Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Still Life, B/W & Experimental
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd of June 2003 (Tue)   #1
Don Ellis

Default Two Buildings, Two People, Two Abstracts (Infrared 093)

Some of us have an unnatural attraction to infrared and it's always nice to see the results of different equipment and techniques. These were all taken with a G1 whose hot mirror has been replaced with clear optical glass, plus a true infrared filter -- the B+W 093.

One of the pleasures of the modified G1 is normal shutter speeds, making handheld infrared photography possible. One of the pleasures of the B+W 093 filter is that there is negligible false color, so there's no need to set a custom white balance for each photo before converting in BreezeBrowser, as is the case with the R72 infrared filter. So once again you have the convenience of batch conversions and time to make a sandwich or enjoy a cup of tea while conversions are happening.

Except for the last shot, most were simply auto-contrasted, resized and sharpened. You've probably noticed I'm into frames at the moment -- I run in cycles and this is the one I'm in now. They help set off the black-and-white photos from the light-colored background of the forum.

One last comment -- you lose about two stops using the B+W 093 instead of the R72. And the B+W produces virtually black-and-white photos. When converting the 093 infrared images to Grayscale in Photoshop (through almost any method: channel mixer, grayscale, selecting Lab mode lightness channel), the resulting image remains virtually unchanged, so I no longer bother with any black-and-white conversion techniques (this just keeps getting easier and easier).

Now on with the show... keeping in mind that these are offered not so much for their brilliance as for a first look at this particular camera/filter combination, though I would be happy to know your preferences.

This first photo was taken in the Hong Kong Zoological and Botanical Gardens, looking past the fountain to the Cheung Kong Building, Bank of China, and Citicorp Building... perspective cropping straightened up the buildings...

1/40 sec., f5.6, Av mode

This is a Traveler's Palm... as narrow when viewed from the side as it is wide from the front. It's not a palm at all, but a tree related to the banana plant and the bird-of-paradise. It derives its name from the fact that thirst travelers can cut a stem and drink the water inside... unless you're in the botanical garden, in which case you go to the refreshment stand to avoid arrest and a good beating...

1/50 sec., f5.6, Av mode

This photograph of an elderly man tending his garden was taken in my village. I like it because the lack of steep contrast makes him merge with his plants...

1/80, f4.0, P mode

Hong Kong is a cosmopolitan city with a variety of nationalities, cultures and religions...

1/60, f2.5, Av mode

This is a new banana leaf, perhaps a little closer than you're used to, with the unrolled portion ready to open up...

1/160, f4.0, P mode

And finally a chunk of tree trunk, close up. There was direct sunlight on the tree so I used Manual mode to underexpose. The resulting image was still too light, so I duplicated the layer, set the blending mode to Multiply and the opacity at 80%, and then applied a quadtone...

1/60, f5.6, Manual

Cheers,

Don

P.S. I'm including this photo for people interested in infrared who may have missed it in the frog thread...

This has all been just too strenuous... time for a nap.
Don Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of June 2003 (Tue)   #2
pappy

Default Re: Two Buildings, Two People, Two Abstracts (Infrared 093)

I really am enjoying this series of photographs (all of your photographs) very much, particularly the last one. I have never used infrared and find yours fascinating...sorry, I seem to be always jumping in here but it's impossible to resist. You have extraordinary talent IMHO. I'm hope I'm not going overboard I just enjoy your work.

Regards,
Peter
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of June 2003 (Tue)   #3
Don Ellis

Default Re: Re: Two Buildings, Two People, Two Abstracts (Infrared 0

Quote:
pappy wrote:
I really am enjoying this series of photographs (all of your photographs) very much, particularly the last one. I have never used infrared and find yours fascinating...sorry, I seem to be always jumping in here but it's impossible to resist. You have extraordinary talent IMHO.
Hi Peter,

We all post for comments and until I do something more remunerative with my photography, my only payment is people's contributions. Yours are especially welcome and you are especially generous. Thank you.

Quote:
I'm hope I'm not going overboard I just enjoy your work.
It would be hard to go overboard. It is very valuable to know which photos people like best and least.

Thanks for jumping in.

Don
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of June 2003 (Tue)   #4
SoCal69

Don...

Your work continues to amaze us all! These are breathtaking. It almost makes me want to explore IR photography for myself. Great job!
Old 4th of June 2003 (Wed)   #5
henkbos

Very well done. #1 and #2 are the best for me!
henkbos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of June 2003 (Wed)   #6
Don Ellis

Quote:
socal69 wrote:
Your work continues to amaze us all!
That's it... you're elected spokesman for the group.

Quote:
These are breathtaking. It almost makes me want to explore IR photography for myself. Great job!
Infrared is like an anchovy... you either like it or you don't. I don't know what camera you have, but before you take the plunge there are plenty of people here to offer advice.

Thanks for your embarrassingly complimentary remarks.

Don
Old 4th of June 2003 (Wed)   #7
Don Ellis

Quote:
henkbos wrote:
Very well done. #1 and #2 are the best for me!
Hi Henk,

Good to hear from you and know that our desert photographer is still around. Thanks for looking and pointing out your favorites.

Don
Old 4th of June 2003 (Wed)   #8
slejhamer

Ah, but there are different qualities of anchovy ... some good, some not so.

Quite good shots; the last one (guy on bench) is my favorite though. It's a bit of a different shot for you, I think..
Old 4th of June 2003 (Wed)   #9
Don Ellis

Quote:
slejhamer wrote:
Ah, but there are different qualities of anchovy ... some good, some not so.
A view held by Tiny-Smelly-Fish Connoisseurs and Aquatic Social Workers.

Quote:
Quite good shots; the last one (guy on bench) is my favorite though.
Thank you. You're in good company... many people are choosing that one.

Quote:
It's a bit of a different shot for you, I think..
Not the first sleeping person I've ambushed...

...or did you mean something else.

Cheers,

Don
Old 4th of June 2003 (Wed)   #10
Chris™

Hi Don,

very nice ... great what can be done with a modified G1.
Capturing movement in IR is a new field ... no wonder that the people photos are the most interesting for me.

Greetings from Germany

Chris™
Chris™ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of June 2003 (Wed)   #11
marie
Cream of the Crop

all are very lovely don

the tree trunks are great too,
like legs
dimples on them too

the sleeping lady is just wonderful.
such clear detail .......close up and personal
(I won't ask any questions )

: )))

best wishes
marie
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of June 2003 (Wed)   #12
Don Ellis

Chris... thanks for taking the time to look. You're right, taking infrared people shots is a new capability. As I mentioned in another post, the modified G1 follows one of the great rules of life: Solve a problem, create a problem.

At the exact moment you solve one problem, you create another. I've gained shutter speed, but simultaneously lost the green false color of foliage. Surprisingly, considering how much I like the false color, I'm enjoying the black-and-white aspects of the new camera/filter combination.

Marie... you're always allowed to ask questions. The sleeping lady is Santha Deve, my mother-in-law. She is Indian, born in Sri Lanka in 1921, married at 15, moving to Penang, Malaysia, shortly thereafter, where she had seven children, six of whom survived. Her husband died about 20 years ago and after years of independence in Penang she finally agreed to come live with us in Hong Kong in 1999.

I walked in from the terrace and found her napping on the Chinese sofa with the afternoon light streaming in. Leela didn't want to me to photograph her, feeling it was a bit unfair, but I persisted and it has become my favorite shot of her. The red bindi on her forehead signifies she is a Hindu.

She is one of the kindest, gentlest and wisest people I know, with a wonderful sense of humor.

I'm glad you didn't ask.

Cheers,

Don
Old 5th of June 2003 (Thu)   #13
marie
Cream of the Crop

your story about santha brought many tears flowing
as I read it don
can't say exactly why
may have been the last sentence.
a wonderful person and you captured it beautifully
the colour of the garments , everything to do with her life as it is now. so peaceful
please, could you clone her and post her over ?
we all need these valuable people more then ever.
you are lucky to have her there
and to know her kind of love too

and if she knows about the post here
please give her my love
and regards

thank you
marie
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

marie is offline   Reply With Quote