Zebra pattern?

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 05 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 19:59   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

kat.hayes
Joined Mar 2012
59 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Video cameras that I have used have the option to turn on what they refer to as zebra patterns (not sure what Canon calls them). With a 5dm3:

1. How do you turn on this pattern to check for overexposed parts of an image?
2. If I'm shooting in AV mode and setting the aperture and ISO, and parts of my image display the pattern indicating some parts are overexposed, is this what adjusting the metering is for, to adjust it a bit so some parts are not overexposed?

Thanks.

Post #1, Jun 05, 2012 19:59:59

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
rrblint
Listen! .... do you smell something?
Joined May 2012
8,513 posts
U.S.A.
[MORE/SHARE]

Not sure about "Zebra Patterns"...Use the Histogram (and detailed image review) to check for over- under- exposure and correct these problems (if any) using exposure compensation.

Post #2, Jun 05, 2012 21:05:46

Mark-BAT

Todd ­ Lambert
I don't like titles
Joined May 2009
12,504 posts
On The Roads Across America
[MORE/SHARE]

Keep your eye on the magic lantern firmware option - it will give your zebra stripes when it comes out for the 5D3.

Post #3, Jun 05, 2012 21:08:27

» America By Twilight - The Ultimate Photography Roadtripexternal link

I’m now living and working full-time on-the-road across the highways of America.
Accompanied by “Montana”, a beautiful Golden Irish who goes everywhere that I do.
Follow along on this modern journey to explore America by Twilightexternal link

Gregg.Siam
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2010
2,381 posts
Bangkok
[MORE/SHARE]

For #1 I think what the OP is talking about is where it flashes the overexposed area. It's obviously not a zebra pattern, but quite handy when looking for blown out highlights.

I don't have my camera at work now, and for the life of me I can't remember what it's called. :(

#2, simply, yes. If you have overexposed parts, then you can adjust for a lower exposure. You might want to brush up on exposure if you are struggling with it. Understanding Exposure by Bryan Peterson is a great book to start with. (or check out some basic exposure videos)

Post #4, Jun 05, 2012 21:58:30 as a reply to Todd Lambert's post 50 minutes earlier.

5D MKIII | 24-105mm f/4 L| 50mm f/1.8 | 600EX-RT [FONT=Tahoma][COLOR=bl​ue][FONT="]|
∞ 500pxexternal link
flickrexternal link

Yno
Joined Jan 2008
812 posts
San Jose, California
[MORE/SHARE]

I think this is what you are referring to. The technical term is Highlight Alert but is commonly called the Blinkies. It is set in the Camera 3 (red) tab of the menu. I haven't tried this in video, but it works for still images.

Post #5, Jun 06, 2012 08:44:55 as a reply to Gregg.Siam's post 10 hours earlier.

I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.
www.imawino.comexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
wcgryphon
Joined Nov 2009
122 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Is this question regarding 5D3 video or stills? Because I don't think there's highlight alert for video... which I think is why Todd Lambert mentioned Magic Lantern.

Post #6, Jun 06, 2012 09:56:44 as a reply to Yno's post 1 hour earlier.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
Joined May 2002
25,985 posts
NW Indiana
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't think there is any way to do thisexternal link with the Canon DSLRs, but you can turn on the "blinkies" for still photos.

Post #7, Jun 06, 2012 13:22:26

Past Equipment | My Galleryexternal link
Resources For Sale: High ISO Denoiser Actionexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,168 views & 0 likes for this thread
Zebra pattern?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES