Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The Business of Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #1
willspective

Default 350 Employees??

So I was offered the opportunity to do a photoshoot for a company that has 350 employees. They want basic headshots/portraits of each employee, on a standard backdrop that they will provide. It will span over two days and they only need the photos digitally (via a password protected gallery).

They will be used on their website, Microsoft outlook as well as their security badges. The photos are to be no larger than 50 kb in size so as to not distort the images when importing them onto the designated locations.

I'm supposed to submit a proposal to them, but I'm not sure at all how much to charge. I'm thinking of submitting the proposal for $10 a person. Thoughts, anyone?
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #2
CMfromIL

Default Re: 350 Employees??

Quite honestly, if they are asking for basic shots, no post production work, and the files I think that $3500 is going to be on the high side of what they want to pay.

I work for an organization with 2500 employees and HR does this all the time (takes the pictures). Granted it's not a stunner of a photography job but for a badge it's perfect.

For 2 days work, if it's simply going to entail you to say "Sit here, smile, click, NEXT" I'd do a real hard look at your time and expenses and see if you could trim it down a bit.

$2000 sure would be good for 2 days work, versus proposing $3500 and not gettting it.

Why were you asked? Had you done work for them before? What is your 'in' on this? Have they given you a budget they are expecting to pay?
CMfromIL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #3
willspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMfromIL View Post
Quite honestly, if they are asking for basic shots, no post production work, and the files I think that $3500 is going to be on the high side of what they want to pay.

I work for an organization with 2500 employees and HR does this all the time (takes the pictures). Granted it's not a stunner of a photography job but for a badge it's perfect.

For 2 days work, if it's simply going to entail you to say "Sit here, smile, click, NEXT" I'd do a real hard look at your time and expenses and see if you could trim it down a bit.

$2000 sure would be good for 2 days work, versus proposing $3500 and not gettting it.

Why were you asked? Had you done work for them before? What is your 'in' on this? Have they given you a budget they are expecting to pay?
They didn't give me a budget. My "in" on this is that a high school friend is the second-in-charge of this project, and she approached me about it. There may be a little bit of editing involved, I'm not sure.

I was thinking of submitting the $3,500 proposal and adding that if it is out of their budget that some negotiation may be possible. The thing is, they don't just want like a "sit here, smile, click," they're trying to make it fun for their employees. A DJ, etc. I'm going to suggest maybe doing one "fun" pose and then one serious one.

They're also interested in having a monitor on set for employees to see their pictures, which I think is pretty simple to set up, but it's also a little extra tidbit. My friend told me specifically that HR usually does that type of work, but they want a higher quality product. It's a cruise company so, they are not as business-oriented in the sense that their pictures don't have to be extremely professional.

Thoughts with this further information?
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #4
CMfromIL

Quote:
Originally Posted by willspective View Post
They didn't give me a budget. My "in" on this is that a high school friend is the second-in-charge of this project, and she approached me about it. There may be a little bit of editing involved, I'm not sure.

I was thinking of submitting the $3,500 proposal and adding that if it is out of their budget that some negotiation may be possible. The thing is, they don't just want like a "sit here, smile, click," they're trying to make it fun for their employees. A DJ, etc. I'm going to suggest maybe doing one "fun" pose and then one serious one.

They're also interested in having a monitor on set for employees to see their pictures, which I think is pretty simple to set up, but it's also a little extra tidbit. My friend told me specifically that HR usually does that type of work, but they want a higher quality product. It's a cruise company so, they are not as business-oriented in the sense that their pictures don't have to be extremely professional.

Thoughts with this further information?
First, I've highlighted a section in bold. If you include that, they would be foolish NOT to negotiate your pricing. I know if I were on the receiving end of the table, and that clause were included my first comment would be "how much lower can you go" before even reading it.

Secondly, based on your additional information your pricing may not be out of line. Sounds like there may be more work than will be anticipated. Particularly if they are allowing employees the 'luxury' of viewing their photo on the spot. Without a doubt there will be plenty of reshoots.

Good luck, sounds like a fun project. Hope you get it.
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #5
Gameface
User is banned from forums

If the person is your friend, be honest and ask them what the budget they had set aside for the project was. Shoot for that.
Gameface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #6
willspective

Quote:
First, I've highlighted a section in bold. If you include that, they would be foolish NOT to negotiate your pricing. I know if I were on the receiving end of the table, and that clause were included my first comment would be "how much lower can you go" before even reading it.

Secondly, based on your additional information your pricing may not be out of line. Sounds like there may be more work than will be anticipated. Particularly if they are allowing employees the 'luxury' of viewing their photo on the spot. Without a doubt there will be plenty of reshoots.

Good luck, sounds like a fun project. Hope you get it.
Haha, thanks a lot. Yeah, see, I thought initially it may be a little too high, and that's fine with me. I'd settle for a slightly lower price, which is why I overshot a little to meet in the middle. Everybody wins!
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #7
willspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gameface View Post
If the person is your friend, be honest and ask them what the budget they had set aside for the project was. Shoot for that.
I asked her! She wasn't given the specific budget numbers because it has to go through the project manager no matter what, so she couldn't tell me accurately if my number was too high or not, which is why I turned to the great folks on POTN.
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #8
CMfromIL

Now that I'm thinking about this, I'm wondering how the heck are you going to do 350 shots in 2 days?

Thats 175 people in a day. Figure a 12 hour shoot, that's nearly 15 people an hour. 1 every 4 minutes?

How many people will be shooting with you? This job could kill you. Literally!
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #9
willspective

Quote:
Now that I'm thinking about this, I'm wondering how the heck are you going to do 350 shots in 2 days?

Thats 175 people in a day. Figure a 12 hour shoot, that's nearly 15 people an hour. 1 every 4 minutes?

How many people will be shooting with you? This job could kill you. Literally!
At least one other person will be shooting with me, I think..ahh, I'll cross that bridge when I get to it, IF I get to it.
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #10
jra
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
4 minutes for each person should be more than enough time.....In fact, if the set up is done properly and well thought out, he should be able to do it in half of that time. Shooting youth sports, I can average a child about every 60-90 seconds (sometimes closer to 2 minutes with the younger ones)....and it's not rushed at all. The only problem would be if he's allowing a viewing session and then trying to do re-shoots, etc.... Then time may be an issue.

Last edited by jra : 1st of May 2012 (Tue) at 13:12.
jra is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #11
CMfromIL

I'm just thinking about the live DJ, different poses (one fun!) etc. It just sounds like he'll either be rushed or trying to do too much in a short time. If he has another shooter that of course would be a big help.
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #12
willspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by jra View Post
4 minutes for each person should be more than enough time.....In fact, if the set up is done properly and well thought out, he should be able to do it in half of that time. Shooting youth sports, I can average a child about every 60-90 seconds (sometimes closer to 2 minutes with the younger ones)....and it's not rushed at all. The only problem would be if he's allowing a viewing session and then trying to do re-shoots, etc.... Then time may be an issue.
Quote:
I'm just thinking about the live DJ, different poses (one fun!) etc. It just sounds like he'll either be rushed or trying to do too much in a short time. If he has another shooter that of course would be a big help.
I don't necessarily think the screen-viewing is to decide whether to do a re-shoot or not, it's more to see their image right after it was taken, a-la a rollercoaster shot? I don't think it's unreasonable, but hey, there's only one way I can find out, right?
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #13
nathancarter
Goldmember

Your camera has a burst rate of 5fps, you should be able to get 'em done in a little more than a minute. Let's call it two minutes, that way you get to take a 45-second break in the middle to have a cigarette and a Coke.

In a little more seriousness:
If someone else is managing the line - ideally, someone provided by the company, who knows the employees and can keep them organized - four minutes per person isn't unreasonable. If you have to herd people and manage the line yourself, it's going to take a lot longer.

Tether into Lightroom or Canon's software so they can see the photos as you take them (per request), expect some re-shoots, but don't let any individual hog your setup for more than two or three minutes. Take a ten-minutes break to catch your breath and back up your files after every department (or so).

If it were me, I'd shoot it tethered into Lightroom. That would make it the fastest and simplest, I think. You can set up your white balance in advance, shoot a couple of test shots of yourself or a helper, then set your develop settings (contrast, sharpening, etc) on the test shots. Then, while shooting tethered, Lightroom can automatically apply those develop settings to each file as they come in. Have your company-provided helper move the line, keep track of names, etc. After shooting a few takes of each person, immediately mark your keeper(s) with a flag or star-rating. Then once the last person is done, just filter to those keepers, and export 'em. Shoot, burn, get paid.
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #14
Talley
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
Your camera has a burst rate of 5fps, you should be able to get 'em done in a little more than a minute. Let's call it two minutes, that way you get to take a 45-second break in the middle to have a cigarette and a Coke.

If someone else is managing the line - ideally, someone provided by the company, who knows the employees and can keep them organized - four minutes per person isn't unreasonable. If you have to herd people and manage the line yourself, it's going to take a lot longer.

Tether into Lightroom or Canon's software so they can see the photos as you take them (per request), expect some re-shoots, but don't let any individual hog your setup for more than two or three minutes. Take a ten-minutes break to catch your breath and back up your files after every department (or so).

If it were me, I'd shoot it tethered into Lightroom. That would make it the fastest and simplest, I think. You can set up your white balance in advance, shoot a couple of test shots of yourself or a helper, then set your develop settings (contrast, sharpening, etc) on the test shots. Then, while shooting tethered, Lightroom can automatically apply those develop settings to each file as they come in. Have your company-provided helper move the line, keep track of names, etc. After shooting a few takes of each person, immediately mark your keeper(s) with a flag or star-rating. Then once the last person is done, just filter to those keepers, and export 'em. Shoot, burn, get paid.
Sounds like you done this before.
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #15
willspective

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post

Excuse me while I print this and put it up on my wall. That was awesome! Thank you very much!