Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions
Thread started 01 Jun 2012 (Friday) 09:04
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon DSLR Speed Challenge #241: Perspective Distortion

Kevan
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Easton, MD
Jun 01, 2012 09:04 |  #1

Canon DSLR Speed Challenge #241

Perspective Distortion

Perspective distortion is the theme of this challenge. PD, as I'll call it, per Wikipedia, states that the distortion takes two forms: extension distortion and compression distortion, also called wide-angle distortion and long-lens or telephoto distortion. I'll provide the link below if you wish to read more about it. Anyway, some folk consider PD to be a curse, but in clever situations it can make an image. So get out there with your wide-angle, telephotos and or zooms and have some fun. Do all of us a favor too, please include in your EXIF detail the lens or power equivalent used for those zooms, just so we can get a sense of your voodoo.

http://en.wikipedia.or​g ...e_distortion_(photo​graphyexternal link)

This challenge begins when posted, and will end at 6:00 p.m. Pacific time Thurs, 7 June 2012. Winner of this challenge will be announced shortly thereafter.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Here’s the judgement:

pappawheely - Big Sky: Mike, nice start to the game. Heck, not only is the sky big, but so too the terrain and trucks. I really enjoy this image, the trucks are just busting out of the picture in a kick of dust. Awesome! The distortion isn’t quite as pronounced, I think because of the safe distance you gave the subjects. Rightly so.

lavanut - Hands Off: lava, my...what a big wing you’ve got there. You have the distortion pegged, but I have two minor nitpicks, I think to the viewer, the fuselage would have made for a more interesting focal point than the “HANDS OFF”, mainly because you have us following that long wing to its inevitable connection to the body beyond. Call me a dirty dawg, but I think I’d like to have seen the belle painted on the motor’s housing more than the stencil. The other minor nit, the treatment of the sky so closely matches the soft focus wing edge, I as the viewer dwelled too long to define the division. The reflective quality of the wing might have made solving that particular issue near impossible, but with some burning maybe a line can be defined.

teekay - Totem In The Rain: teekay, I’ve always enjoyed looking at totem poles. That bright sky almost defies the rain reference, but I see the eagle has a runny beak of sorts. Here again, distortion is evident, but I’m not sure that it’s to the service of the subject and overall image. The compression makes the pole’s detail difficult to see, towards the top. Also, the pole is leading us up to a nearly blown out sky, pronouncing it, something we all dread on those bright-dull days. One last nit, I think there’s too much of the image taken up by the underneath portion of the beak, caught in deep shade. I can see conditions were tough and I’m willing to say given the opportunity, I would have probably tried the same perspective myself. Distortion you delivered, but I miss some of the detail.

airfrogusmc - New Mexican distortion: Allen, nice conversion, terrific detail, and super sharpness. Yup, you got yourself a pew-full of distortion there. I’ve been struggling with this image. Here’s the thing...I know I asked for distortion, but that leading edge that is facing us up front, is leaning some, and I’m spending all my time looking at the image trying to get it to stand vertically. Not satisfied, I copied your image and in pp straightened the lines, but by doing so, I lost the distortion I had asked for. I don’t know...I guess it comes down to some times distortion works for an image and sometimes it doesn’t. I just don’t think it works well here. I hope you have some extra room around this subject to tweak the lines, because it makes for a solid image otherwise.

Jason C - Welcome to Union Station: Jason, boy, you got some nice lines going there, and off into the distance. I like the image, it’s classic and almost timeless in feel. The cars are nicely compressed, and the soft focus supports the distance effect. I really like too those dotted line of lights. Really, nice shot, good move with the conversion too. I hope no one kicked the camera while hurrying for the train. My single nit, is the lone individual to the left, I think, who is barely discernible. I think just a itsy bit more information there would help the viewer.

Maureen Souza - Salt Lake City Temple: Mo, I didn’t know they had those mirror balls in the gardens there. Fun image; fun lens, no doubt. Just one minor nit, that piece of debris up in the upper righthand corner. Clone that out and it’s solid. To a lesser extent, that lens flare too could be popped, as it doesn’t do much to add or detract from the overall image. Easy nonintrusive fixes. I like this shot.

Flo - Rock and Shadow: Gail, sorry, I’m just not getting this image. Perhaps if the concentration was simply on the rock, then maybe, but the green background forces me to think this image is part of something bigger. Also, I’m left a bit confused by the objective here, as the focus is placed squarely on the shadow edge, leaving most of the image fuzzy. I can see the compression effect you’re striving for, but I think the other two concerns detract from your goal.

MSJGD - Going forward: Jean-Guy, I can just see you..camera in hand, waiting for the sun to line up, framed in the ship’s bridge wing. Hoping that that person on top doesn’t leave, or worse...start suffering from seasickness. Dramatic scene. I see the compression that doesn’t fully deceive me; you’re on a large ship. The darkness of the ship’s superstructure is a good offset to the bright sky and ocean beyond. You’ve made it a point that the sun’s framing is important, so rightfully so, it’s centered left to right. Nice balance over all of light and dark. Good focus...spankin’ shot! My guess, this image is near one of a kind.

kbColorado - you KNOW that lens makes my head look big: kb, I think you were given the proverbial hairy eyeball, there. Good distortion, reasonably used. I wish I was there with you and the pup. Tough subject of course, he (?) almost blends into the rocks beyond and I think your use of a flash helped make the fur pop just enough to improve the distinction. I’m not sure about the dog’s expression, qualifying as a “happy to be photographed” one. It’s a bit offsetting...that expression, kind of like the sidewise glance you’d expect to see from a sidewalk vendor while shooting a street scene. It’s that eye...

Folks, do know that my comments are nitpicks, that I have to chew on your image for a while just so I can come to an order of things. I hope I’ve been helpful, more importantly, I hope you feel I was accurate. Thanks for playing.

3rd place: pappawheely - Big Sky

2nd place: Jason C - Welcome to Union Station

1st place: MSJGD - Going forward

Take it away Jean-Guy

Standard Rules apply:
Photo Submissions:

1. Camera - Any Canon DSLR Camera
2. Time - any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
3. Size - Please visit Image Posting Rules.
4. Post-Processing - do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
5. Posting - * ONE PHOTO per photographer in each challenge.* Photo Name in the message subject line.* Camera model & lens used.* Notes -- post brief EXIF data including ISO, shutter speed and aperture used.
6. Commenting - No commenting during challenge. When the posting is closed and a winner has been declared, comments can be made in this thread.
7. Keep it clean, and both Family and Work safe.
8. Have questions, PM me.
9. Have FUN!

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:

* New Topic - After winner is declared.
* Posting Starts - Right after topic is announced.
* Posting Ends - 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time Thursday, 7 June 2012.
* Winner from this competition decides the theme of the next one (and judges it for a winner) after this competition is closed.

kevan's lensexternal link

sponsored links
pappawheely
282 posts
Joined May 2008
Jun 01, 2012 15:22 |  #2

Big Sky

IMAGE: http://i451.photobucket.com/albums/qq235/pappawheely/canon%20forum/BITDPARKER2011_3052canon.jpg

EOS 7D
F/10
1/320th
iso 100
11mm focal length

"Know when to Shoot... And when to Scoot"
http://www.mikesraceph​oto.comexternal link

lavanut
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2007
Duluth, GA
Jun 02, 2012 13:52 as a reply to pappawheely's post |  #3

Hands Off

Hands Off

IMAGE: http://www.lhdigitals.com/Events/PDK-Airshow-2012/i-ZLgHXTR/2/XL/IL6A2969-hdr-XL.jpg

5D MKIII
17-40L @21mm
f/7.1
1/1250
ISO 160

I may be fascinated with volcanoes, but the name's Lisa.
My new website (external link) | ThePhotoHopper on Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Macrohopper on Instagram (nothing but macros) (external link) |
My Weather Station (external link)

teekay
Goldmember
2,557 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Jun 02, 2012 18:33 as a reply to lavanut's post |  #4

Totem In The Rain

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

60D 1/320 f/8 ISO400 17mm (Tamron 17-50)

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Jun 02, 2012 21:37 as a reply to teekay's post |  #5

New Mexican distortion

IMAGE: http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y118/airfrogusmc/246SantaFe09BW.jpg

Camera Make: Canon
Camera Model: Canon EOS 5D
Color/bw: Black and white
Flash Used: No
Focal Length: 24.0mm
Exposure Time: 1/100
Aperture: f/5.6
ISO Equiv.: 100
Whitebalance: Manual
Exposure Mode: Manual

Jason ­ C
Goldmember
Joined Dec 2007
Calabasas, CA
Jun 03, 2012 23:26 |  #6

Welcome to Union Station

IMAGE: http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6179/6168243960_850b900be9_b.jpg

Mind the Gap!

40D
50/1.4
1/50th sec
f/2
iso 400
16 March 2009

Jason C

Equipment & Feedback
"I am not interested in shooting new things-I am interested to see things new"--Ernst Haas

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,625 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Jun 04, 2012 17:55 as a reply to Jason C's post |  #7

Salt Lake City Temple

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

5DII
15mm
f/11
1/200
ISO 100

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Nanaimo,B.C.
Jun 04, 2012 18:24 as a reply to Maureen Souza's post |  #8

Rock and Shadow

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

Canon 40D
IS0 400
1/1250
f/7.1
200mm

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

MSJGD
Goldmember
1,234 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Laval, Quebec, Canada
Jun 05, 2012 10:31 |  #9

Going forward

IMAGE: http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r12/jgdphoto/bateau-1.jpg

Canon EOS 10D
1/200 sec
f/9.0
ISO 100
Focal length 98.00 mm

Jean-Guy
7D, 17-40 1:4 L, 70-300 1:4-5.6 L, 50mm 1:1.8
photosjgd.caexternal link

kbColorado
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
Jun 06, 2012 08:34 |  #10

you KNOW that lens makes my head look big

IMAGE: http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j100/kbtrans/sophie14-1.jpg

June 3, 2012
Canon 5DMKII
Rokinon 14mm
1/125 sec
f22
ISO 320
580EXII Speedlight

Paul
deep greens and blues are the colors I choose ...

Kevan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Easton, MD
Jun 07, 2012 20:13 |  #11

The challenge is now closed. I'll be back in a bit with the results.

Kevan
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Easton, MD
Jun 07, 2012 22:00 |  #12

Results posted above. Good night everyone, see you on the next challenge.

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Nanaimo,B.C.
Jun 07, 2012 22:06 as a reply to Kevan's post |  #13

WTG Jean-guy!

Honestly, this one stumped me even after looking at the entries. But thats a good thing!

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

lavanut
Goldmember
Joined Sep 2007
Duluth, GA
Jun 07, 2012 22:14 as a reply to Flo's post |  #14

Congratulations, Jean Guy! That was definitely a cool image. This was a very interesting topic for the challenge, and I really enjoyed seeing the images people posted. Thanks for the feedback on the images too. I for one, do appreciate it. I debated between this and another shot for this challenge. You had some very valid points. Thanks!!

Kudos to Jason & Pappawheely too!!

I may be fascinated with volcanoes, but the name's Lisa.
My new website (external link) | ThePhotoHopper on Facebook (external link) | Instagram (external link) | Macrohopper on Instagram (nothing but macros) (external link) |
My Weather Station (external link)

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,625 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Jun 07, 2012 23:28 |  #15

Congrats to Jean-Guy and runners up. To be honest, I had a tough time with this competition, mostly because I don't really get the PD aspect very well. To make matters worse, I failed to see much of it in a lot of the entries :oops::oops: so I am obviously not in sync with this type of perspective. But I tried so thanks for making it a true challenge for me this week. And I think I learned a little something too :)

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

sponsored links

4,577 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon DSLR Speed Challenge #241: Perspective Distortion
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.