Thread started 24 May 2012 (Thursday) 03:46   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

lensfreak
Joined May 2012
484 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi,

Being new to HDR, I have a question.

If I am looking at a landscape style HDR, where should I get my first baseline exposure?

I use -2 0 +2 brackets but should I be getting the 0 exposure on the clouds or the land?

Den

Post #1, May 24, 2012 03:46:14

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
sas8888
Joined Jun 2007
828 posts
Porto de Galinhas, Brazil
[MORE/SHARE]

The 0 exposure will be the middle of the light the -2 will be the lightest part of the photo or usually in your landscape would be the clouds the +2 would be some part of the landscape that is dark. Remember that HDR has to do with High Dynamic Range so your base line 0 is going to be the middle of the exposure range of the situation. If you are using -2 0 +2 sometimes you might want to do a 5 exposure in 1 stop so you get -2 -1 0 +1 +2 it all depends on the situation.

Post #2, May 24, 2012 06:32:03

Scott
gripped 5D MkII

16-35L 50 1.4 85L 135L
70-200 IS Mk2 17mm TS-e

lensfreak
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined May 2012
484 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

i understand where 0 comes into play, but if you expose for sky as opposed to land the resulting settings will differ which in turn will cause the brackets to expose at different levels
For a landscape, where should I start to intial exposure, on the sky or land?

Post #3, May 24, 2012 08:18:05

kirkt
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2008
4,317 posts
Philadelphia, PA USA
[MORE/SHARE]

You should use spot metering on your camera and meter a few parts of your scene, the ones that represent the extremes (highlight, shadow) that you are aiming to capture with detail. This metering process will establish the exposure "bookends" for the range you need to capture. This is more informative and accurate than assuming some average, overall brightness (i.e., average, evaluative metering) and assuming that +/-2 will get you the exposures you need.

That being said, most landscape images do not require HDR, or, at most only require one overall exposure and one more for highlights. But, metering the lights and darks with the spot meter will inform your exposure choice more accurately than assuming "average" +/- 2EV.

kirk

Post #4, May 24, 2012 09:02:56

Kirk
---

LIST NEARBY THREADS
452 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where to expose
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos HDR Creation

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES