Thread started 15 May 2012 (Tuesday) 23:24   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

whuband
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
1,364 posts
Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

I believe some people just want to reply, but really don't have anything to say. "Nice capture" or "sharp focus" seem to fit the bill.

Since there are people here of all levels of experience, a photo might appeal to someone, but they might not be able to define why. In that case we get a "nice photo".

Post #31, May 18, 2012 00:04:50 as a reply to post 14448392

1DM4, couple of 7D's, Panasonic LX7, 10-22mm, 17-55mm, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 70-200mm 2.8, 300mm 2.8, 580EXII (3), 430EX, Alien Bee 800's, tripods, stands, light modifiers, backgrounds, and (thanks to a friend) a well equipped studio to use.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
ajaffe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2010
784 posts
San Diego
[MORE/SHARE]

Do you really feel people are that daft? Even when I stunk more than I do now I knew what sharpness or colors or even subjects were. There has to be something that they feel is nice, so shouldn't they say what it is?

Example, photo of a guy with a ball. "Nice pic, I like the texture of the ball"

Post #32, May 18, 2012 01:32:05

www.aaronsjaffe.comexternal link | Canon 400mm IS f2.8L For Sale/Trade

You-by-Lou
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2011
1,687 posts
Manhattan
[MORE/SHARE]

whuband wrote in post #14449027external link
I believe some people just want to reply, but really don't have anything to say. "Nice capture" or "sharp focus" seem to fit the bill.

Since there are people here of all levels of experience, a photo might appeal to someone, but they might not be able to define why. In that case we get a "nice photo".

^^^^^^^^so spot one
surely agree... one may just want to acknowledge they looked
for a budding person a few "nice shot" is a lot better than no comment at all
and...for a budding person they may not feel they are qualified to comment on a photo so just say something nice as you said

sometimes POTN can really be elitist and picky

Post #33, May 18, 2012 05:41:46

You may say I'm a Zoomer, But I'm not the only one
Canon 5D mkIII
135L my new favorite

S.Horton
dǝǝɥs ɐ ʎq pǝʞuɐds
Joined Dec 2006
17,808 posts
Lehigh Valley, PA
[MORE/SHARE]

ajaffe wrote in post #14449253external link
Do you really feel people are that daft? ......"

Generally, yes.

Post #34, May 18, 2012 07:55:04

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.comexternal link
Want your title changed?Dream On!external link
[SIZE=2]:cool:

kenjancef
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2010
2,276 posts
East Providence, RI 02914
[MORE/SHARE]

ajaffe wrote in post #14449253external link
Do you really feel people are that daft? Even when I stunk more than I do now I knew what sharpness or colors or even subjects were. There has to be something that they feel is nice, so shouldn't they say what it is?

Example, photo of a guy with a ball. "Nice pic, I like the texture of the ball"

As one who has done the "nice shot", I do have to agree. For the most part I have gotten awesome criticism here, only one situation was bad. But I would like someone to say why or why isn't it a good pic because that's the only way to get better. I truly believe I've gotten better by taking advice from people here, directly and indirectly.

For ME (and I stress "ME"), even though a thousand people might say my work is good, I never do think so, so at times it's hard for me to criticize because I feel I have no place to, if that makes sense. So I look at comments by others, and apply that to my work.

Just my 2 cents...

Post #35, May 18, 2012 07:59:34

Gear List
My Flickr Pageexternal link

sponsored links
slimenta
Joined Oct 2009
369 posts
Charlotte, NC
[MORE/SHARE]

It's funny, as I read this thread< I started to realize why I spend less time on here and definitely less time commenting. The true pursuit of excellence is fostered by frank and honest feedback. That doesn't mean that it has to be perjorative and there may be a fine line. :)

Post #36, May 18, 2012 22:49:00 as a reply to post 14443604

www.stevenlimentanipho​tography.comexternal link
http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/members.html?id​=8865external link
1DX x 2, 1D Mark IV X 4, 5D Mark III x 3, 200-400, 4.0, 400 2.8 (II), 300 2.8, 200 2.0, 70-200 2.8 (II),135 2.0, 85, 1.2, 50 1.2, 24 1.4, 17-55 2.8, 24-70 2.8, 16-35 2.8, 28-300 3.5-5.6, 100-400 4.5-5.6, 16-35, 2.8, 8-15, 4.0 fisheye, 1.4 X and 2X TC

Zivnuska
Goldmember
Joined Oct 2007
3,096 posts
Wichita, Kansas
[MORE/SHARE]

Here's the test. Does the comment help the OP take his photography to the next level? If the comments are all glowing praise, that doesn't help. At the same time, postings by a newbie or relative beginner can't be totally trashed. That just makes the new shooter give up and never return. When I was the newbie, I hungered for advice that would help me move from being the worst photog to merely second worst. I'll be eternally grateful to the gifted shooters (Dennis W. Big K and others) who took the time to make constructive suggestions without trashing me totally.

Use the carrot as well as the stick.

Phil

Post #37, May 19, 2012 13:22:41 as a reply to slimenta's post 14 hours earlier.

www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​com/blog = My Blog
Gear List
www.zivnuska.zenfolio.​comexternal link

"It's not tight until you see the color of the irides."

waterrockets
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2010
3,668 posts
Austin (near TX)
[MORE/SHARE]

ajaffe wrote in post #14438517external link
Like the title says, why is the increasing trend in the sports section post "Nice photos" or "Excellent picture" or "Great set" when the reality is far from it? I for one hope that if I ever post a weak photo, people tell me that is sucks so that I can learn and grow from it instead of taking more weak photos thinking I am doing well.

Further, why is it that so many people do not mention "why" it is a great photo or great set?

Just some thoughts, time to hop off my soap box.

Nice post.

A+++ would read again

;)

Post #38, May 22, 2012 16:19:23

1D MkIII | 550D w/grip & ML| EF 70-200mm f2.8L| EF 24-105mm f4L IS | 430EXii | EF-S 18-55mm | EF 50mm f1.8 | Lowepro Toploader Pro 75 AW

7D_Sniper
Goldmember
Joined May 2010
2,204 posts
South FL
[MORE/SHARE]

I post "Nice shot" to get my post count up. hehe Seriously though a quick nice shot is a compliment, take it for what it's worth. Looking at a photo and hitting the back button is a statement as well.

Post #39, May 26, 2012 19:35:51

Run it's the big bad amateur
GEAR & FEEDBACK
Help Support POTN
My Blogexternal link
http://www.hooddesigns​.comexternal link

arich
Joined Dec 2011
400 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

7D_Sniper wrote in post #14489321external link
I post "Nice shot" to get my post count up. hehe Seriously though a quick nice shot is a compliment, take it for what it's worth. Looking at a photo and hitting the back button is a statement as well.

Actually its not because it doesn't really say anything other than "someone viewed this photo". A view without a comment could mean anything.

Post #40, May 28, 2012 23:21:44

http://andrew-richardson.netexternal link

moose10101
Goldmember
Joined May 2010
1,392 posts
Maryland, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

ajaffe wrote in post #14438517external link
Like the title says, why is the increasing trend in the sports section post "Nice photos" or "Excellent picture" or "Great set" when the reality is far from it?

Maybe it's like critiquing boobs. They don't have to be spectacular to be fun to look at.

"Great set!"

Post #41, May 29, 2012 13:15:14

sponsored links
David ­ Arbogast
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2010
5,435 posts
Lee's Summit, Missouri
[MORE/SHARE]

I think this thread topic reeks...how about that for some honest feedback? ;) I could probably understand the OP's issue if it was in regard to the CC forum, where solid feedback should be expected, but in these image-sharing forums, people should say whatever they wish, including "great shot," "awesome," "great color". Don't like it? Then stay away (to save yourself the discomfort). Want to get the forum rules changed to serve your petty pet-peeves? Knock yourself out.

Post #42, May 29, 2012 13:31:15 as a reply to Zivnuska's post 10 days earlier.

David | Flickrexternal link
Camera: [Canon 5D III] [Sony a7R]
Lens: [Canon TS-E 17mm, TS-E 24mm II, 70-200mm II] [Zeiss (ZE): Otus 55mm] [Nikon 14-24mm]

ajaffe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2010
784 posts
San Diego
[MORE/SHARE]

David Arbogast wrote in post #14501037external link
I think this thread topic reeks...how about that for some honest feedback? ;) I could probably understand the OP's issue if it was in regard to the CC forum, where solid feedback should be expected, but in these image-sharing forums, people should say whatever they wish, including "great shot," "awesome," "great color". Don't like it? Then stay away (to save yourself the discomfort). Want to get the forum rules changed to serve your petty pet-peeves? Knock yourself out.

Hello sir. Apparently my post was too much of a puzzle for you to understand. In the efforts of helping you out I will clarify my statements. I am curious as to why people post comments that are undeserved, further, I am curious as to why people do not elaborate on what they post with a simple line of why they may like something. This type of honesty steps outside of the lazy realm into the constructive realm. My apologies for confusing you and in turn soliciting a response based on your petty pet-peeves.

Post #43, May 29, 2012 22:39:59

www.aaronsjaffe.comexternal link | Canon 400mm IS f2.8L For Sale/Trade

JasonMK
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2011
1,180 posts
Bowie, MD
[MORE/SHARE]

JJD.Photography wrote in post #14438939external link
I am guilty of this when commenting on flickr

I've commented to my wife that it seems that is the only option on flickr, people are "too nice". I have yet to get someone tell me that my photo was bad, boring, or lacking. But that seems to be the way things are on flickr, and that's fine. I post there to share, and post here for feedback.

I for one aim to be honest, but I am often unsure how any C&C will be received. Sometimes it is easier to just say nothing, as a genereic "great photo" often doesn't help much (as others have said).

Post #44, May 30, 2012 14:52:37

-JasonMK on Flickrexternal link
650D | EF-S 18~135 STM | EF 50mm 1.4 | EF 100mm 2.8 USM Macro | Tamron 70~300mm 4.0-5.6 Di VC USD XLD | 430 EX II | Lowepro SlingShot 100 AW | EF 25 II | PS CC | LR5

S.Horton
dǝǝɥs ɐ ʎq pǝʞuɐds
Joined Dec 2006
17,808 posts
Lehigh Valley, PA
[MORE/SHARE]

At least half the time, I think I'm unqualified to even comment, considering what some of the world's most expensive photos look like to me.

I also noticed if I know someone's work pretty well, I will point out things like 'you missed a spot' when I'm sure the OP would not ordinarily miss it.

The best help I ever got, I was specific, and point-blank asked for it.

Post #45, May 31, 2012 05:48:33

Sam - TF Says Ishmael
http://midnightblue.sm​ugmug.comexternal link
Want your title changed?Dream On!external link
[SIZE=2]:cool:

LIST NEARBY THREADS
6,196 views & 0 likes for this thread
Why does everyone say nice photos?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES