Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > People Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th of June 2012 (Fri)   #16
mike_311
Goldmember

Default Re: Shooting girls

this transcends photography, but if you significant other isn't comfortable with something you do, you either have to work it out or find someone else.

this only leads to problems down the line.

you need to find out what about it makes her uncomfortable and alleviate those fears.

www.michaelalestraphotography.com

Flickr | 500px | Blog
mike_311 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of July 2012 (Mon)   #17
Tideas

I find that women definitely are more likely to agree to being shot than guys. Unless you are a girl photographer.
Tideas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of July 2012 (Mon)   #18
RDKirk
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tideas View Post
I find that women definitely are more likely to agree to being shot than guys. Unless you are a girl photographer.
Judging from the success of the female photographers I know, being a female photographer--if there is any difference at all--only enhances the ability to gain female clients and doesn't really make male clients any more willing.
RDKirk is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 9th of July 2012 (Mon)   #19
birderman

I know what it is like having a girlfriend that doesn't what you shooting girls, I used to do a fare amount and when I met the girl I settled down with and had a family I found that I was forced into the corner of giving up my hobby she even whent as far as making sure 90% of my work prior to meeting her was destroyed.....I had a good 22 years with her but without my photography now that she has left me I am now trying to get back into my hobby and hopefully get to the stage where I can start earning some pocket money from it. Whilst I don't regret my life with her I do feel dissapointed that I allowed myself to be forced into such a corner as at the time I was almost ready to turn pro and had some good contacts that would of helped. Anyway its all in the past and I shouldn't be crying over spilt milk as I now have the freedom to photography what and when I desire.

my photos on Flickr
My Website or my Facebook - KishWphotos
birderman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of July 2012 (Mon)   #20
AvailableLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by birderman View Post
I know what it is like having a girlfriend that doesn't what you shooting girls, I used to do a fare amount and when I met the girl I settled down with and had a family I found that I was forced into the corner of giving up my hobby she even whent as far as making sure 90% of my work prior to meeting her was destroyed.....I had a good 22 years with her but without my photography now that she has left me I am now trying to get back into my hobby and hopefully get to the stage where I can start earning some pocket money from it. Whilst I don't regret my life with her I do feel dissapointed that I allowed myself to be forced into such a corner as at the time I was almost ready to turn pro and had some good contacts that would of helped. Anyway its all in the past and I shouldn't be crying over spilt milk as I now have the freedom to photography what and when I desire.
Yeah, her asking you to destroy 90% of your work (were those nudes or something?) was a bully/selfish act on her part and that should've been a signal that she didn't care what made you happy. We are all human and we don't always get or pay attention to those signals. I've made my share of similar mistakes The idea is to close that chapter of your life and move forward, like you are doing.
AvailableLight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of July 2012 (Mon)   #21
_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?

Funny thing, I have the same issue on my ship. I take a lot of random photos of people but generally girls are more photogenic, pose, and want their photo taken. Guys do stupid things which is fine but not necessarily something I can share online with families back home. So one of my chiefs started keeping a list of how many photos or certain girls I take and I asked him, "Chief, are you actually complaining when you look through our deployment photos your complaining of see too many "cute" girls and not enough guys." He smiled and no more complaints.

As all these photos get posted to FB and I tag them, there is obviously more of certain friends and more girls. I've always been that guy anyhow with more girl friends and my wife hasn't said a word, 'cause she knows and understands but then again, that is why she's my wife. She gets me and how I am. If the ex's didn't find by me.
Old 9th of July 2012 (Mon)   #22
hawk911
Cream of the Crop

there's a thread on the G&N discussion side too, called married and shooting models. Same story, different verse. How you spend your down time will certainly contribute to her feelings, but some just never get over it. Add in shooting women in not-so-much-clothing, and the feelings may be worse. YMMV.
HAWK Photography Gallery FB Fan page |_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Cacti, Interfit triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis
hawk911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14th of July 2012 (Sat)   #23
imagesby

Talking Re: Shooting girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by birderman View Post
I was in the exact same position.

Gave up my love and passion for photography for almost 15 years.

It has been a little difficult getting back into my "rhythm" considering that when I left, digital cameras hardly existed!

Have a WONDERFUL Bride-To-Be now that lets me shoot whatever I want and actually encourages my love of glamour photography.

Bought me my first digital camera as a "push" to get me back into it.

Coming from seeing both sides I can tell you this, if your girlfriend has a problem with it now, it will only get worse with time. It is very rare that she will ever change her mind.

That leads you to the big question of, "Should this relationship continue?"

I can't answer that for anyone but myself. I will say this though, I WILL NEVER EVER enter into a relationship with another woman who doesn't understand what and why I shoot what I shoot.

I refuse to allow someone else's insecurities and self doubt about themselves squash or take away my passion for my art.

If they are unwilling to look at something like this with an open mind and trustful heart, what else down the line are they going to restrict me from doing?

Control starts out small, like a spider web slowing wrapping around your feet. Eventually engulfing your entire body and making it hard for you to do anything and always seeking permission to do it.

Next thing you know, you’re trapped and she is sucking all your blood out.

Sorry, not for me anymore!
www.modelmayhem.com/imagesby
www.facebook.com/imagesby
imagesby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of July 2012 (Mon)   #24
paintballkidz

Well the solution was ending the relationship, I am happily shooting bikini models with out a worry
Old 16th of July 2012 (Mon)   #25
AvailableLight

Quote:
Originally Posted by paintballkidz View Post
Well the solution was ending the relationship, I am happily shooting bikini models with out a worry
And that's that. Better to catch these issues early before going all out and tying the knot. When you start another relationship, make clear that you shoot models and have her honestly answer if she can handle it.

Last edited by AvailableLight : 16th of July 2012 (Mon) at 20:42.
Old 16th of July 2012 (Mon)   #26
paintballkidz

Quote:
Originally Posted by AvailableLight View Post
And that's that. Better to catch these issues early before going all out and tying the knot. When you start another relationship, make clear that you shoot models and have her honestly answer if she can handle it.
I'm in my very early 20's and not about to let go of something I love doing for a girl.
Old 16th of July 2012 (Mon)   #27
AvailableLight

Quote:
I'm in my very early 20's and not about to let go of something I love doing for a girl.
Empires have fallen because of a "girl", LOL! Keep in mind when you find the woman that you want to spend the rest of your life with, there will be compromises. Still, communication is key. Definitely don't abandon your hobbies or passions, but they may have to be scaled back, depending on the situation.
Old 16th of July 2012 (Mon)   #28
KeithS

Picture of girlfriend not loading.
EOS 50D; EOS 7D; EOS 5D3; Sigma 30mm f1:1.4; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG; Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5; Canon EF 100-400L; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 II L; Canon EF 100 f/2.8 L; Canon EF 24-105 L; Canon EF 50 f/1.2 L; Canon EF 8-15 f/4 L; Canon EF 600 f/4 L
KeithS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of July 2012 (Sun)   #29
sebr
Goldmember

Quote:
Benron Tripod; ThinkTank, Lowepro and Crumpler bags; Fjällräven backpack
sebr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22nd of July 2012 (Sun)   #30
SoCalTiger

Quote:
Good man.
SoCalTiger is offline   Reply With Quote