Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories
Thread started 26 May 2012 (Saturday) 20:23
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Best Value - "Flat Top" - "No Column", Carbon Tripod?

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Salisbury, UK.
May 29, 2012 10:14 |  #16

msowsun wrote in post #14499744external link
Thanks, but what is "GRP"?

Sorry, its the Brit way of talking about fibreglass. Its a simple material to manipulate with hand tools.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.comexternal link

sponsored links
peter_n
Goldmember
2,351 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Boston, MA
May 30, 2012 07:03 |  #17

babel_fish wrote in post #14498700external link
Thank you everyone for all of your suggestions and ideas. I am looking into Feisol and Benro for new tripods and also I have found a few models of Gitzo that meet my requirements on the used market. Specifically the 1325 and 1548 (there is likely more).

Sounds good. My first good tripod was a used Gitzo and it was excellent. You can find them in the classifieds here and also over in the Fred Miranda forum.

~Peter

babel_fish
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,822 posts
Joined Dec 2008
Seattle
May 30, 2012 07:07 |  #18

Its funny. Since making that post, I have learned that many are not so appreciative of the original 1st series Gitzo CF tripods. Most everyone seems to have an opinion on the leg locks being junk and the twisting legs... ugg...

Back to the drawing board.

Im thinking of pushing it and picking up the Manfrotto 057.

"The time you enjoy wasting is not wasted time." -Bertrand Russell
"dude, are you even paying attention!,
Mike

Lowner
"I'm the original idiot"
12,924 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Salisbury, UK.
May 30, 2012 07:48 |  #19

babel_fish wrote in post #14504948external link
Its funny. Since making that post, I have learned that many are not so appreciative of the original 1st series Gitzo CF tripods. Most everyone seems to have an opinion on the leg locks being junk and the twisting legs... ugg...

Back to the drawing board.

Im thinking of pushing it and picking up the Manfrotto 057.

I certainly prefer the Manfrotto leg locks.

Richard

http://rcb4344.zenfoli​o.comexternal link

peter_n
Goldmember
2,351 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Boston, MA
May 30, 2012 08:13 |  #20

Mine is a Gitzo 1228 Mark 2. The leg locks are really smooth and a pleasure to use. I've actually found the modern Gitzos worse, I had a 1541T that I thought had somewhat jerky locks, and currently use a 3541LS with jerky locks. I keep on meaning to strip it down and replace all the lubricants but I haven't done it yet.

~Peter

Jethro790
Goldmember
2,193 posts
Joined Nov 2004
Southern New Hampshire
May 30, 2012 09:18 |  #21

Most everyone seems to have an opinion on the leg locks being junk and the twisting legs... ugg...

Like you need another opinion... but mine is fairly simple, so I'll share it here. When I bought my first tripod years ago, I was convinced that it must have flip locks. Seemed to make sense to me about how they must be easier and faster, so I bought a nice Manfrotto tripod. It was great, but a little heavy, and when I brought it into the field I would use a backpack that had a tripod sleeve, and the flip locks, being larger in size were a little cumbersome to get into the tripod sleeve. I decided to buy a tripod for lightweight field use and figured I would "suffer" with twist locks due to the smaller diameter the closed tripod would be. What I discovered is that twist locks are amazingly faster than the flip locks. You can grap all three (or four) at the same time and half twist them all at the same time and the legs drop. When you go to pack up, you can close all locks at the same time. Not to mention the smaller closed diameter of the tripod. I would never buy a flip lock tripod again for field use, and I was absolutely 100% sure that a flip lock tripod was superior.

If you must know...

sponsored links

13,394 views & 0 likes for this thread
Best Value - "Flat Top" - "No Column", Carbon Tripod?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.