Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Motorsports Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #1
snowmants

Default Best mode to use when handing your camera to a novice

This past weekend I was drifting at VIR and I brought my camera (T3i) along. Unfortunately I coudnt very well shoot photos of myself drifting s I handed my camera to some people that were watching. I put the camera in SPORT mode so that it would take rapid fire shots an hopefully keep from blurring too much. Some of the shots came out OK and I was able to photoshop them pretty heavily. My question is, Is there a best mode to put the camera in when handing it to an inexperienced person?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39875831/S14...01%20x1260.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39875831/S14...71%20x1260.jpg

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/39875831/S14...96%20x1260.jpg

Last edited by Skip Souza : 3rd of May 2012 (Thu) at 15:08. Reason: Over sized images converted to links
snowmants is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of May 2012 (Wed)   #2
DazJW

Default Re: Best mode to use when handing your camera to a novice

Any of the auto variants change settings that I wouldn't want changed and make it easier for the camera to mess up the shots. If you're giving the camera to someone who won't understand what the camera is doing they're not going to catch it making mistakes by itself so I'd want to minimise the chance of them letting the camera do something silly.
If the light was consistent I'd set it to M with settings for correct exposure and whatever other considerations need to be made for the type of photography. If the light wasn't consistent then it would be Av or Tv depending on which of aperture and shutter speed was more important for what they were going to be photographing.

However, I think other camera functions are far more likely to cause them problems than the exposure mode. Stuff like how your autofocus is set up (mine is back button activation and manual selection of AF points so I'd have to undo those), whether the rear dial is enabled (you won't have that on a T3i - it controls exposure compensation in Av/Tv and aperture setting in M) and that kind of thing are what I'd be more concerned about.
DazJW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of May 2012 (Thu)   #3
dinanm3atl
Goldmember

Default Re: Best mode to use when handing your camera to a novice

If it was me I would set the focus point to center, AI Servo and shutter priority. Put it on high burst and give them a quick run down on what to do. Let them blast away.

When I do this with friends 1/160 is usually what I hand them. Could go lower but you risk getting no shots.
dinanm3atl is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member