Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > People Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 3rd of May 2012 (Thu)   #1
HMetal

Default B+W ND Filter for portraiture

I've used ND filter in the past, for waterfalls. However, I don't have any ND filters presently and don't want to "buy and try" just anything. Based on the number of stops of light reduction balanced with price, I'm seriously considering this filter.

I am considering buying the B+W 77MM ND 0.9 8X FILTER so I can shoot portraiture with wider apertures under available light augmented with studio flash on location. I have a few questions for those using these filters in the field:

1. How does this filter perform for portraiture?
2. Are there any issues with color cast from the filter itself?

Thanks for any feedback you can give me.
HMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of May 2012 (Thu)   #2
JakAHearts
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: B+W ND Filter for portraiture

Can you link to the one youre looking at please.
JakAHearts is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of May 2012 (Fri)   #3
HMetal

Oops. I forgot the link! Sorry. It is a 3 stop filter, which is exactly what I need. I'm just looking to get opinions on its performance in the field before plunk the money down.

http://www.henrys.com/3599-B-Plus-W-...8X-FILTER.aspx

Last edited by HMetal : 4th of May 2012 (Fri) at 04:05.
HMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of May 2012 (Wed)   #4
silverstang23

The filter will work fine. B+W makes some nice filters and you shouldn't have any issues with color casting. If you're worried about it, just shoot raw and adjust in post. Look through the multiple strobes thread in lighting and you can probably find plenty of examples where people are using ND filters to overcome sunlight with strobes and still have DOF

Canon 7d, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L, Canon EF-S 24-70mm f/2.8L, Canon EF-S 10-22mm f/3.5-4.5
Canon 430ex, Alienbees B800, Vegabod II Flickr My Website
silverstang23 is offline   Reply With Quote