Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Nature & Landscapes Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th of May 2012 (Thu)   #1
pazcat

Default Sunrise suggestions?

Hi all, I want to do a timelapse of the transit of Venus at Sunrise if it's possible but I'm unsure what the best approach to this would be. I would be using my 300mm lens as it's the longest I have.
I know if atmospheric conditions are right then concievably I could just shoot away without need for any filters however life isn't always that perfect.

Am I right in thinking that I probably wouldn't get away with just stopping down and low iso?
I do have a Hoya NDX400 but I think that might be overkill for a sunrise especially if I want any foreground in shot.

Does anybody have any suggestions as to what may be a good approach to take?
pazcat is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of May 2012 (Fri)   #2
ee_guy

Default Re: Sunrise suggestions?

If you point your lens anywhere near the sun the shot is going to blow out. How do you plan on tracking it during the day? Will it be visible to the naked eye? The sunrise/sun puts of a TON of light. Any exposure over a second or two will most likely be lost to OE. Will you be able to capture it in that time frame?