FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk
Thread started 01 May 2012 (Tuesday) 13:43   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

snowmants
Mostly Lurking
Joined Feb 2012
11 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

This past weekend I was drifting at VIR and I brought my camera (T3i) along. Unfortunately I coudnt very well shoot photos of myself drifting s I handed my camera to some people that were watching. I put the camera in SPORT mode so that it would take rapid fire shots an hopefully keep from blurring too much. Some of the shots came out OK and I was able to photoshop them pretty heavily. My question is, Is there a best mode to put the camera in when handing it to an inexperienced person?

http://dl.dropbox.com ...R%20drift%201%20x12​60.jpgexternal link

http://dl.dropbox.com .../S14/IMG_3671%20x12​60.jpgexternal link

http://dl.dropbox.com .../S14/IMG_3696%20x12​60.jpgexternal link

Post #1, May 01, 2012 13:43:08

T3i w/a few lenses...

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
DazJW
Joined Jan 2010
319 posts
Teesside
[MORE/SHARE]

Any of the auto variants change settings that I wouldn't want changed and make it easier for the camera to mess up the shots. If you're giving the camera to someone who won't understand what the camera is doing they're not going to catch it making mistakes by itself so I'd want to minimise the chance of them letting the camera do something silly.
If the light was consistent I'd set it to M with settings for correct exposure and whatever other considerations need to be made for the type of photography. If the light wasn't consistent then it would be Av or Tv depending on which of aperture and shutter speed was more important for what they were going to be photographing.

However, I think other camera functions are far more likely to cause them problems than the exposure mode. Stuff like how your autofocus is set up (mine is back button activation and manual selection of AF points so I'd have to undo those), whether the rear dial is enabled (you won't have that on a T3i - it controls exposure compensation in Av/Tv and aperture setting in M) and that kind of thing are what I'd be more concerned about.

Post #2, May 02, 2012 10:33:52

dinanm3atl
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2008
2,979 posts
Atlanta, GA
[MORE/SHARE]

If it was me I would set the focus point to center, AI Servo and shutter priority. Put it on high burst and give them a quick run down on what to do. Let them blast away.

When I do this with friends 1/160 is usually what I hand them. Could go lower but you risk getting no shots.

Post #3, May 03, 2012 10:18:43

Halston - MotorSports Photographer
7D Grip'd - 7D Grip'd - 5D MKII Grip'd - EOS M - 300L f/2.8 - 70-200L f/2.8 - 24-105L f/4 - 17-40L f/4 - 50 f/1.4 - 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye - 1.4x TC - 2x TC
MotorSportMedia - My Motorsport Photography Siteexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
613 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best mode to use when handing your camera to a novice
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES