The train I work on....

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation
Thread started 08 Dec 2005 (Thursday) 11:50   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

badrotation
Joined Apr 2005
390 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Guess I will post these, even though they suck composition-wise. Took them while waiting for passengers to board the train, and then at night while we were prepping to shut down the locomotive for the week. We will have her fired up again friday, and will be running between Owosso, MI and Chesaning, MI on Saturday and Sunday at 10am and 4pm (returning at 2pm, and 8pm respectively)

BTW, this is the locomotive used for the sounds and to generate the CGI locomotive in 'The Polar Express'

There was a deisel behind it with headlights on in the night shots, which really screwed with blowing out the highlights in the steam.

And the second shot doesnt show it, but we have 4 more passenger coaches behind the two in the photo, and then two beautifully restored cabooses.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
http://home.comcast.ne​t/%7Ebadrotation/12251​.jpgexternal link
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'text/html'

http://home.comcast.ne​t/%7Ebadrotation/12252​.jpgexternal link

http://home.comcast.ne​t/%7Ebadrotation/12253​.jpgexternal link

http://home.comcast.ne​t/%7Ebadrotation/12255​.jpgexternal link

http://home.comcast.ne​t/%7Ebadrotation/12256​.jpgexternal link

http://home.comcast.ne​t/%7Ebadrotation/12251​sep.jpgexternal link

Post #1, Dec 08, 2005 11:50:36

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
badrotation
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2005
390 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Its not every day you get to see a 400 ton, 101ft. long steam locomotive fired up and running... Costs us about $10,000 a day to operate.

Post #2, Dec 08, 2005 11:51:48

TwoBit
Mostly Lurking
Joined Dec 2005
13 posts
Toronto, ON, Canada
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't see anything wrong with the composition. Keep up the good work.

Post #3, Dec 08, 2005 11:59:00

Two Bit Digital
Canon G3
Nikon Super Coolscan 5000 ED
Canon 8400F Flatbed
3.06GHz P4 2GB RAM
Pair of LG 1952TX LCD's
Matrox RT.X100 editing.
More other stuff than required.

kaitanium
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2005
3,667 posts
Sacramento/San Francisco USA
[MORE/SHARE]

ooo, like the last one, i wonder what it will look like if it was compeltely spepia toned. may look like somehting from the US civil war era. almost surreal and painterly!

Post #4, Dec 08, 2005 12:55:40

Ballen ­ Photo
Joined Nov 2003
18,718 posts
Southern Nevada
[MORE/SHARE]

These are GREAT! I really like the last one as well. :D
Since you mentioned it, I'm curious now as to why it costs so much to run? Coal or wood and water for go power, right? $10,000 a day seems mighty high.
-Bruce

Post #5, Dec 08, 2005 13:58:01

The Captain and crew finally got their stuff together, now if we can only remember where we left it. :cool:
http://c.24zero.comexternal link

sponsored links
Mike ­ Smith
Joined Sep 2005
224 posts
Columbia Basin, Washington
[MORE/SHARE]

Nice shots. If those are your "bad composition" shots, I can't wait to see the good ones.

Post #6, Dec 08, 2005 14:00:14

Mike Smith
Visit Railroad Photo Essays.comexternal link

wolverinesr1
Goldmember
Joined May 2004
1,554 posts
S.E. Michigan
[MORE/SHARE]

i think they are all good

Post #7, Dec 08, 2005 17:34:19

Jeff

Canon 7D, Canon 24-70 2.8 L, Canon 70-200 F4 L, Sigma 150-500 DG OS f 5-6.3 ,Canon EF 50mm 1.4 , Kenko 1.4 TC, Canon Speedlite 580 EX

badrotation
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2005
390 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Ballen Photo wrote:
These are GREAT! I really like the last one as well. :D
Since you mentioned it, I'm curious now as to why it costs so much to run? Coal or wood and water for go power, right? $10,000 a day seems mighty high.
-Bruce

Basically coal/water/Liability insurance every time we run it/maintnence, Chase deisel (in case something were to happen where we would need a tow. It happens quite often with antique equipment which you cant get parts for anymore), and trackage rights to go out onto other railroads.

It runs us between $10,000 and $12,000 every day it is fired up.

Post #8, Dec 08, 2005 20:15:37 as a reply to Ballen Photo's post 6 hours earlier.

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
Joined Feb 2003
12,743 posts
Chattanooga, Tennessee
[MORE/SHARE]

Nice shots - I like them, but especially #1. Seems to be huffing a good bit of steam from all over in that cold weather. :)

It is an expensive contraption, though. I wonder what it would cost to run if you had parts readily available. I know that steam can't compete with the diesels, but I also know that BTU for BTU, coal is a cheaper fuel (and plentiful, if a bit dirtier).

Post #9, Dec 08, 2005 20:21:13

Tom
5D III, 70D, & various lenses

badrotation
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2005
390 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Tom W wrote:
Nice shots - I like them, but especially #1. Seems to be huffing a good bit of steam from all over in that cold weather. :)

It is an expensive contraption, though. I wonder what it would cost to run if you had parts readily available. I know that steam can't compete with the diesels, but I also know that BTU for BTU, coal is a cheaper fuel (and plentiful, if a bit dirtier).

Lol, this locomotive is nowhere near as fuel efficient as a deisel. We burn a ton of coal every ten miles, so as you can guess, a deisel is MUCH cheaper to operate.

We have actually been paying quite a bit for coal lately unfortunately. Hopefully the prices will drop back down soon.

The locomotive weighs 400 tons, while a modern deisel-electric only weighs 100-160tons.

It wouldnt cost much less if we had spare parts. Most of the stuff that does break is minor, and can be fabricated by the guys in our shop rather quickly.

Post #10, Dec 08, 2005 20:28:02 as a reply to Tom W's post 6 minutes earlier.

Tom ­ W
Canon Fanosapien
Joined Feb 2003
12,743 posts
Chattanooga, Tennessee
[MORE/SHARE]

badrotation wrote:
Lol, this locomotive is nowhere near as fuel efficient as a deisel. We burn a ton of coal every ten miles, so as you can guess, a deisel is MUCH cheaper to operate.

In the electric power industry, the situation is much different. Oil can't touch coal there. Of course, the entire turbine/reheat/condens​ing process is very refined in a steam-driven power plant. Especially in the supercritical 3500 PSI multi-stage units.

We have actually been paying quite a bit for coal lately unfortunately. Hopefully the prices will drop back down soon.

Big jump in energy costs of late. I think coal is just jumping up a bit based on demand and fear. It'll settle down in a bit.

The locomotive weighs 400 tons, while a modern deisel-electric only weighs 100-160tons.

Well, that's a bit of a difference! :)

It wouldnt cost much less if we had spare parts. Most of the stuff that does break is minor, and can be fabricated by the guys in our shop rather quickly.

That's good to know.

Of course, if steam were competitive, NS, CSX, and the rest would be using a bit of it by now. As it stands now, even the railroad lines that run through coal country would not even consider such a move.

Post #11, Dec 08, 2005 21:54:17 as a reply to badrotation's post 1 hour earlier.

Tom
5D III, 70D, & various lenses

sponsored links
badrotation
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2005
390 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Tom W wrote:
Of course, if steam were competitive, NS, CSX, and the rest would be using a bit of it by now. As it stands now, even the railroad lines that run through coal country would not even consider such a move.

Yeah, they say for every day of active service, a steam locomotive will spend a day in the shops. They are maintnence hogs.

Post #12, Dec 08, 2005 22:06:14 as a reply to Tom W's post 11 minutes earlier.

Paul ­ A
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2005
5,040 posts
California
[MORE/SHARE]

They look great to me.

Post #13, Dec 08, 2005 23:11:00

GearList
Face Book Pageexternal link
My Smugmug Pageexternal link
Photography is my only pathological addiction; hopefully it won't drive me to something worse. :rolleyes: :oops:

Jon ­ Foster
is it safe?
Joined Feb 2005
4,508 posts
White Lake, MI
[MORE/SHARE]

Oh man, that last picture in the set is just awesome!

Jon.

Post #14, Dec 08, 2005 23:19:39

I shoot with a Little Canon

Check out my photos @ PBase.comexternal link & ModelMayhem.comexternal link

badrotation
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Apr 2005
390 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Jon Foster wrote:
Oh man, that last picture in the set is just awesome!

Jon.

:) thanks.

Like I said in your other thread, head on up here sometime and check it out. If you catch us on a day it is back in the shop, I can get you up in the cab and show you around.

Right now is the best time to catch it running though, since we run saturdays and sundays.

We only bring the locomotive out a few times each year, so catching it operating is quite rare.

Post #15, Dec 09, 2005 00:03:45 as a reply to Jon Foster's post 44 minutes earlier.

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,703 views & 0 likes for this thread
The train I work on....
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Transportation

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES