Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 11 May 2012 (Friday) 21:36
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate! (Part 2)

Jon
Cream of the Crop
69,628 posts
Joined Jun 2004
Bethesda, MD USA
May 11, 2012 21:36 |  #1

Follow-on from here.

Jon
----------
Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities
Image Posting Rules and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
PAYPAL GIFT NO LONGER ALLOWED HERE

sponsored links
navydoc
Cream of the Crop
10,475 posts
Gallery: 43 photos
Joined Oct 2009
Inland Empire, So. Cal
May 11, 2012 21:38 |  #2

You closed the other thread just as I was posting. :D

Jeff, I have a carved wood cigarette case I bought in the Phillipines in 1966. I'll try to take a shot and show it in the next day or two.

Gene - My Photo Gallery ||external link My USS Oriskany websiteexternal link || My Flickrexternal link
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

shutterpat
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2010
Orange, CA.
May 11, 2012 21:40 |  #3

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Color Purple (external link) by OC PAT (external link), on Flickr

Follow me --> https://www.instagram.​com/shutterpat/ (external link)
flickr (external link)

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Toronto
May 11, 2012 23:47 |  #4

navydoc wrote in post #14418802 (external link)
Jeff, I have a carved wood cigarette case I bought in the Phillipines in 1966. I'll try to take a shot and show it in the next day or two.

Cool!

I'll look forward to seeing that!

And, welcome to part 2 of the 1Ds Mark II Admirers, congregate! thread, everybody! :D

Cheers!

GEAR LIST l WEBSITEexternal link

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Toronto
May 11, 2012 23:50 |  #5

patrickf117 wrote in post #14418811 (external link)
NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/gif' | Redirected to error image by FLICKR

Color Purple (external link) by OC PAT (external link), on Flickr

Nice flower shots, Patrick!

And congrats on being the first one to post a picture in in Part II! ;)

Cheers!

shutterpat
Cream of the Crop
Joined Sep 2010
Orange, CA.
May 12, 2012 00:13 |  #6

^^ Thanks Jeff...:) and welcome to all 1DsMKII family...

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!

Man's prized posession .... (external link) by OC PAT (external link), on Flickr

Follow me --> https://www.instagram.​com/shutterpat/ (external link)
flickr (external link)

dandan1
Goldmember
1,223 posts
Joined Sep 2010
Silicon Valley, CA
May 12, 2012 00:57 as a reply to shutterpat's post |  #7

I'll post one!

IMG NOTICE: [NOT AN IMAGE URL, NOT RENDERED INLINE]

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

ISOlution|Photographyexternal link

J-Blake
Great Googley Moogley!
Joined Dec 2009
Westminster, CO
May 12, 2012 09:43 |  #8

So are we automatically subscribed to this thread? I guess it doesn't matter for me now. It's with regret that I let you all know I too am moving on from the 1Ds family. I've purchased a 5DII and have my 1DsII up for sale. I made the move because I've been getting more and more into night landscapes and wanted to increase my SNR. Like the others I'll still be lurking here, and comment when approprate. All that said, I still have a few in the can and when I process something worthy from it I'll be sure to share.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8007/7106576127_279a0cd6aa_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com ...kephotography/71065​76127/] (external link)
Dark Night (external link) by jondblake (external link), on Flickr

Jon
So much to learn, so little time.
A few worthy shotsexternal link

wannabegood
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Joined Jan 2007
Deep in the Heart of Texas
May 12, 2012 16:09 |  #9

Wow Jon, I sure wish I knew how to do that! My attempts at the stars have failed fairly miserably. I've bought a T-adapter and hook up my 5D2 and 1Ds2 to my dad's 8" Celestron scope, with no good result. Don't guess you'd care to share some tips would you?

Wish you great success with the change, I've gone the opposite direction...from the 5D2 to the 1Ds2 and now find it difficult to use the 5, it just feels so little!

Dale
1Ds MkII, 5D MkII w/Canon gLass & G1X w/ 250D

J-Blake
Great Googley Moogley!
Joined Dec 2009
Westminster, CO
May 12, 2012 17:50 |  #10

Thanks Dale. If you click on the shot it takes you to the flickr page. Under the photo I've described the process as follows

To make this shot I took 120 shots, each one 16mm, 20 sec, f/2.8, ISO 1600. I used Deep Sky Stacker to bring out the stars, but because so much time elapsed over this period only about the center 1/2 of the stars came out. Fortunately, the area that came out included the Milky Way which I merged back into one of the original exposures.

I will say that I'm very much learning these types of shots and by no means an expert. Whether or not I need to shoot or process using 120 shots remains to be seen. Especially as I modify my gear to that which is more low light friendly. It sure is fun learning though!

Jon

wannabegood
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Joined Jan 2007
May 12, 2012 18:09 |  #11

Very nice, thanks Jon for the info. A good 40 minutes of shooting time alone, yep...a lot of work goes into a shot like this!

I am getting ready to attempt a full moon shot of the "supermoon" variety like some I've seen online and on the news. When I took the shot I posted of the supermoon over the hospital where my wife works, I totally forgot about zoom perspective (shot it from about 2 blocks away from the hospital at 100mm on the 70-200). So now I have charted a plan for rectifying that. On June 4th the full moon will be almost as close as the so-called "supermoon" of earlier this month, it just won't be 100% full at moonrise, not being full until 20 minutes or so before it sets at 6:25 in the morning. I found a site online that shows the location of the moon and sun for a given date and time and used this to plot a position for June 4th in an attempt to frame the atmosphere enlarged and closer than usual full moon over a domed event center we have nearby. With some luck the moon will appear in my photograph as large or nearly so as the geodesic dome. The plan is to shoot the picture from 3/4 of a mile away with my 1DsMkII and 70-200 at 200, or to shoot it from 3.8 miles away using the same camera mounted to an 8" telescope to give a lens focal length equivalent to 2032mm! :) I have yet to actually visit the further location to check for line-of-sight disturbances but all indicators show no problem so far. The 3/4 mile distance has been checked but I don't know how large the moon will appear with the 200 mm focal length. Guess I'll have to go on some luck with this one! The issue for the long shot is that the telescope aperture is fixed at f/10.

Of course, I'll post the results next month. ;)

Dale

wannabegood
Goldmember
1,709 posts
Joined Jan 2007
May 12, 2012 18:25 |  #12

One of my 4 year olds favorites, a "Wishing Flower" ....taken as it started to rain.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Dale

J-Blake
Great Googley Moogley!
Joined Dec 2009
Westminster, CO
May 12, 2012 18:47 |  #13

Personally, It sound to me like you'll be better off with the telescope over the 70-200. Below is a shot I took of the supermoon which I shot with my 70-200 and a 1.4 extender. The moon doesn't look big enough IMO.

Sounds like you put a lot of planning into this next one on June 4th. One thing I've learned from some of my buddies is that careful planning is essential to these types of shots. You didn't mention the program(s) your using to plan this, but I would recommend The Photographers Ephemeris. It's a fantastic tool for shooting anything involving the angle of the sun/moon at a given time on a given day. We use it every time we are planning an excursion into the mountains. If you try it, be sure to search for and watch the two video tutorials. It's a relatively easy program to use, but not easy to figure out without some help. I look forward to your moon shots.

IMAGE: http://farm9.staticflickr.com/8021/7149527883_1119991175_b.jpg
[IMAGE'S LINK: http://www.flickr.com ...kephotography/71495​27883/] (external link)
Super Moonrise (external link) by jondblake (external link), on Flickr

Jon

The ­ Ghost ­ of ­ FM
Goldmember
3,982 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Toronto
May 12, 2012 19:01 as a reply to J-Blake's post |  #14

Nice shooting guys! ;)

Jon, sorry to hear you giving up on the 1Ds MkII but hope you'll stick around!

I'll follow Dan's lead with a bit of lead crystal stemware!

Taken with the 50L @ f/1.2...

IMAGE: http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h250/thefontmeister/VV4G111133small.jpg

Cheers!

J-Blake
Great Googley Moogley!
Joined Dec 2009
Westminster, CO
May 12, 2012 19:10 |  #15

Nice Jeff, and thanks. I will certainly be Sticking around. This is one of my favorite threads for awesome shots.

Jon

sponsored links

302,105 views & 93 likes for this thread
-=1DS Mark II Admirers, congregate! (Part 2)
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.