Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > General Photography Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #1
h_scott_a

Question Transitions(tm) prescription lenses

I need to get new glasses soon (it's been 4 years) and am pondering getting Transitions lenses. (the ones that are clear when indoors but darken in the bright outdoors)

I don't have either a separate pair of sunglasses or clip-ons, mostly because it's a PITA.

My concern is them getting too dark when outside and impacting what I'm able to see through the viewfinder.

Do any of you shoot while wearing these?

Thanks,

Scott
h_scott_a is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 1st of May 2012 (Tue)   #2
Tom_D

Default Re: Transitions(tm) prescription lenses

Yep, all the time and no problems. If anything, as dark glasses, they don't get dark enough. Don't get me wrong, a lot better than no sun glasses at all.

Oh, they don't work in the car so you still need sun glasses for driving. I have a pair of dark glasses in the car I drive the most and another pair to take with me when riding in any other car. This second pair are very dark and work well for activities in very bright sunlight.

If anyone ever takes YOUR photo outdoors you'll be wearing dark glasses with no clear glasses to change into.

Walking from the sun into a dark room the lenses don't change as fast as I'd like and I find myself taking them off till the glasses adjust.

MOST of the time the Transition glasses are great, you just need to be aware of the limitations.

It seems there should be some technology to put a slider on the glasses temple to adjust the darkness of the lenses. Till then, I'll keep using the Transition lenses.
Old 2nd of May 2012 (Wed)   #3
KCY
Unlocked the hidden 117 point AF

I'm wearing an transition lenses, older generation, and for me I think I will not get transition lenses again.

My glasses tint brown when they change and I find this throws off my interperation of colour making everything seem warmer than what other people would see.

However maybe grey tint would fair better?
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 2nd of May 2012 (Wed)   #4
hollis_f
Cream of the Crop

They can be a real pain in the cold, when they become ultra-sensitive. One can look a real dork, walking around when it's freezing cold and slightly overcast - with shades!
hollis_f is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of May 2012 (Wed)   #5
mspringfield

Scott,

I have the latest generation grey that I got from Costco about 5 months ago that replaced a 4 year old pair. There is a world of difference between them. They really seem to be getting the technology down. There was a bit of a "break in period" that I was warned about where they would take a while to change and not get as dark as normal. I took them out on my deck and laid them on a table in direct sunlight a couple of times and that seemed to help the 'break in". Now they will change in less than a minute. I have no problems with color interpretation or seeing clearly through the viewfinder.

When I started wearing transitions they were for times when I wanted to be out in the yard or a quick trip to the store and just didn't want to bother putting in contacts. These new one are so good that I actually find myself wearing them more than ever, 60% contacts - 40% glasses where before it was probably more 90-10. I was able to get a pair of so called "designer" frames, ultra light lenses, bi-focal (not only am I blind as a bat, I am an old fart.. lol), anti-scratch, transitions for just over $300 at Costco. Well worth it.

Michael
Canon 1DsMkII, Canon 1DMkIII, Canon EOS M, Canon 28-70mm 2.8L, Canon 70-200mm 2.8L IS, Canon 100mm F/2, Canon 100mm F/2.8L IS Macro, Canon 135mm F/2L, Canon 200mm F/1.8L, Canon 300mm F/4L IS, Canon EF 1.4x II
mspringfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of May 2012 (Wed)   #6
DisrupTer911
Goldmember

I've been wearing transitions lens perscription glasses since v.2 of the varieties, they're at v.7 now and I've never once had a problem with the viewfinder or lcd screens.

They aren't polarized sunglasses that cause LCDs to go dark or rainbow colors so you don't need to worry about that.
Old 2nd of May 2012 (Wed)   #7
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop

I've been using them for years, agree with Frank that they can be a PIA when it's brisk outside. I will sometimes take mine off and get them out of the sun before putting them on a framing up a shot.
rick_reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 2nd of May 2012 (Wed)   #8
h_scott_a

Thanks for the feedback, guys.
h_scott_a is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 1st of February 2013 (Fri)   #9
phonedrn8

im in the same boat maybe i need to get a clear pair just for shooting outdoors
phonedrn8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of February 2013 (Wed)   #10
mikeinctown

I was about to order them for the two new pairs I just ordered but didn't. I was then told how they didn't work in a car and how they aren't as dark as normal sunglasses. I was glad I didn't order them for the extra $$.

<edit> sorry, didn't see it was such an old thread that got bumped up.
mikeinctown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of February 2013 (Wed)   #11
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop

I do, but they can be difficult to see thru when it's really bright. I just ordered a couple pair of new ones, got one with the transition and one without.
rick_reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of February 2013 (Wed)   #12
maverick75
Goldmember

I hate wearing glasses when using my DSLR, so I use none and just adjust the diopter.
Old 6th of February 2013 (Wed)   #13
pbelarge
Goldmember

I recently got new glasses. I did not get the transition type, as I had them before and the are terrible to work with.
I can say now that I have had the new glasses, it is so much easier to work with.

They never worked like sunglasses do anyway. A real waste of the extra cost.

Pierre
pbelarge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of February 2013 (Wed)   #14
Tom_D

I guess we all need to wait for these.