Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Sports
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #1
namasste
Cream of the Crop

Default Girls LAX..figuring out the Sigma 70-200 OS

I've done all of the focus tests and still couldn't get my new Sigma 70-200 OS dialed in but during this game, I noticed something while chimping (calm down peanut gallery) and made some big adjustments. Things finally started coming in line! All shot with the 1DMkIII/Sigma 70-200 f2.8 OS w/ Canon 1.4x TC (MkII). Comments always welcome!

1. BEFORE I figured out the needed MA...

3. sportrait...

6. one of my little girl who, typically, is not a really competitive type kid...

8. the one area the Sigma struggles a little (imo)..head on coming at shots...

Last edited by namasste : 7th of May 2012 (Mon) at 12:36.
namasste is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #2
LaxMom

Default Re: Girls LAX..figuring out the Sigma 70-200 OS

Look good to me! And hey, I chimp all the time! LOL But, I do it during their breaks, or when nothing is going on. The other night it was starting to get darker, and I was snapping away. During a break, I started "chimping" and seeing what my photos were looking like. I realized the lastest ones were looking super blurry and awful, so I changed my settings. Lucky I looked, before I had a whole bunch that were awful! LOL

Too bad the blurry stick is in the way in the second to last one......

“ I always thought good photos were like good jokes. If you have to explain it, it just isn’t that good." – Anonymous
LaxMom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #3
namasste
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaxMom View Post
Too bad the blurry stick is in the way in the second to last one......
yeah but the interesting part is how the settings worked on that one...there has been much debate over main vs continuous AF and the AF sensitivity. some of the debate has been rather "animated". I used main and moderate slow sensitivity. notice that the focus did not jump to the foreground object when it clearly entered my focus area? I have found main to be more consistent than continuous IF you use slow or moderate slow sensitivity. everyone has their own way of doing things but it might be worth playing with these settings as a starting point if anyone is having AF issues for team field sports.

Last edited by namasste : 7th of May 2012 (Mon) at 14:51.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #4
lugnut45

Nice shots Scott.
I've tried a couple of games recently, and have not yet "nailed" it, either due to my stupidity, or not really dialing the lens with MA. I did encounter the AF sensitivity issues you talk about as well, and have tried to dial down the sensitivity (-1, -2) so it doesn't jmp around so much.
Keep up the nice work.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...postcount=3147
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #5
namasste
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by lugnut45 View Post
Nice shots Scott.
I've tried a couple of games recently, and have not yet "nailed" it, either due to my stupidity, or not really dialing the lens with MA. I did encounter the AF sensitivity issues you talk about as well, and have tried to dial down the sensitivity (-1, -2) so it doesn't jmp around so much.
Keep up the nice work.
thanks man! hope to see you around sometime!!
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #6
dandai

Dumb question : what is chimping? Thanks.
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #7
namasste
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by dandai View Post
Dumb question : what is chimping? Thanks.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimping
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #8
8612images

Nice set of pics. How do you like that lens? I used a friends d700 and Sig 70-200 for a baskeball and it was quick and sharp.
Old 7th of May 2012 (Mon)   #9
dandai

namasste,
Thanks for the info.I've learned something new today.
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #10
Noitca

Nice shots.

I also didn't know what "chimping" was. After reading it, I can't believe that some would think it is bad form or make a person a "lesser photographer" if you check your shots.

I can see how a person could do it excessively, but to not do it at all is just not using the tools available to you.

Last edited by Noitca : 8th of May 2012 (Tue) at 10:58.
Noitca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #11
namasste
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8612images View Post
Nice set of pics. How do you like that lens? I used a friends d700 and Sig 70-200 for a baskeball and it was quick and sharp.
Prim liking it more and more. The key was getting it micro adjusted correctly as it did require fair amount when used with the tc. The only place I am still it sure is if it's fast enough to catch fast approaching subjects. Seems like it struggles just a bit there (to be fair, not worse than my Canon non-IS or MkI IS). I have a game tomorrow night so I'll really be concentrating on those types of images to see how it does now that I am getting some time with it.
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #12
Baseball Nut

Nice shots. I'm really liking mine that Santa gave me at Christmas (ok it was my early present to myself). I'm not nearly as experienced as you, but from what I've shot with the lens so far for sports (some basketball & baseball), I've been VERY happy with it. I noticed you said you had a Canon 1.4 TC with it too. Does it still work pretty good with it? I read a couple of places that it wouldn't work real good with a Canon TC, but did fine with a Sigma.
Psa 118:24
Phil 4:13
http://www.flickr.com/photos/baseball_nut/
Baseball Nut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of May 2012 (Tue)   #13
CSMFoto

Not bad captures...not a fan of the sigma 2.8 though. Photos look pretty noisy in the shadows not to mention the girls hair in #6 is strange....seems very noisy

I got some camera's & lens'.
CSMFoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of May 2012 (Wed)   #14
namasste
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baseball Nut View Post
Nice shots. I'm really liking mine that Santa gave me at Christmas (ok it was my early present to myself). I'm not nearly as experienced as you, but from what I've shot with the lens so far for sports (some basketball & baseball), I've been VERY happy with it. I noticed you said you had a Canon 1.4 TC with it too. Does it still work pretty good with it? I read a couple of places that it wouldn't work real good with a Canon TC, but did fine with a Sigma.
Larry, it seems to be handling the Canon tc pretty well now that I have added -11 MA. I have never used a Sigma tc so really can't comment if it pairs better or not.
Old 9th of May 2012 (Wed)   #15
namasste
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSMFoto View Post
Not bad captures...not a fan of the sigma 2.8 though. Photos look pretty noisy in the shadows not to mention the girls hair in #6 is strange....seems very noisy
hmmm, I'll give this some thought. I don't see what I'd call extraordinary noise (there is some) for 640-800 ISO, certainly not enough that I'd be concerned for print. Could be something I am doing in post as I used high pass sharpening on most of these which can highlight noise easily. The girl in #6 (my daughter in this case) is a very heavy crop which is why you see more noise there. I wanted to see how the crop would look since a 70-200 (even with a tc) is really short for field sports so heavier cropping becomes a bit of a necessity at times even if you are only shooting half the field at any given point (I never shoot downfield,even with longer glass)