Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation
Thread started 08 May 2012 (Tuesday) 03:49
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Planes of Fame 2012, Heritage Flight

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
May 08, 2012 03:49 |  #1

Heritage Flight formation on Sunday at the Planes of Fame airshow.

IMAGE: http://julianchen.smugmug.com/Photography/Planes-of-Fame-Chino-2012/i-hmBLd7m/0/XL/20120506-Canon-EOS-7D-IMG1135-XL.jpg

IMAGE: http://julianchen.smugmug.com/Photography/Planes-of-Fame-Chino-2012/i-BDj3Lgn/0/L/20120506-Canon-EOS-7D-IMG1175-L.jpg

IMAGE: http://julianchen.smugmug.com/Photography/Planes-of-Fame-Chino-2012/i-Dnxc6nw/0/L/20120506-Canon-EOS-7D-IMG1222-L.jpg

IMAGE: http://julianchen.smugmug.com/Photography/Planes-of-Fame-Chino-2012/i-cwb6mT3/0/L/20120506-Canon-EOS-7D-IMG1228-L.jpg

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links
mhm2526
Joined Oct 2009
Lexington, SC
May 08, 2012 06:37 |  #2

Great shots, Julian. I love the contrast between #2's and #4's Phantoms: speed brakes out and nose high to get/stay in formation in #2, and breathing a sigh of relief as he accelerates out of formation in #4.

cicopo
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2007
Ottawa, Ont, Canada
May 08, 2012 07:25 |  #3

Excellent set. Must be hard flying the jet slow enough for the others to keep up.

A skill is developed through constant practice with a passion to improve, not bought.

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,628 posts
Joined Dec 2010
May 08, 2012 08:27 |  #4

very nice to get them all in one frame

Rivman
Goldmember
1,801 posts
Joined Jan 2009
Downtown Stittsville, Ottawa, Canada
May 08, 2012 08:28 as a reply to rick_reno's post |  #5

. . . good ones !!

Randy, Gear - 3 in the green, and a T2i with a few lenses !

jwcdds
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
Santa Monica, CA
May 08, 2012 08:42 |  #6

mhm2526 wrote in post #14397779external link
Great shots, Julian. I love the contrast between #2's and #4's Phantoms: speed brakes out and nose high to get/stay in formation in #2, and breathing a sigh of relief as he accelerates out of formation in #4.

Thanks! Yeah, he was more than happy to light it up afterwards and get out of what must felt like near-stall speed for him. I was told by another photog shooting next to me that the heritage formation was very, very loose the day before. So I had very low expectations, but was pleasantly surprised to find that on Sunday, they pulled the formation closer together. :) I gotta tell you... the F4's are LOUD. :lol:

cicopo wrote in post #14397903external link
Excellent set. Must be hard flying the jet slow enough for the others to keep up.

rick_reno wrote in post #14398131external link
very nice to get them all in one frame

Rivman wrote in post #14398137external link
. . . good ones !!

Thank you all.

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMug (external link) | Flickr (external link) | Blog (external link) | Instagram (external link) | YouTube (external link)
My Review | "The Mighty One" (external link)
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

rammsteinmatt
260 posts
Joined Aug 2011
So Cal
May 08, 2012 19:18 |  #7

jwcdds wrote in post #14398200external link
I was told by another photog shooting next to me that the heritage formation was very, very loose the day before.

The day before they also had two Lightnings in addition to the Mustang - "loose" meant the Phantom wasn't sucking Lightning exhaust, just think, losing 2 of 6 flying Lightnings in the US... The join up over Corona was a little less than smooth.

The Shinny
Now with more elements in more groups!
Flickrexternal link

squirl033
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2006
Everett, WA
May 08, 2012 19:41 |  #8

always had a soft spot for the ol' Double Ugly... the Phantoms were big smokin' targets for a long time, but the E model turned into a damned good all-purpose combat aircraft...

Cicopo, both the P-51 and the P-38 are easily capable of 350-400 knots, and the F-4 can fly very comfortably at that speed. less than 200 knots gets a bit dicey, but it can easily fly with propeller aircraft if the prop jobs keep their airspeed up...

Rocky ~
"Out where the rivers like to run, I stand alone, and take back something worth remembering..."
~ Three Dog Night
www.northwestnaturalim​agery.comexternal link

sponsored links

1,599 views & 0 likes for this thread
Planes of Fame 2012, Heritage Flight
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.