Almost got scammed today

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk
Thread started 17 May 2012 (Thursday) 01:55   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

URLphotographer
Joined Apr 2012
143 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

So basically I posted in the "buy" section of classifieds for an X100. I received an email from a person with the email "dragginpure@gmail.com​" no name shows up in the "from" line of the email, just the word "hi." Everything started out great, he sounded like a real person and even gave me a picture of the camera and supposedly a shot that was taken with it (BTW, there's no one in the forum with that username.) when I asked him for his/her paypal address, he said he didn't have paypal and asked to do Amazon payments instead. I've never heard of this before went ahead and tried to sign up anyway-it was legit. I was having problems signing up so I asked him if I can just send him an Amazon giftcard. I said since i don't have protection from the giftcard, I'll pay him half and the other half once I receive the camera. He initially refused but relented to go ahead with the half payment ($450).

My spidey senses were tingling, so I decided to google the email address he gave me for the giftcard, orlandophotorep@live.c​om. Since it sounded like a business, I thought it might have some hits on google...nothing. So now I googled his email address, "dragginpure@gmail.com​" I found out that he's into virtual reality games and computers. Continued searching and found that someone was scammed by someone with the same email address. The person sent his payment via Amazon Payments, but the person never received his package--the seller never mailed it.

Having read this, I told him that my folks would visiting Orlando for vacation in the next couple of days and proposed a person to person meeting. He then had an excuse that he was going to Miami over the weekend to go fishing and diving. He even gave me the times he was going to fishing and diving and what time he was going to be in his hotel room. Even asked me if my folks were headed that way. I told him that my folks would be in Orlando for a couple of weeks and that they could meet him when he comes back. By this time his email grammar started to seem weird. Words started to get misspelled and so on.

Throughout this whole ordeal I kept asking for his name and if I could find him on Facebook, to put a face with the name. Well he didn't even want to give me his name, citing that he's had trouble with identity theft in the past. Eventualy he said the deal was off.

Moral of the story, use a secure way to pay for your stuff. If you think something's not right, it probably isn't. Be vigilant in your dealings with people, especially if they're non members. This person probably trolls around numerous forums, telling people they have what they want and offer it at a very reasonable price. You hurry and try to pay for the deal of a lifetime and lose sight of the big picture.

Has anyone here had a similar experience?

Post #1, May 17, 2012 01:55:15

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
BryantFC
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2011
2,605 posts
New Orleans, LA
[MORE/SHARE]

Easy. Only deal with established members. Even then you can still get scammed.

Post #2, May 17, 2012 01:57:19

Mamiya M645 1000S, Mamiya RZ67, Polaroid SX-70 Alpha, Polaroid 250 Auto Land Camera, Leica M3, Canon Elan II
www.bryantphethmanh.co​mexternal link
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/bryantphethmanh​/external link

URLphotographer
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2012
143 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

BryantFC wrote in post #14444212external link
Easy. Only deal with established members. Even then you can still get scammed.

While I do agree with you, I think you can still safely deal with new members. Everyone has a first time.

Post #3, May 17, 2012 02:05:22

mikeinctown
Goldmember
Joined May 2012
1,393 posts
Cleveland
[MORE/SHARE]

One other thing that you need to do in order to CYA is to NOT USE PAYPAL "GIFT" PAYMENTS. When you send someone money as a "gift", it requires no return of merchandise and you cannot open a claim. If they do not ship the items you are SOL. Another forum I belong to for a different hobby strictly prohibits asking people to pay by using the "gift" option and or asking people to pay the extra 3%. If you are selling something, you should build the cost of doing business into that asking price. This includes shipping in an expedited manner with tracking, such as Priority Mail.

Post #4, May 17, 2012 05:55:01

DStanic
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2007
6,140 posts
Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

If you don't feel comfortable with something (like the OP) then it's best to do some research like the OP did. Or, just don't buy the item. When buying used off the internet I only pay with paypal (unless it's amazon perhaps) and kijiji/craigslist you get to test the item before buying (and ask for receipts etc to ensure it's not stolen). I have never been ripped off, only once I received a bad copy of a lens when the seller only sent me low rez sample images (not sure if he didn't know how to send larger ones, or if he was intentional). I ended up selling it to someone who used it for video so all worked out in the end.

Post #5, May 17, 2012 06:53:29

Canon 60D, 30D
Tamron 28-75 2.8, Tamron 17-35, Sigma 50mm 1.4, Canon 85mm 1.8
Sony NEX 3n, kit lenses and 35mm 1.8 OSS

sponsored links
DisrupTer911
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2008
2,165 posts
NJ, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

mikeinctown wrote in post #14444650external link
One other thing that you need to do in order to CYA is to NOT USE PAYPAL "GIFT" PAYMENTS. When you send someone money as a "gift", it requires no return of merchandise and you cannot open a claim. If they do not ship the items you are SOL. Another forum I belong to for a different hobby strictly prohibits asking people to pay by using the "gift" option and or asking people to pay the extra 3%. If you are selling something, you should build the cost of doing business into that asking price. This includes shipping in an expedited manner with tracking, such as Priority Mail.

It's also against PayPals TermsOfService to purchase items using gift or charging for the 3% and if they catch on your account is suspended.

Post #6, May 17, 2012 08:08:21

www.vividemotionphotograph​y.comexternal link

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
44,432 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

paypal gift is a red flag for me to stay clear.

Post #7, May 17, 2012 08:19:48

brokensocial
Joined Apr 2012
481 posts
Chicago, Illinois
[MORE/SHARE]

Yup, Always look for feedback.

Post #8, May 17, 2012 18:50:02

[mike and frida] photography - we shoot stuff.
chicago wedding photographyexternal link | chicago wedding photography blogexternal link

tonylong
do I really have to respond?
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

You know, I've had a few attempts to scam me from putting things on sale in Craig's List.

Two people from out-of-the-coutry places like Nigeria actually mailed me "checks" for much more than the item was worth, and gave an elaborate scheme for delivering the item to a local "surrogate". Of course, a call to the bank confirmed that the check was a fake...

More recently, something more crazy happened -- someone from Nigeria claimed that they had put money in my PayPal account, pending "confirmation" of shipment. I then received email puporting to be from PayPal, first "confirming" the account activity. But I had sent email saying I wouldn't ship the item out of the country (much less Nigeria). My next email from "PayPal" threatened legal action.

The thing is, yes, the body of the "Papal" emails looked very "official", but the email address showed a "PayPal" account in quotes, followed by the real email address!

So, a quick call to PayPal confirmed -- this is becoming a common scam!

Post #9, May 17, 2012 19:45:05

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

moose10101
Goldmember
Joined May 2010
1,391 posts
Maryland, USA
[MORE/SHARE]

tonylong wrote in post #14447970external link
You know, I've had a few attempts to scam me from putting things on sale in Craig's List.

Two people from out-of-the-coutry places like Nigeria actually mailed me "checks" for much more than the item was worth, and gave an elaborate scheme for delivering the item to a local "surrogate". Of course, a call to the bank confirmed that the check was a fake...

More recently, something more crazy happened -- someone from Nigeria claimed that they had put money in my PayPal account, pending "confirmation" of shipment. I then received email puporting to be from PayPal, first "confirming" the account activity. But I had sent email saying I wouldn't ship the item out of the country (much less Nigeria). My next email from "PayPal" threatened legal action.

The thing is, yes, the body of the "Papal" emails looked very "official", but the email address showed a "PayPal" account in quotes, followed by the real email address!

So, a quick call to PayPal confirmed -- this is becoming a common scam!

It became common years ago. And it's easily avoided by not giving the buyer your PayPal email address; they don't need it. The buyer should provide their address to the seller, so the seller can send an invoice, which the buyer can then pay. And when the money actually appears in your PayPal account with an "Okay to ship" message, you send the item.

Of course, if you're asking for a "gift" transfer, you do have to surrender your email address, and this scam can burn you.

Post #10, May 18, 2012 09:50:52

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
44,432 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Good info Moose...I've always given out my email, I'll stop doing that.

Post #11, May 18, 2012 12:06:47

sponsored links
mikeinctown
Goldmember
Joined May 2012
1,393 posts
Cleveland
[MORE/SHARE]

rick_reno wrote in post #14451094external link

If you actually have any clue at all, it will not matter. (not you specifically, just in general "people") I've sent my email address to hundreds of people to send me PP payments and never had a problem. One just has to realize to not follow links and to go straight to the source. Doing this, I doubt one would ever have a problem.

Post #12, May 18, 2012 12:22:45

MikeFairbanks
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jun 2009
6,428 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Using Paypal Gift for a purchase is no different than selling someone else's photography without permission/payment, etc.

Paypal Gift is for giving money, not buying and selling.

I won't buy from anyone who says, "paypal gift" or "$400 net to me."

You know what? Just list your price. If you don't want to pay the three percent, add it on top and just list your price. It's honest and it's right.

As far as thieves are concerned, they would do a lot better in life and be much more financially secure if they made an honest living. I seriously doubt you'll find someone in a nice home who says, "I got all this by scamming people on Craigslist."

Post #13, May 18, 2012 12:34:53 as a reply to mikeinctown's post 12 minutes earlier.

Thank you. bw!

tonylong
do I really have to respond?
Joined Sep 2007
53,001 posts
Vancouver, WA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

rick_reno wrote in post #14451094external link

I've given my PayPal "name"/email address, and except for that one time there hasn't been a problem, but those people knew how to make their email "look authentic". But, I know to just go to PayPal myself and confirm that "good money" has actually arrived. I don't ship something unless the money has actually arrived and I can transfer it to my bank account.

I haven't done any of this as a business, just selling my personal items, so don't have a "sophisticated" approach. It's just been 1-1 dealings and I also don't ship out of the US.

For now, though, I am (hopefully) done selling stuff off!

Post #14, May 18, 2012 13:35:28

Tony
Two Canon cameras (5DC, 30D), three Canon lenses (24-105, 100-400, 100mm macro)
Tony Long Photos on PBaseexternal link
Wildlife project pics hereexternal link, Biking Photog shoots hereexternal link, "Suburbia" project hereexternal link! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics hereexternal link

ggibbs1971
Joined Mar 2003
309 posts
Sarasota, FL
[MORE/SHARE]

Yep, I did a deal with him this past week. I can say goodbye to $600. I guess I learned my lesson.

Post #15, May 20, 2012 08:44:44

Geoff
40D, 5D, 50/1.8, 100/2, 300/f4, 17-35/2.8-4, 28-70/2.8, 70-300 IS, 580EX, 680, 3001N, Nova 5, Rezo 170, Edit 140, & Slingshot 100Aw.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
2,050 views & 0 likes for this thread
Almost got scammed today
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES