Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > People Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th of May 2012 (Sat)   #1
Mahgnillig

Default How to shoot people!

Hi all

I'm looking for some advice on how to photograph people. I usually shoot landscapes, buildings, animals, some macro & abstract/experimental, but virtually never people. I'm not adverse to learning, it's just that I don't know many people who want their photos taken...

So here comes the conundrum... a friend of my husband recently saw some of my work (some landscapes and a couple of abstract pieces), and asked him if I could do a photo session with his family and their classic car. Like I said, I'm not adverse to shooting people, I've just never done it before and don't want to floof it up. I certainly won't be charging for the session... but I would like to do it right. This would be an outdoor shoot at an old gas station with mum, dad & 2 young children. Does anyone have any suggestions, first of all on what equipment I should use, and secondly, if there are any good books/resources out there for learning this stuff?

Equipment wise, I have a selection of lenses to choose from: Sigma 10-20, 18-55 kit lens, 50mm 1.8, 100mm 2.8 macro, 55-250 kit lens, and an XSi. The 50mm 1.8 is my lens of choice for animal portraits, but I'm guessing wider is better if you're trying to fit a car into the shot as well. I also have a speedlight and a set of radio triggers, and a tripod. I've never used the flash for outdoor photography, so I'd really like to hear from the experts whether it is necessary to use it for fill flash. What about other accessories like bounce cards & umbrellas? I've never played with those either, but I don't mind investing in some if they're necessary.

Book recommendations are always welcome as well... I enjoy reading about photography, but most of my books are about landscapes, exposure or creativity... I really don't have anything to give me any pointers about doing portraits. Pretty much all I know is that you shouldn't cut people off at the joints, and on-camera flash is bad
Old 18th of May 2012 (Fri)   #2
dave_p

Default Re: How to shoot people!

Wider is going to make the background (the car and the gas station) appear smaller. It will also distort more, something that most human subjects don't find too flattering. If you can back up enough I would consider using the 55-250 (or the 100mm macro).

I don't have a suggestion on books, sorry. But you might want to try googling for how to light groups, which in my opinion is significantly harder than lighting individuals. You might even widen your search for something like "how to photograph and light a bridal party", as wedding photographers have to deal with this all the time. If the location has good natural lighting at a particular time of day you might just want to make your first attempt without the flashes.
dave_p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23rd of May 2012 (Wed)   #3
whuband

I wouldn't spend any extra money just to do this since you don't usually shoot people. Pick a day with some nice light (cloudy is often good to minimize car reflections) and shoot away. I would say that looking at other work on this forum is as good as most reference sources.
1DM4, couple of 7D's, Panasonic LX7, 10-22mm, 17-55mm, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 70-200mm 2.8, 300mm 2.8, 580EXII (2), 430EX, Alien Bee 800's, tripods, stands, light modifiers, backgrounds, and (thanks to a friend) a well equipped studio to use.
whuband is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 23rd of May 2012 (Wed)   #4
gonzogolf
Cream of the Crop

LIke dave said above, use a longer lens and back up. Its more flattering and it keeps perspective distortion at bay. Shoot in the last couple hours of the day. That means you dont have to fight having too much light. Ideally for family groups its nice to have the sun behind and then use the flash for fill in the front. With all those added scene elements car, gas station, you might not have that option, plus only one flash to fill that sort of group may be a challenge.

Try doing a google image search with family cars etc to see if you can find some similar images to use as a posing guide.
gonzogolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of May 2012 (Tue)   #5
watt100
Cream of the Crop

the 50mm 1.8 and bounced flash (and off camera) will get you nice people shots, outdoors use the 55-250IS zoomed in for a blurred background
watt100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of May 2012 (Wed)   #6
garbidz

Just pretend that they are trees and you'll do just fine.
The only real difference is that people move, sometimes even the way you ask them to.
Take lots and lots of shots.
My favorite light is the seaside 3-4 of hours before sundown. It is like a humongous wall of pleasantly warm light coming through a softening mist. Try to find a spot with the least possible background details. If you can shoot uphill against the sky or a distant monochrome something, like a forest or a mountain all the better. People look at photos to see their own faces and, in the case of the guy, his classic car. He'd probably appreciate a shot of himself and the logo (a Jaguar or a Pinto?) recognizable, sharp and well lit.

It is a good idea to use a focal length you are used to.
Most award-winning shots have been taken with a normal lens since decades now.
The trick is not to shut them down all the way but taking advantage of their limited DOF.
Which you knew already.

Why don't you practice with your own family before the assignment?
The forz be with you. You are doing it for fun, right?
If not, don't.
Old 30th of May 2012 (Wed)   #7
Chet
BrokenMember

If you shoot more to the right, I've noticed the left suffers just a bit much to be acceptable. Once in post the shadows can be rectified over the highlights to even the middle balance off center.
Chet is offline   Reply With Quote