Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > The Business of Photography
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 28th of May 2012 (Mon)   #1
s2kdriver80

Question Simple event photography agreement/contract and business/insurance questions

I've shot a few events, the latest of which was of my friend's daughter's christening/baptism. Everyone who saw the photos thought they were exceptional (by hardcore POTN standards, might be relegated to just "good" lol) and a friend of a friend of said friend wants me to do an upcoming event after seeing my photos.

I'd like to have them sign a simple contract that covers the following basics...

1) Can't guarantee that the photos will turn out exactly how they envision nor can I guarantee that the quality of the photos will be on par with my previous jobs. 99% chance it won't happen, but it needs to be said, just like routine medical procedures are subject to the same consenting.

2) Be able to use any and all photos on my personal site/facebook/flickr/etc and to show others as part of my portfolio.

3) I myself will choose what photos the client gets. No way I want to give out OOF pictures that for some weird reason the client thinks are good.

4) Every single photo that I give to the client will be given individual attention and post-processed.

5) Should anything be said about copyright matters?

Have I covered the bases? What other bare essentials do I need? Anyone have a pre-made template I can use that is very close to what I'm looking for?

Also, another question, do I have to be registered as some kind of business to accept payment? I expect assignments to come up sporadically and not on some kind of regular basis, so I don't know if that still justifies needing a business front or getting insurance. I understand if I was regularly getting business, but I'm seeing this as like a once-every-few-months work. Plus, it's not going to be high stress weddings but mundane events. And the last question is, how would I determine the going rate?

Thanks in advance.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III x2 | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon Speedlite 430EX II x2 | B+W filters | Black Rapid R-straps | Gitzo/Markins
s2kdriver80 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 28th of May 2012 (Mon)   #2
mobei

Default Re: Simple event photography agreement/contract and business/insurance questions

I don't know of a single state that would exempt you from a sales tax license if you are selling photos. There is no difference between part time and full time.
mobei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of June 2012 (Sun)   #3
jmorales

Default Re: Simple event photography agreement/contract and business/insurance questions

Where to start...

1) Why in the world would you want to state this. You either are confident in your work or you turn the job down.

2) Covered in a standard event release

3) How are they going to know how many photos you take. Give them the ones that you see fit.

4) Who cares. Do what you have to in order for the photos to meet your quality standards. Some may need post processing, some may come out of the cam ready for delivery.

5) covered in a standard event release. Make sure you keep ownership to the photos. Will you be giving them prints or digital copies of the photos? What do they expect?

Business registration and taxes... this cost money to setup and you are not making enough in photography to cover it. You can work under your name and claim (highly suggested) the income on your taxes. This keeps you legal and hopefully out of trouble with the man.

Good luck.
jmorales is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 3rd of June 2012 (Sun)   #4
elrey2375
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmorales View Post
Where to start...

1) Why in the world would you want to state this. You either are confident in your work or you turn the job down.

2) Covered in a standard event release

3) How are they going to know how many photos you take. Give them the ones that you see fit.

4) Who cares. Do what you have to in order for the photos to meet your quality standards. Some may need post processing, some may come out of the cam ready for delivery.

5) covered in a standard event release. Make sure you keep ownership to the photos. Will you be giving them prints or digital copies of the photos? What do they expect?

Business registration and taxes... this cost money to setup and you are not making enough in photography to cover it. You can work under your name and claim (highly suggested) the income on your taxes. This keeps you legal and hopefully out of trouble with the man.

Good luck.
Because you're not God? Here's a standard clause I include to cover such things OP

(photographer) will make every reasonable effort to take photos specifically requested by the client, client will stipulate this is an uncontrolled event and due to vagaries such as weather, available light, time restrictions and willingness of subjects, (photographer) cannot guarantee that ALL requested photos will be taken.
elrey2375 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of June 2012 (Sun)   #5
jmorales

Quote:
Originally Posted by elrey2375 View Post
Because you're not God? Here's a standard clause I include to cover such things OP

(photographer) will make every reasonable effort to take photos specifically requested by the client, client will stipulate this is an uncontrolled event and due to vagaries such as weather, available light, time restrictions and willingness of subjects, (photographer) cannot guarantee that ALL requested photos will be taken.

Good clause. I have never run into a case where I wish I had it. I have had events where the conditons were not ideal but the customer understood the situation. Luckily it has not bitten me in the rear end. I will keep this clause in mind.
jmorales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 3rd of June 2012 (Sun)   #6
s2kdriver80

Thanks all for the replies. Yea I think it's a good thing to have just to cover your ass if nothing else. It's not about not being confident about the job, 1) there is always a possibility things can happen that are not within your control (what if your gear acts up or gets stolen on location, etc), 2) photography can be subjective, what you and I and most people consider excellent, the client may not and try to get you to offer more services or demand a refund, etc.
Canon EOS 5D Mark III x2 | Canon EF 24-105mm f/4L IS USM | Canon EF 16-35mm f/2.8L II USM | Canon EF 70-200mm f/4L IS USM | Canon EF 50mm f/1.4 USM | Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | Canon Speedlite 430EX II x2 | B+W filters | Black Rapid R-straps | Gitzo/Markins
s2kdriver80 is offline   Reply With Quote