Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Sports Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 18th of May 2012 (Fri)   #31
whuband

Default Re: Why does everyone say nice photos?

I believe some people just want to reply, but really don't have anything to say. "Nice capture" or "sharp focus" seem to fit the bill.

Since there are people here of all levels of experience, a photo might appeal to someone, but they might not be able to define why. In that case we get a "nice photo".
1DM4, couple of 7D's, Panasonic LX7, 10-22mm, 17-55mm, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 70-200mm 2.8, 300mm 2.8, 580EXII (2), 430EX, Alien Bee 800's, tripods, stands, light modifiers, backgrounds, and (thanks to a friend) a well equipped studio to use.
whuband is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of May 2012 (Fri)   #32
ajaffe

Do you really feel people are that daft? Even when I stunk more than I do now I knew what sharpness or colors or even subjects were. There has to be something that they feel is nice, so shouldn't they say what it is?

Example, photo of a guy with a ball. "Nice pic, I like the texture of the ball"
ajaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of May 2012 (Fri)   #33
You-by-Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by whuband View Post
I believe some people just want to reply, but really don't have anything to say. "Nice capture" or "sharp focus" seem to fit the bill.

Since there are people here of all levels of experience, a photo might appeal to someone, but they might not be able to define why. In that case we get a "nice photo".
^^^^^^^^so spot one
surely agree... one may just want to acknowledge they looked
for a budding person a few "nice shot" is a lot better than no comment at all
and...for a budding person they may not feel they are qualified to comment on a photo so just say something nice as you said

sometimes POTN can really be elitist and picky

Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite
You-by-Lou is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 18th of May 2012 (Fri)   #34
S.Horton
dǝǝɥs ɐ ʎq pǝʞuɐds

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaffe View Post
Do you really feel people are that daft? ......"
Generally, yes.

S.Horton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18th of May 2012 (Fri)   #35
kenjancef
Goldmember

Quote:
Do you really feel people are that daft? Even when I stunk more than I do now I knew what sharpness or colors or even subjects were. There has to be something that they feel is nice, so shouldn't they say what it is?

Example, photo of a guy with a ball. "Nice pic, I like the texture of the ball"
As one who has done the "nice shot", I do have to agree. For the most part I have gotten awesome criticism here, only one situation was bad. But I would like someone to say why or why isn't it a good pic because that's the only way to get better. I truly believe I've gotten better by taking advice from people here, directly and indirectly.

For ME (and I stress "ME"), even though a thousand people might say my work is good, I never do think so, so at times it's hard for me to criticize because I feel I have no place to, if that makes sense. So I look at comments by others, and apply that to my work.

Just my 2 cents...
Old 18th of May 2012 (Fri)   #36
slimenta

It's funny, as I read this thread< I started to realize why I spend less time on here and definitely less time commenting. The true pursuit of excellence is fostered by frank and honest feedback. That doesn't mean that it has to be perjorative and there may be a fine line.
1DX x 2, 1D Mark IV X 4, 5D Mark III x 3, 200-400, 4.0, 400 2.8 (II), 300 2.8, 200 2.0, 70-200 2.8 (II),135 2.0, 85, 1.2, 50 1.2, 24 1.4, 17-55 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 16-35 2.8, 28-300 3.5-5.6, 100-400 4.5-5.6, 16-35, 2.8, 8-15, 4.0 fisheye, 1.4 X and 2X TC
slimenta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19th of May 2012 (Sat)   #37
Zivnuska
Goldmember

Here's the test. Does the comment help the OP take his photography to the next level? If the comments are all glowing praise, that doesn't help. At the same time, postings by a newbie or relative beginner can't be totally trashed. That just makes the new shooter give up and never return. When I was the newbie, I hungered for advice that would help me move from being the worst photog to merely second worst. I'll be eternally grateful to the gifted shooters (Dennis W. Big K and others) who took the time to make constructive suggestions without trashing me totally.

Use the carrot as well as the stick.

Phil

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."
Zivnuska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of May 2012 (Tue)   #38
waterrockets
Goldmember

Quote:
Like the title says, why is the increasing trend in the sports section post "Nice photos" or "Excellent picture" or "Great set" when the reality is far from it? I for one hope that if I ever post a weak photo, people tell me that is sucks so that I can learn and grow from it instead of taking more weak photos thinking I am doing well.

Further, why is it that so many people do not mention "why" it is a great photo or great set?

Just some thoughts, time to hop off my soap box.
Nice post.

A+++ would read again

Old 26th of May 2012 (Sat)   #39
7D_Sniper
Goldmember

I post "Nice shot" to get my post count up. hehe Seriously though a quick nice shot is a compliment, take it for what it's worth. Looking at a photo and hitting the back button is a statement as well.
My Blog
http://www.hooddesigns.com
7D_Sniper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28th of May 2012 (Mon)   #40
arich

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7D_Sniper View Post
I post "Nice shot" to get my post count up. hehe Seriously though a quick nice shot is a compliment, take it for what it's worth. Looking at a photo and hitting the back button is a statement as well.
Actually its not because it doesn't really say anything other than "someone viewed this photo". A view without a comment could mean anything.
Old 29th of May 2012 (Tue)   #41
moose10101

Quote:
Like the title says, why is the increasing trend in the sports section post "Nice photos" or "Excellent picture" or "Great set" when the reality is far from it?
Maybe it's like critiquing boobs. They don't have to be spectacular to be fun to look at.

"Great set!"
moose10101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of May 2012 (Tue)   #42
David Arbogast
Goldmember

I think this thread topic reeks...how about that for some honest feedback? I could probably understand the OP's issue if it was in regard to the CC forum, where solid feedback should be expected, but in these image-sharing forums, people should say whatever they wish, including "great shot," "awesome," "great color". Don't like it? Then stay away (to save yourself the discomfort). Want to get the forum rules changed to serve your petty pet-peeves? Knock yourself out.
David Arbogast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29th of May 2012 (Tue)   #43
ajaffe

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Arbogast View Post
I think this thread topic reeks...how about that for some honest feedback? I could probably understand the OP's issue if it was in regard to the CC forum, where solid feedback should be expected, but in these image-sharing forums, people should say whatever they wish, including "great shot," "awesome," "great color". Don't like it? Then stay away (to save yourself the discomfort). Want to get the forum rules changed to serve your petty pet-peeves? Knock yourself out.
Hello sir. Apparently my post was too much of a puzzle for you to understand. In the efforts of helping you out I will clarify my statements. I am curious as to why people post comments that are undeserved, further, I am curious as to why people do not elaborate on what they post with a simple line of why they may like something. This type of honesty steps outside of the lazy realm into the constructive realm. My apologies for confusing you and in turn soliciting a response based on your petty pet-peeves.
ajaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30th of May 2012 (Wed)   #44
JasonMK

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJD.Photography View Post
I am guilty of this when commenting on flickr
I've commented to my wife that it seems that is the only option on flickr, people are "too nice". I have yet to get someone tell me that my photo was bad, boring, or lacking. But that seems to be the way things are on flickr, and that's fine. I post there to share, and post here for feedback.

I for one aim to be honest, but I am often unsure how any C&C will be received. Sometimes it is easier to just say nothing, as a genereic "great photo" often doesn't help much (as others have said).
Old 31st of May 2012 (Thu)   #45
S.Horton
dǝǝɥs ɐ ʎq pǝʞuɐds

At least half the time, I think I'm unqualified to even comment, considering what some of the world's most expensive photos look like to me.

I also noticed if I know someone's work pretty well, I will point out things like 'you missed a spot' when I'm sure the OP would not ordinarily miss it.

The best help I ever got, I was specific, and point-blank asked for it.

S.Horton is offline   Reply With Quote