FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 01 May 2012 (Tuesday) 22:51   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

h_scott_a
Hatchling
Joined Aug 2011
2 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I need to get new glasses soon (it's been 4 years) and am pondering getting Transitions lenses. (the ones that are clear when indoors but darken in the bright outdoors)

I don't have either a separate pair of sunglasses or clip-ons, mostly because it's a PITA.

My concern is them getting too dark when outside and impacting what I'm able to see through the viewfinder.

Do any of you shoot while wearing these?

Thanks,

Scott

Post #1, May 01, 2012 22:51:15

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Tom_D
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
1,391 posts
Napa ~ on the edge of retirement.
[MORE/SHARE]

Yep, all the time and no problems. If anything, as dark glasses, they don't get dark enough. Don't get me wrong, a lot better than no sun glasses at all.

Oh, they don't work in the car so you still need sun glasses for driving. I have a pair of dark glasses in the car I drive the most and another pair to take with me when riding in any other car. This second pair are very dark and work well for activities in very bright sunlight.

If anyone ever takes YOUR photo outdoors you'll be wearing dark glasses with no clear glasses to change into.

Walking from the sun into a dark room the lenses don't change as fast as I'd like and I find myself taking them off till the glasses adjust.

MOST of the time the Transition glasses are great, you just need to be aware of the limitations.

It seems there should be some technology to put a slider on the glasses temple to adjust the darkness of the lenses. Till then, I'll keep using the Transition lenses.

Post #2, May 01, 2012 23:38:53

Galleryexternal link
7DMkII, 40D, 17-55, 70-200 f/2.8 IS and more...
Hell, if I could explain it to the average person, it wouldn't have been worth the Nobel prize.Richard Feynman

KCY
Unlocked the hidden 117 point AF
Joined Jun 2009
7,162 posts
I wish I knew...
[MORE/SHARE]

I'm wearing an transition lenses, older generation, and for me I think I will not get transition lenses again.

My glasses tint brown when they change and I find this throws off my interperation of colour making everything seem warmer than what other people would see.

However maybe grey tint would fair better?

Post #3, May 02, 2012 03:41:13

KC - The Circle of PoTN - Member of the UCPC
My Gear|My Smugmugexternal link|Pong

hollis_f
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2007
10,416 posts
Sussex, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

They can be a real pain in the cold, when they become ultra-sensitive. One can look a real dork, walking around when it's freezing cold and slightly overcast - with shades!

Post #4, May 02, 2012 05:35:13

Frank Hollis - Retired mass spectroscopist
Give a man a fish and he'll eat for a day. Teach a man to fish and he'll complain about the withdrawal of his free fish entitlement.
Gear Websiteexternal link

mspringfield
Joined Jun 2005
854 posts
Atlanta, GA
[MORE/SHARE]

Scott,

I have the latest generation grey that I got from Costco about 5 months ago that replaced a 4 year old pair. There is a world of difference between them. They really seem to be getting the technology down. There was a bit of a "break in period" that I was warned about where they would take a while to change and not get as dark as normal. I took them out on my deck and laid them on a table in direct sunlight a couple of times and that seemed to help the 'break in". Now they will change in less than a minute. I have no problems with color interpretation or seeing clearly through the viewfinder.

When I started wearing transitions they were for times when I wanted to be out in the yard or a quick trip to the store and just didn't want to bother putting in contacts. These new one are so good that I actually find myself wearing them more than ever, 60% contacts - 40% glasses where before it was probably more 90-10. I was able to get a pair of so called "designer" frames, ultra light lenses, bi-focal (not only am I blind as a bat, I am an old fart.. lol), anti-scratch, transitions for just over $300 at Costco. Well worth it.

Michael

Post #5, May 02, 2012 06:09:23

Michael Springfield - Atlanta, GA
Canon 1DsMkII, Canon 1DMkIII, Canon EOS M, Canon 28-70mm 2.8L, Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS, Canon 100mm F/2, Canon 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro, Canon 135mm F/2L, Canon 200mm F/1.8L, Canon 300mm F/4L IS, Canon EF 1.4x II

sponsored links
DisrupTer911
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2008
2,165 posts
NJ, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

I've been wearing transitions lens perscription glasses since v.2 of the varieties, they're at v.7 now and I've never once had a problem with the viewfinder or lcd screens.

They aren't polarized sunglasses that cause LCDs to go dark or rainbow colors so you don't need to worry about that.

Post #6, May 02, 2012 08:19:23

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
44,428 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I've been using them for years, agree with Frank that they can be a PIA when it's brisk outside. I will sometimes take mine off and get them out of the sun before putting them on a framing up a shot.

Post #7, May 02, 2012 09:05:58

h_scott_a
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
Joined Aug 2011
2 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Thanks for the feedback, guys. :)

Post #8, May 02, 2012 10:55:22

phonedrn8
Joined Dec 2010
73 posts
Las Vegas, NV
[MORE/SHARE]

im in the same boat maybe i need to get a clear pair just for shooting outdoors

Post #9, Feb 01, 2013 14:57:58

Phonedrn8
Las Vegas, NV
Canon Rebel EOS-T2I 18-135mm IS, 55-250mm IS

mikeinctown
Goldmember
Joined May 2012
1,393 posts
Cleveland
[MORE/SHARE]

I was about to order them for the two new pairs I just ordered but didn't. I was then told how they didn't work in a car and how they aren't as dark as normal sunglasses. I was glad I didn't order them for the extra $$.

<edit> sorry, didn't see it was such an old thread that got bumped up.

Post #10, Feb 06, 2013 14:45:25

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
44,428 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I do, but they can be difficult to see thru when it's really bright. I just ordered a couple pair of new ones, got one with the transition and one without.

Post #11, Feb 06, 2013 17:41:15

sponsored links
maverick75
Goldmember
Joined May 2012
3,785 posts
Riverside,California
[MORE/SHARE]

I hate wearing glasses when using my DSLR, so I use none and just adjust the diopter.

Post #12, Feb 06, 2013 17:44:07

- Alex Corona
Flickrexternal link - 500pxexternal link - Websiteexternal link - Feedback

pbelarge
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2010
2,832 posts
Westchester County, NY
[MORE/SHARE]

I recently got new glasses. I did not get the transition type, as I had them before and the are terrible to work with.
I can say now that I have had the new glasses, it is so much easier to work with.

They never worked like sunglasses do anyway. A real waste of the extra cost.

Post #13, Feb 06, 2013 18:05:17 as a reply to maverick75's post 21 minutes earlier.

just a few of my thoughts...
Pierre

Tom_D
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2005
1,391 posts
Napa ~ on the edge of retirement.
[MORE/SHARE]

I guess we all need to wait for these.external link

Post #14, Feb 06, 2013 20:15:26

Galleryexternal link
7DMkII, 40D, 17-55, 70-200 f/2.8 IS and more...
Hell, if I could explain it to the average person, it wouldn't have been worth the Nobel prize.Richard Feynman

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,757 views & 0 likes for this thread
Transitions(tm) prescription lenses
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES