Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10th of May 2012 (Thu)   #1
chuckmiller

Default the latest Lightroom vs latest Canon DPP

This is likely a frequent topic but since each app changes/improves with each release I would like to pose the question again.

When editing RAW files, to create pleasing pictures, be that with sharpening, noise reduction, WB, or the such, which app is doing the better job now? Such as .. Removing noise can soften an image. Which app causes the least softening? Etc.
chuckmiller is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of May 2012 (Thu)   #2
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

Default Re: the latest Lightroom vs latest Canon DPP

Well, I use Lightroom as my "workflow manager" and so do my Raw processing there.

And, the Lightroom Raw processor, shared with the Photoshop Camera Raw processor, has a significantly more advanced toolset for Raw than DPP.

That being said, DPP is quite nice for Raw processing when you don't want the advanced Lightroom capabilities. It's great for quick in-out conversions. Plus, it has tools that replicate the in-camera tools for creating a jpeg -- the basics of Picture Styles and White Balance, plus enhancement tools that get added to DPP when new image enhancement functions are added to new Canon cameras -- pretty cool when those features can be made available to photos taken with older cameras.

For those reasons I'm not dismissive of DPP! In fact, on any given day I'll often have DPP open right alongside Lightroom, sometimes "messing" with something, sometimes doing a quick conversion for whatever reason.

But, DPP and Lightroom don't "share" Raw processing/metadata, so work done in DPP won't show up with a Raw file in Lightroom and vice-versa. So, since Lightroom is my Workflow manager as well as my "serious" Raw processor, in the end shoots that have "meaning" to me go through my Lightroom Raw processor.

As to which Noise Reduction handles detail better, well again LR has more advanced tools, and, when I'm dealing with high ISO images with noticeable noise I'll be in Lightroom automatically, but if I am in DPP sure I'll toss in NR if it's appropriate to get a working image out the door.
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of May 2012 (Thu)   #3
chuckmiller

Using DPP I just opened an 18mp CR2 file, saved it as an 8bit and a 16bit TIFF, the TIFF files are 50 and 100 megabytes. Wow, do TIFF files grow like that in any conversion app?
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 10th of May 2012 (Thu)   #4
tonylong

That's pretty much par for the course. Jpegs get two kinds of compression, even Raw files get compression, whereas I don't believe DPP offers tiff compression, but even if you save a tiff out of Photoshop with compression you still get large files. The only "relief" is if you can save as an 8 bit tiff because you have done an ample amount working with your Raw file!

And, if you think that's scary, open a tiff in Photoshop, do some work involving a few layers, then save it with the layers intact, and check the file size!
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
Old 11th of May 2012 (Fri)   #5
tzalman
Fatal attraction.

18,000,000 pixels X 48 (16 bits per each RGB color channel) = 864,000,000 bits.

864,000,000 / 8 bits per byte = 108,000,000.

108,000,000 / 1.024 (1,024 bytes per kilobyte) / 1.024 (1,024 kilobytes per megabyte) = ~103 MB.
"If you presume to love something, you must love the process of it much more than you love the finished product." John Irving, 5/2012. "In theory there is no difference between practice and theory, but in practice there is." Yogi Berra
Site
tzalman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of May 2012 (Fri)   #6
chuckmiller

Yowza, I have never done the math.
Old 11th of May 2012 (Fri)   #7
digital paradise
Cream of the Crop

I was a log time DPP user but just recently switched. I find LR/ACR far better for NR than DPP. DPP softens the image more.
Old 11th of May 2012 (Fri)   #8
NYC2BGI

I really like DPP and it is always getting better. Just always watch for when Canon puts out updates on it. It has really improved a ton since I bought my 20D years ago.
Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L
http://www.facebook.com/HightechPix
NYC2BGI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11th of May 2012 (Fri)   #9
tzalman
Fatal attraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC2BGI View Post
I really like DPP and it is always getting better. Just always watch for when Canon puts out updates on it. It has really improved a ton since I bought my 20D years ago.
Very true, but ACR/LR has improved much more.
"If you presume to love something, you must love the process of it much more than you love the finished product." John Irving, 5/2012. "In theory there is no difference between practice and theory, but in practice there is." Yogi Berra
Site
Old 11th of May 2012 (Fri)   #10
tonylong

I love DPP for quick and easy conversions and for "messing with" photos, but for "serious" work LR/ACR have more powerful features...
Old 14th of May 2012 (Mon)   #11
stealthdave

Using a canon 400d with 18-55mm lens I do the following:
Open all my raws in DPP and export to tiff
Then import to lightroom and work from there

I have tried but can never get my raw files to look as good just using lightroom (would be nice if I could as I could skip a step then)
stealthdave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of May 2012 (Mon)   #12
tzalman
Fatal attraction.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthdave View Post
Using a canon 400d with 18-55mm lens I do the following:
Open all my raws in DPP and export to tiff
Then import to lightroom and work from there

I have tried but can never get my raw files to look as good just using lightroom (would be nice if I could as I could skip a step then)
I used primarily DPP for four years. For the last three years it has been LR. I firmly believe I can get a much better conversion with LR, but I freely admit that it takes a lot more work - both on the level of overall learning and experience gaining and on the level of the time spent with each image. Today, with LR4 this is even more true. LR4 can do things with a Raw file that it can't do with a tif and that DPP can't even approach. Read this article for a taste of what LR4 does (and then run to the nearest software store):
http://www.luminous-landscape.com/te...htroom_4.shtml
Site
Old 14th of May 2012 (Mon)   #13
digital paradise
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by stealthdave View Post

In which way? Colour, IQ? I was a long time DPP user and recently switched to LR/ACR. I have to agree with tzalman on what he said.
Old 14th of May 2012 (Mon)   #14
René Damkot

Do not use Luminance NR in DPP and you'll be fine. If you're using a fairly new camera, and expose well, you won't need it anyhow, unless you're shooting ISO 3200 and up.

Both DPP and LR4 are good raw converters, it mostly comes down to personal preference.
For some images, I still prefer DPP's sharpening.

LR does offer more options though.

Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.

MySpace
Get Colormanaged
Twitter

PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
René Damkot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of May 2012 (Mon)   #15
stealthdave

Both really

Quote:
Originally Posted by digital paradise View Post
In which way? Colour, IQ? I was a long time DPP user and recently switched to LR/ACR. I have to agree with tzalman on what he said.
stealthdave is offline   Reply With Quote