Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing > HDR
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th of May 2012 (Thu)   #1
lensfreak

Default Where to expose

Hi,

Being new to HDR, I have a question.

If I am looking at a landscape style HDR, where should I get my first baseline exposure?

I use -2 0 +2 brackets but should I be getting the 0 exposure on the clouds or the land?

Den
lensfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of May 2012 (Thu)   #2
sas8888

Default Re: Where to expose

The 0 exposure will be the middle of the light the -2 will be the lightest part of the photo or usually in your landscape would be the clouds the +2 would be some part of the landscape that is dark. Remember that HDR has to do with High Dynamic Range so your base line 0 is going to be the middle of the exposure range of the situation. If you are using -2 0 +2 sometimes you might want to do a 5 exposure in 1 stop so you get -2 -1 0 +1 +2 it all depends on the situation.

16-35L 50 1.4 85L 135L
70-200 IS Mk2 17mm TS-e
sas8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of May 2012 (Thu)   #3
lensfreak

i understand where 0 comes into play, but if you expose for sky as opposed to land the resulting settings will differ which in turn will cause the brackets to expose at different levels
For a landscape, where should I start to intial exposure, on the sky or land?
lensfreak is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of May 2012 (Thu)   #4
kirkt
Goldmember

You should use spot metering on your camera and meter a few parts of your scene, the ones that represent the extremes (highlight, shadow) that you are aiming to capture with detail. This metering process will establish the exposure "bookends" for the range you need to capture. This is more informative and accurate than assuming some average, overall brightness (i.e., average, evaluative metering) and assuming that +/-2 will get you the exposures you need.

That being said, most landscape images do not require HDR, or, at most only require one overall exposure and one more for highlights. But, metering the lights and darks with the spot meter will inform your exposure choice more accurately than assuming "average" +/- 2EV.

kirk
kirkt is online now   Reply With Quote