FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk
Thread started 04 Jun 2012 (Monday) 04:14   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

mike_311
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2011
3,055 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

this transcends photography, but if you significant other isn't comfortable with something you do, you either have to work it out or find someone else.

this only leads to problems down the line.

you need to find out what about it makes her uncomfortable and alleviate those fears.

Post #16, Jun 15, 2012 07:16:32

Canon 5d mkii | Canon 28/1.8 | Canon 85/1.8 | Canon 135L
www.michaelalestraphot​ography.comexternal link
Flickrexternal link | 500pxexternal link | Blog

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
Tideas
Mostly Lurking
Joined Jul 2012
10 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

I find that women definitely are more likely to agree to being shot than guys. Unless you are a girl photographer.

Post #17, Jul 09, 2012 07:09:09

chasing196.com external link | tonythaipham.comexternal link| Twitterexternal link | Facebookexternal link

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2004
11,579 posts
USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Tideas wrote in post #14690908external link
I find that women definitely are more likely to agree to being shot than guys. Unless you are a girl photographer.

Judging from the success of the female photographers I know, being a female photographer--if there is any difference at all--only enhances the ability to gain female clients and doesn't really make male clients any more willing.

Post #18, Jul 09, 2012 07:59:19

birderman
Joined Mar 2011
827 posts
London, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

I know what it is like having a girlfriend that doesn't what you shooting girls, I used to do a fare amount and when I met the girl I settled down with and had a family I found that I was forced into the corner of giving up my hobby she even whent as far as making sure 90% of my work prior to meeting her was destroyed.....I had a good 22 years with her but without my photography now that she has left me I am now trying to get back into my hobby and hopefully get to the stage where I can start earning some pocket money from it. Whilst I don't regret my life with her I do feel dissapointed that I allowed myself to be forced into such a corner as at the time I was almost ready to turn pro and had some good contacts that would of helped. Anyway its all in the past and I shouldn't be crying over spilt milk as I now have the freedom to photography what and when I desire.

Post #19, Jul 09, 2012 08:03:34

Birderman
London, UK
my photos on Flickrexternal link
My Websiteexternal link or my Facebook - KishWphotosexternal link

AvailableLight
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2012
1,208 posts
Chesapeake, VA
[MORE/SHARE]

birderman wrote in post #14691075external link
I know what it is like having a girlfriend that doesn't what you shooting girls, I used to do a fare amount and when I met the girl I settled down with and had a family I found that I was forced into the corner of giving up my hobby she even whent as far as making sure 90% of my work prior to meeting her was destroyed.....I had a good 22 years with her but without my photography now that she has left me I am now trying to get back into my hobby and hopefully get to the stage where I can start earning some pocket money from it. Whilst I don't regret my life with her I do feel dissapointed that I allowed myself to be forced into such a corner as at the time I was almost ready to turn pro and had some good contacts that would of helped. Anyway its all in the past and I shouldn't be crying over spilt milk as I now have the freedom to photography what and when I desire.

Yeah, her asking you to destroy 90% of your work (were those nudes or something?) was a bully/selfish act on her part and that should've been a signal that she didn't care what made you happy. We are all human and we don't always get or pay attention to those signals. I've made my share of similar mistakes ;) The idea is to close that chapter of your life and move forward, like you are doing.

Post #20, Jul 09, 2012 12:18:13

AJ
Rebel T3i (600D)
18-55 | 55-250 | 50 1.8 | 60 2.8 macro | 15-85 | 430 EXII

sponsored links
_aravena
isn't this answer a stickie yet?
Joined Feb 2007
12,401 posts
Back in the 757
[MORE/SHARE]

Funny thing, I have the same issue on my ship. I take a lot of random photos of people but generally girls are more photogenic, pose, and want their photo taken. Guys do stupid things which is fine but not necessarily something I can share online with families back home. So one of my chiefs started keeping a list of how many photos or certain girls I take and I asked him, "Chief, are you actually complaining when you look through our deployment photos your complaining of see too many "cute" girls and not enough guys." He smiled and no more complaints. :lol:

As all these photos get posted to FB and I tag them, there is obviously more of certain friends and more girls. I've always been that guy anyhow with more girl friends and my wife hasn't said a word, 'cause she knows and understands but then again, that is why she's my wife. She gets me and how I am. If the ex's didn't find by me.

Post #21, Jul 09, 2012 15:13:59

Last Shot Photography
My Siteexternal link ~ Gear List ~ Bag Reviews

hawk911
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jul 2006
11,015 posts
Racine, Wisconsin
[MORE/SHARE]

there's a thread on the G&N discussion side too, called married and shooting models. Same story, different verse. How you spend your down time will certainly contribute to her feelings, but some just never get over it. Add in shooting women in not-so-much-clothing, and the feelings may be worse. YMMV.

Post #22, Jul 09, 2012 15:22:28

HAWK Photography Galleryexternal link FB Fan pageexternal link|_My gear: 5d3, 70D & 40D (all gripped), 580exII, 550ex, Canon 24-70 L & 85 f1.8, 50mm f1.4; Tamron 70-200 SP Di VC, Canon 18-55, Sigma 1.4xtc; Elinchrom Whore, Skyport triggers, Speedotron BD and Kacey Grid, Vagabond minis

imagesby
Mostly Lurking
Joined Sep 2011
12 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

birderman wrote in post #14691075external link

I was in the exact same position.

Gave up my love and passion for photography for almost 15 years.

It has been a little difficult getting back into my "rhythm" considering that when I left, digital cameras hardly existed!

Have a WONDERFUL Bride-To-Be now that lets me shoot whatever I want and actually encourages my love of glamour photography.

Bought me my first digital camera as a "push" to get me back into it.

Coming from seeing both sides I can tell you this, if your girlfriend has a problem with it now, it will only get worse with time. It is very rare that she will ever change her mind.

That leads you to the big question of, "Should this relationship continue?"

I can't answer that for anyone but myself. I will say this though, I WILL NEVER EVER enter into a relationship with another woman who doesn't understand what and why I shoot what I shoot.

I refuse to allow someone else's insecurities and self doubt about themselves squash or take away my passion for my art.

If they are unwilling to look at something like this with an open mind and trustful heart, what else down the line are they going to restrict me from doing?

Control starts out small, like a spider web slowing wrapping around your feet. Eventually engulfing your entire body and making it hard for you to do anything and always seeking permission to do it.

Next thing you know, you’re trapped and she is sucking all your blood out.

:p

Sorry, not for me anymore!

Post #23, Jul 14, 2012 10:18:39

Canon T2i - Body Only
Canon T3i , Gripped, 18-55mm f 2.8, 75-150mm f 5.6
38 months old and over 250,000 shutter clicks!
www.modelmayhem.com/im​agesby
www.facebook.com/image​sby

paintballkidz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2010
733 posts
BC
[MORE/SHARE]

Well the solution was ending the relationship, I am happily shooting bikini models with out a worry

Post #24, Jul 16, 2012 16:17:50

6D
24L

AvailableLight
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2012
1,208 posts
Chesapeake, VA
[MORE/SHARE]

paintballkidz wrote in post #14725474external link
Well the solution was ending the relationship, I am happily shooting bikini models with out a worry

And that's that. Better to catch these issues early before going all out and tying the knot. When you start another relationship, make clear that you shoot models and have her honestly answer if she can handle it.

Post #25, Jul 16, 2012 20:39:58

AJ
Rebel T3i (600D)

paintballkidz
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Jan 2010
733 posts
BC
[MORE/SHARE]

AvailableLight wrote in post #14726671external link
And that's that. Better to catch these issues early before going all out and tying the knot. When you start another relationship, make clear that you shoot models and have her honestly answer if she can handle it.

I'm in my very early 20's and not about to let go of something I love doing for a girl.

Post #26, Jul 16, 2012 21:46:06

6D
24L

sponsored links
AvailableLight
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2012
1,208 posts
Chesapeake, VA
[MORE/SHARE]

paintballkidz wrote in post #14727005external link
I'm in my very early 20's and not about to let go of something I love doing for a girl.

Empires have fallen because of a "girl", LOL! Keep in mind when you find the woman that you want to spend the rest of your life with, there will be compromises. Still, communication is key. Definitely don't abandon your hobbies or passions, but they may have to be scaled back, depending on the situation.

Post #27, Jul 16, 2012 21:51:32

AJ
Rebel T3i (600D)

KeithS
Joined Jul 2009
112 posts
Arizona
[MORE/SHARE]

Picture of girlfriend not loading.

Post #28, Jul 16, 2012 22:10:35 as a reply to AvailableLight's post 19 minutes earlier.

EOS 50D; EOS 7D; EOS 5DIII; EOS 7DII; Sigma 30mm f1:1.4; Sigma 35mm f/1.4 DG; Sigma 17-70 f/2.8-4.5; Canon EF 100-400L; Canon EF 70-200 f/2.8 II L; Canon EF 100 f/2.8 L; Canon EF 24-105 L; Canon EF 50 f/1.2 L; Canon EF 8-15 f/4 L; Canon EF 600 f/4 L

sebr
Goldmember
Joined Jan 2007
4,594 posts
Sweden/France
[MORE/SHARE]

bw!

Post #29, Jul 22, 2012 07:25:46

Sebastien
5D mkIII ; 17-40L ; 24-105L ; 70-200L II ; 70-300L ; 35L ; Σ85/1.4 ; 135L ; 100macro ; Kenko 1.4x ; 2x mkIII ; 580EXII
M ; 22/2.0 STM ; EF adapter ; G7 X
Benron Tripod; ThinkTank, Lowepro and Crumpler bags; Fjällräven backpack

SoCalTiger
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2012
1,744 posts
SoCal
[MORE/SHARE]

Good man.

Post #30, Jul 22, 2012 12:17:50

Laurenceexternal link :: 6D | Lens | LΣns | Lights | Modifiers | Etc...

LIST NEARBY THREADS
8,557 views & 0 likes for this thread
Shooting girls
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre People Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES