forum. Seriously. (Minus the "other fads" part)

And if you guys want a seriously good camera phone, nobody and I mean nobody can touch what Nokia is putting out. The Nokia 808 IQ trumps almost all real PnS cams (except maybe the G1 X), and the second best camera phone out there is the old Nokia N8 that the 808 replaced. Since my wife got the N8, we've really stopped taking the camera out; the image quality is better than any of my real compact cameras (likely because the N8 sensor totally DWARFS PnS sensors, and now the 808 sensor dwarfs the N8 sensor). The files are very smooth, NOT oversharpened, NOT oversaturated, NOT over contrasted like 99% of smarphones. Just a beautiful, clean file with clean tones that's an excellent foundation for any post work, or to leave as-is.

So if you are looking for image quality and a sensor that is goliath-sized compared to your iPhone sensor, consider a Nokia N8 or 808. I mean, you can even play a bit with DOF effects. I believe even with the N900 N910 and N9 it can write RAW DNG files, though with my N900 I only ever used jpeg. The N8/808 also comes with a REAL flash. None of the weak-ass LED BS.

Post #20, Apr 30, 2012 10:59:45

-Lloyd
BOUDOIR WEBSITE: The BOUDOIR - Edmonton Intimate Boudoir Photographyexternal link
Lifestyle Website: Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Studio Family Baby Child Maternity Wedding Photographersexternal link
Facebookexternal link | Twitterexternal link | Gear

sponsored links
tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,517 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

People who are into the current fad don't see them as a fad.

Post #21, Apr 30, 2012 18:09:26

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

snakeman55
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2005
1,223 posts
Baltimore, Md
[MORE/SHARE]

I spend a lot of time feeling old lately. This thread makes me feel young, I like it. I keep reading the word whippersnapper between the lines.

I wouldn't have this pic if I didn't have my phone in my hoodie pocket, and iPhone has a quick-cam button basically. My dogs and son stoked about my wife getting home. It's probably my favorite pic ever.

IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/9Bkn0.jpg

Post #22, Apr 30, 2012 18:18:44

-Adam
Gear

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,517 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

Nice pic, but it looks like a faded photo from the 70s. I think the dog may have peed too ;)

Post #23, Apr 30, 2012 18:47:24

Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link

snakeman55
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2005
1,223 posts
Baltimore, Md
[MORE/SHARE]

tim wrote in post #14356059external link
Nice pic, but it looks like a faded photo from the 70s. I think the dog may have peed too ;)

Haha - I have the original file so I can process it with each new fad ;) My point is that I captured that awesome moment because of my iPhone.

Post #24, Apr 30, 2012 18:52:58

-Adam
Gear

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,517 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

There's no denying that the best camera is the one you have on you at the time.

Post #25, Apr 30, 2012 19:08:32

CrayonNinja
Joined Feb 2012
222 posts
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

Damn, is it possible for someone on this forum to actually be happy with something and enjoy a photo that may not suite their own tastes? Good on ya for getting vsco cam man, I've been meaning to check out their lightroom filters next time I have some spare income, it's a great fun effect to share with your friends and create some interesting art.

Post #26, Apr 30, 2012 21:02:49

sponsored links
highway0691
Joined Sep 2006
667 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

CrayonNinja wrote in post #14356902external link
Damn, is it possible for someone on this forum to actually be happy with something and enjoy a photo that may not suite their own tastes? Good on ya for getting vsco cam man, I've been meaning to check out their lightroom filters next time I have some spare income, it's a great fun effect to share with your friends and create some interesting art.

Plenty of places to have our egos massaged outside this forum. I've just re-read this post and although it's been a robust discussion and good points have been made on both sides, it's been handled in good spirit IMO. If people start agreeing on everything I'm outa-here:wink::lol:

Post #27, Apr 30, 2012 21:50:24

There is nothing worse than a sharp image of a fuzzy concept. Ansell Adams

tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,517 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

If your images rely on faddish filters or processing to look good perhaps more thought or care is required in making the original image.

Post #28, Apr 30, 2012 21:54:08

CTP
Joined Feb 2010
349 posts
Northern Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

tim wrote in post #14357245external link
If your images rely on faddish filters or processing to look good perhaps more thought or care is required in making the original image.

You know Tim, I think you would have much less stress in your life if you just spoke your mind more freely and didnt try and be so politically correct all the time.

Post #29, Apr 30, 2012 22:32:24

5D III x2 and 7D, 16-35L II, 24L TS-E II, 24L II, 50L, 85L II, 100L, 135L, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, Σ 150-500 OS, 580ex IIx2
Rockford IL Wedding Photographerexternal link, my blogexternal link and my facebook pageexternal link.

davidwai90
Joined Apr 2012
35 posts
Columbus, Ohio
[MORE/SHARE]

I got this app the second it came out. $0.99 no hesitation. It's worth every penny. I normally use VSCO Film, so that's why I knew this would be a quality app. I recently did a blog post about it too! http://t.co/j8vt9QEWexternal link

Post #30, Apr 30, 2012 23:19:51

davidwai.comexternal link | Facebookexternal link | Twitterexternal link | Flickrexternal link
Gear: Canon EOS 5D mkII; Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM
Wish List: Canon EF 35mm f/1.4L IS USM; Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM

LIST NEARBY THREADS
9,008 views & 0 likes for this thread
VSCO Cam? Anyone else tried it yet? It's amazing, imo (some photos :)
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES