Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing
Thread started 09 May 2012 (Wednesday) 11:43
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Photoshop CS5 Droplet Issues

The ­ Fox
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
May 09, 2012 11:43 |  #1

So I have to pose this question to you all since we are having a rather massive problem at my work here with this. The company I am working for is a large automotive restoration parts company and we have 7 full vehicle line catalogs. Here is a bit of the explanation to what is we are doing.

Basically what is happening is that we use droplets to convert images to CMYK profile for our printer, create a web jpg and thumbnail and place it in the appropriate folder for being transferred to our database. The action we are using for this is as follows.

Save For DB and Web

Save- to a location on our server
Convert Mode- RGB for web
Image size- to reduce the size for web
Export- as jpg for web
Image size- reduces size for thumbnail image for web
Export- adds _thumbnail behind part number
Close

We have 5 different droplets that do basically the same thing in the end. Our work flow here is nothing special but here is now it work. All images are placed on a server(Apple server running Snow Leopard Server) for use in our catalog(linked in to Indesign) all as EPS. For the web jpgs the images are transferred into a large folder which once a week or so we run a bulk loader in our database software for use with our website. Images are transferred to the web server and all is deleted once it database has the image imported.

Now here is the problem. Randomly the droplets will not make one or more of the files when it runs. Most of the time it is perfect and has no issues. Sometimes it will create the EPS and not the jpgs, other times it will create only the thumbnail and others just the EPS and web but no thumbnail. It is just random and across 5 different droplets(only difference between them is where the EPS is saved to, the jpgs are saved to the same place in all of them). We recently updated all the droplets to CS5 .app extension as before we though the issue was because we were running CS3 created droplets but the issue has not changed. I am running them on both an iMac and Mac Pro, both running Snow Leopard 10.6.8 and they both have this issue. I am running the latest version of CS5 with all updates(have CS6 on order and will be trying that shortly). No once else has this issue like I do but I am running the most images on the droplets to place in the database so I think that is why I am seeing the most errors. One of my former coworkers was having this issue for years before I worked here and he was having them until his last day here. I am at a loss but I have a feeling that it has to do with the Apple Server that the department is using. I am not an apple fanboi at all and dislike using apple products but it is what I have to do in order to get work done so I continue to do it. So unless the computer knows I dislike it and is doing this as a form of revenge it has to be something. I personally think it is the server but I wanted to though out there to see what others think it could be.

Anyone have any ideas on what is going on or has encountered this issue before?

Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D Gripped x2 | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |

sponsored links
tonylong
...winded
54,592 posts
Gallery: 55 photos
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
May 09, 2012 12:01 |  #2

I can't hazard a guess, but have you personally designed at least some of these actions? If not, are you well-versed in the various "subtleties" in how actions are designed?

I'm asking because it sound like these problems go a ways back and that you "inherited" them. To troubleshoot them you'd need to go through step-by-step and analyze what the action is doing and whether that is exactly what you want it to do.

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

outtamymind
Goldmember
1,733 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
May 09, 2012 12:09 |  #3

honestly for how random it is, what i would do is save the current actions as a differen't name and recreate the actions from scratch. this way you know your starting fresh and that if anything arises you know that its an issue with the actions and not anything else...make sense?

www.outtamymindphoto.c​aexternal link
Outtamymind Photography Facebookexternal link
Outtamymind Photography on 500pxexternal link

The ­ Fox
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
May 09, 2012 12:28 |  #4

I have all the actions on my computer and have gone though them and they don't have any unusual code or issues inside them from what I can see. The droplets have been redone a few times now to update them to .app for CS5 and to add the thumbnail portion of it and when it was it was redone from scratch to add that portion as we also upsized the jpgs it was creating. This is why I am really thinking it is the server issue. I am not really keen on Macs on a network(ask any IT/ Network admin and they will agree) and the apple server just seems buggy alot. It is just random so the code has to work for saving unless it sees something wrong on the server end.

I will test that here today with another server. We have more then just the apple server and I will test it on another to see if I can replicate the problem.

Nick

"I work from awkwardness. By that I mean I don't arrange things. If I stand in front of something, instead of arranging it, I arrange myself" -Diane Arbus
7D Gripped x2 | 50D Gripped | 17-50mm F2.8 | 35mm F1.4 | 50mm F1.4 | 85mm F1.8 | 70-200mm F4L IS |

tonylong
...winded
54,592 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
May 09, 2012 12:59 |  #5

Can you for testing purposes redirect the action to work/save on the local machine rather than the server, then run batches through? If that works without a hitch then, yeah, that would indicate a server problem, or maybe a hitch in the network communication?

Tony
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

tonylong
...winded
54,592 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
May 09, 2012 13:06 |  #6

One other option would be to figure out how at the end of the action you could check for errors and, hopefully recover from them. I'd imagine that would be done by doing a script that checked the server for the expected results and then either returned back as a Success or a Fail, in which case the action would be re-started at the proper point...

Now here though I'm imagining that an action can start a PS script and then can "fetch" a return value, and that PS scripts can do things like accept a filename and location and then check the file server for the file, and return a value that the action can "pick up" and respond to, but I've never messed with PS scripts so I don't know if it's doable!

Tony

The ­ Fox
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
May 09, 2012 13:49 |  #7

I just finished making a droplet that will save to the original desitination, my local drive(just installed a new 1tb drive into my mac pro) and another server that is not attached to the apple server. This will let me narrow down if there is a network issue with my machine, with the apple server or with the entire network. I will run it normally for a few days as I would(which will be a few hundred images though it) and see what happens.

And for scripting, I have an email in with a developer at adobe I know but he has been rather slow to get back lately because of his work load getting larger. But I will follow up today and see what else I can do.

Nick

tonylong
...winded
54,592 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
May 09, 2012 14:25 |  #8

Well, I know from my low-level programming days that fault-detection and recovery are very important but often neglected aspects of functional programming!

Tony

The ­ Fox
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
May 10, 2012 11:14 |  #9

I just ran a batch of images on there with no problem so far. I did notice that it runs much faster then the old droplets did in terms of time images are on the screen and finishing(though there is 3 times as much work being done). I have noticed that on my apple machines they are silly fast at first and get slower the longer they are used. My windows machines are amazingly consistent in speed.

Nick

tonylong
...winded
54,592 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
May 10, 2012 12:02 |  #10

Well, then the questions would be how much the old networking might be causing the problems, and where, and why are the Apple systems slowing down?

Tony

The ­ Fox
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
May 10, 2012 13:46 |  #11

I have never figured this out. It starts off fast then it just slows down massively and starts bugging out. If I do a fresh install it is golden, but the more it is used the slower it gets. I think it has something to do with apple liking to cache all the files and the memory issues it has. Plus it uses processing power really inefficiently.

Nick

The ­ Fox
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
May 21, 2012 13:53 |  #12

I just noticed something here today when I was running my new droplets.

If the image is 800 pixel in the X direction(when the image is larger in the vertical side), when it goes to resize it will not be able to and since it did not finish(it has the same affect in photoshop as just simply canceling the dialog box) the last action, it will skip over the save for some reason, move to the next and finish the action. So any image that just happens to end up with the 800 in the largest dimension will glitch photoshop. That is one of the glitches in photoshop that I just found. That explains some if the issues for why it is not creating web images but it seems to be an intermittent problem. It does not always happen just sometimes and it happened for one image today and I saw it. When I fixed the image so that it would be anything besides 800px in the X side then it worked fine with no issue.

Seems interesting to me, something kind of odd that I am not sure why it is just not coming up with an error and just going ahead. I will be trying the same on my home machine(which is windows based) to see how it goes and if it is just a mac issue or a photoshop issue.

Nick

The ­ Fox
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Jun 12, 2012 13:46 |  #13

So I have gotten something going on this. I just round an image that I have run on the droplet multiple time and it is only getting created in my test folder, not in the "Tranfer to DB" folder. I ran it 2 times with the same result of it not creating anything, but it created the files in my duplicate server. I am going to guess it is a server issue at this point and need to rework how the images are done.

Nick

The ­ Fox
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Huntington Beach, Ca
Jun 14, 2012 17:25 |  #14

So no one has any ideas to this?

Nick

tonylong
...winded
54,592 posts
Joined Sep 2007
Vancouver, WA USA
Jun 14, 2012 20:02 |  #15

Well, it sounds like you are back at the point where you were last month, troubleshooting a likely server issue! I'd get to the bottom of that, and see if it improves your problem with 800-pixel-tall images!

Tony

sponsored links

2,082 views & 0 likes for this thread
Photoshop CS5 Droplet Issues
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.