Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Weddings and Other Family Events Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #1
Mikey1

Default 12 hrs later... My first wedding is done.

And all I can say is wow.

I met the client at the hair dresser. Amazingly she was there before me. I took everything I had but never needed a light. Window light was awesome. We done the usual shots. A lil drama ensued because one of the bridesmaids had gotten her hair done already somewhere else and they took offense to that.

Off to the venue at 12:30 where makeup was to start at 1. It didnt. More like 2:30. Everyone filed through, I weaved in and out taking photos. Adjusting light and so on. I had to keep reminding them I NEED the dress. The mom was still at home, with the dress. Thank god I attended the rehearsal and set my lighting up and took notes on power levels at different times of day. I shot the dress, the rings and then the groomsmen showed up.

We start doing photos. The groom is not into it. Always looking down. I finally break the ice and things loosen up. After about 8 shots the flower girl comes out and tells me the grooms brother, a groomsmen, isnt here. I look at the groom and hes like "Im sorry I didnt realize...." ugh.

Various family pics, then the ceremony starts. Things actually go well. Besides all the guests insisted on sitting in the back. I requested time before the reception for formals and more bridesmaid and groomsmen pictures. We did the fun ones and such.

I stayed late waiting on the sparkler exit. Which never happened. Too many ppl had left. I had no experience lighting that so a lil relief was felt. But still I wanted to at least try it. So since it was dark we done the backlight doorway flash shots and such. Now, I realize why this is stressful. BUT! It was fun. I enjoyed it.

And I get to do it again May 19th..........(deep breath)
Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #2
Strad.ks

Default Re: 12 hrs later... My first wedding is done.

Im glad it went well for you! I have never done a wedding before but have 3 in the pipeline. I hope I can say it went as well for me!
Strad.ks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #3
amirg

Congrats Mikey! Did you find it limiting shooting with one body and having to switch lenses?
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #4
brokensocial

Congratulations! We just had our first wedding EVER last night. It was awesome. Pictures soon! Good luck Strad.ks : D
Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #5
tonybear007

Congratulations! If they like the photos and they are pleasing to you then it was well worth it. Were you reasonable compensated?
tonybear007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #6
Mikey1

I actually borrowed a 40D and had the wide on one the 2.8 on the other. Pics turned out great and I made well on the compensation side... Thanks for the props guys.
Old 6th of May 2012 (Sun)   #7
PeaceFire
Goldmember

Glad it went well. As I'm sure you've already noticed, there is a lot of work that goes into a wedding before you even show up to shoot! A few ideas for your next weddings:

Get a list of every member of the bridal party. I ask for names and numbers ahead of time. That way when I introduce myself to the groomsmen I'll already know their names, I'll just have to assign the names to the right groomsman, but it helps when giving them direction to use their names. Second, I'll notice right away if one is missing.

And before the shoot I will email the bride and tell her that if she wants dress, ring , and detail pictures taken that those things need to be made available from the moment we start shooting because, often, there isn't enough time after things get going. If no dress is provided, I don't take those pictures. Not everyone cares for them, anyway.