Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Transportation Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 20th of May 2012 (Sun)   #16
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: March Field AirFest, Riverside, CA...

Vendors made a killing on beverages today. Water for $3? Really?

There were a lot of jumbo umbrellas that might as well be tents as well. But aside from some low-flying action, the umbrellas didn't really come into play, other than when the winds picked up.

Today's show went okay. The Heritage Flight music started way too early. And it took the T-Birds what seemed like forever to take to the air.
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)
jwcdds is online now   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 20th of May 2012 (Sun)   #17
Perfectly Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcdds View Post
Vendors made a killing on beverages today. Water for $3? Really?

There were a lot of jumbo umbrellas that might as well be tents as well. But aside from some low-flying action, the umbrellas didn't really come into play, other than when the winds picked up.

Today's show went okay. The Heritage Flight music started way too early. And it took the T-Birds what seemed like forever to take to the air.
Yesterday also took the TBs a long time to get airborne. But I can't complain, it's a free show.
Old 20th of May 2012 (Sun)   #18
seaninsa

The TBs are notorious for taking forever in getting up. They do their ground routine which takes about 45 mins from when they are introduced to when before they actually get airborne. I really do not care to go to shows anymore that have the Tbirds. I am a bigger Blues fan then a Tbird fan. Don't get me wrong both groups have very talented pilots. The Tbirds music also is very annoying.
seaninsa is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 21st of May 2012 (Mon)   #19
Perfectly Frank

Yesterday was the first time I saw the Patriots. They put on a very good performance.
Old 21st of May 2012 (Mon)   #20
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop

I thought the music was okay for the TB's. This was my first time shooting the TB's... and they throw in a lot more sneak passes, at least 3 if not 4? Whereas the Blues only have that 1 sneak pass.

Perhaps it's the flatter terrain, that or I'm personally going deaf, but the jet engines didn't seem as loud at March AFB as they usually do down in Miramar. Worked out fine since I had forgotten to bring my ear muffs.
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)
jwcdds is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of May 2012 (Mon)   #21
navydoc
Cream of the Crop

I drove by on Saturday after I visited the RR Museum and planned on parking on one of the side streets nearby. Between the heat, hazy sky and traffic, I decided to pass this year. Besides, my feet were tired from all that walking I did earlier. I made the mistake a couple of years ago of arriving late and confronting the massive line waiting to get through the metal detectors...not my idea of a fun day I'm afraid.
Old 21st of May 2012 (Mon)   #22
rammsteinmatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectly Frank View Post
I attended on Saturday. Here's some tips for next year.

No food or drinks allowed, not even plastic bottle water. An exception is made for those with infants. No coolers. If you get thirsty or hungry, it's 3 bucks for a soda, 4 for a hot dog, 6 bucks for a burger
No tents or sun shelters (although I saw a few at the show line).
Folding chairs, umbrellas and backpacks are ok. I had no problem getting in with my 300 f2.8 lens and gear.

Arrive early! I got a late start and arrived at 9:30. Had to stand in a very long line for one hour waiting to be searched. Every one goes through a metal detector.

Bring a hat and sunscreen lotion. The only shade is under the wings of transport planes, and there is no where to sit. I'd say at least half of the vistors bring their own chairs.

They have portable fencing along the spectator line, and if you want to view the aircraft as they taxi by the crowd, set up your chair to hold your spot. If you're not up against the fence it's hard to get shots of aircraft on the taxi way. The fence line fills up quickly.

After the Tunderbirds land, they have a formal procedure where the crew chiefs stand at attention as the pilots exit the planes. Then the pilots march in formation towards the spectator line. It's pretty cool and would make a good photo or video op. But you need to be at the fence line at the extreme left (wrt the runway) before the Thunderbird performance ends.

Also, the air quality at March is very poor with lots of haze. From others I talked to, this is typical weather for the March air show.
With the exception of the food/water thing, you just described every airshow in the Western US (can't speak for the East). So, if this had any rant-ish undertones probably should lose interests in airshows quickly.

Flickr
rammsteinmatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of May 2012 (Mon)   #23
Perfectly Frank

Quote:
Originally Posted by navydoc View Post
I'm going to the Railfest at the Orange Empire Railroad Museum on Saturday...not sure if I'll be able to make it to the air show on Sunday.

http://www.oerm.org/pages/calendar.html
Thanks for sharing, looks like an interesting museum. I'm going to try to make it on June 16 or 17. Since I work in rail it's only fitting that I get in touch with SoCals rail history
Old 21st of May 2012 (Mon)   #24
seaninsa

Quote:
Originally Posted by rammsteinmatt View Post
With the exception of the food/water thing, you just described every airshow in the Western US (can't speak for the East). So, if this had any rant-ish undertones probably should lose interests in airshows quickly.
Miramar by far is a lot more friendly to the spectors. In 2010, they did not have all these stupid restrictions. Every year I bring 2-3 bottles of gatorade in with me to Miramar no hassle at all.
seaninsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21st of May 2012 (Mon)   #25
navydoc
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perfectly Frank View Post
Thanks for sharing, looks like an interesting museum. I'm going to try to make it on June 16 or 17. Since I work in rail it's only fitting that I get in touch with SoCals rail history
I've been there at least three times. They always have interesting things going on like Civil War reenactors, night photo shoots, etc and I think you'll enjoy it.

Here's a couple of the shots I got from Saturday if you haven't seen them yet.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...postcount=1284
Old 31st of May 2012 (Thu)   #26
pssc

I thought the show was great. However, I do not deal with the crowds. I parked on the west side of the highway. Pulled up and opened up the back of the truck, put out the cooler and chairs and the nearest person was 75 yards away. I posted in the so cal forum
"Airfest was great. Spent a few hours both Sat and Sun. Parked across the highway. Pull up, open the truck and set out the chairs and cooler. The closest person was over 75 yards away. My grandson had a ball. I never seem to be able to upload pictures, so here is a link to pics on my site: http://sscphoto.zenfolio.com/p230452782

The first set is Miramar and then Misc and then March airfest."

Cheers, SSC
pssc is offline   Reply With Quote