FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting
Thread started 07 Jun 2012 (Thursday) 07:58   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

fidelfs
Joined Nov 2003
77 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hi,

I am in really need of some help. I just bought the big octa, 1.9 big octa and I was testing it last night.
I ordered the adapter for profoto so I can use my monolights with the big octa.

Put it together is a breeze, it is so big but so easy to assemble. When I installed the diffuser and turn on the light, I notice a dark spot in the center. I have seen many pictures and videos for the big octa, but I have never seen this before. I know the dark spot is the back of the light blocking the light.

I tried with multiple settings and it is a constant 1 stop difference from any point from the big octa compared to the small dark center. I can work around that, placing the model in different places, but It is a way to avoid this dark spot. Fix this?

Any thoughts.

I saw a youtube demo about the big octa and the guy is using elicnchrom 600 Rx http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=6yp9dzzZiM0external link, if you have this head, could you tell me the dimensions so I can compare with the profoto head. I am thinking the profoto is longer and casting the shadow.

Help!!! The big octa gives an amazing light and it is easy to work with. It just need to let your imagination fly and it is magic, but it has a center dark spot :-(

Post #1, Jun 07, 2012 07:58:39

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
sigma ­ pi
Cream of the Crop
Joined Apr 2010
11,200 posts
Los Angeles
[MORE/SHARE]

I have this modifier and its GREAT!

I use it as a background some times. There is a dark spot. I have not measured it but I dont know if it is a full stop different. It really doest bother me because it doest affect my image that I can see. Even when its the BG its not noticeable

Post #2, Jun 07, 2012 17:58:53

Don't try to confuse me with the facts, my mind is already made up.
http://www.flickr.com ...6850267535/in/photo​streamexternal link

FJ ­ LOVE
Cream of the Crop
Joined Nov 2006
20,474 posts
barrie ont. ca
[MORE/SHARE]

fidelfs wrote in post #14544139external link
Hi,

I am in really need of some help. I just bought the big octa, 1.9 big octa and I was testing it last night.
I ordered the adapter for profoto so I can use my monolights with the big octa.

Put it together is a breeze, it is so big but so easy to assemble. When I installed the diffuser and turn on the light, I notice a dark spot in the center. I have seen many pictures and videos for the big octa, but I have never seen this before. I know the dark spot is the back of the light blocking the light.

I tried with multiple settings and it is a constant 1 stop difference from any point from the big octa compared to the small dark center. I can work around that, placing the model in different places, but It is a way to avoid this dark spot. Fix this?

Any thoughts.

I saw a youtube demo about the big octa and the guy is using elicnchrom 600 Rx http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=6yp9dzzZiM0external link, if you have this head, could you tell me the dimensions so I can compare with the profoto head. I am thinking the profoto is longer and casting the shadow.

Help!!! The big octa gives an amazing light and it is easy to work with. It just need to let your imagination fly and it is magic, but it has a center dark spot :-(

i don't have a profoto D1 to try out on my octabank but just looking at the design of that strobe it apppears to me that it is more directional and probably not filling the whole octabank with light

my 600RX fills the whole octabank so much so there is wrap around the strobe leaving no dark spot in the center, i get the same meter reading in the center as i do on the edges

Post #3, Jun 07, 2012 23:27:43

DILLIGAF about your bicycle or your gear

K.C.
Joined Jun 2010
319 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Changing the D1 to the optional dome instead of the stock flat glass cover over the flashtube will give you even light in the Octabank.

Post #4, Jun 08, 2012 00:11:49

fidelfs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2003
77 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Just to keep it updated this post. I got some answers in another forum.
The ring adapter for profoto has a small reflector that prevents the D1 head to go deep into the speedring. I guess that and the D1 design is making the dark spot.
They suggest to remove this reflector, I did this morning and it indeed the head slide further this time. I now can use the dome with the head.
That is the same advise that I got from Elinchrom Europe, so I think I am in the right track.
I will test tonight when I get home.

I will keep posted.

Post #5, Jun 08, 2012 09:53:27

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
K.C.
Joined Jun 2010
319 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

How did it work out ?

Do you get even light ?

Post #6, Jun 22, 2012 01:34:05

fidelfs
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Nov 2003
77 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Yes, it is almost even. The D1 are larger so I have 2/10 difference in the center. The difference is the black center is a lot smaller and it is just 2/10 of stop.

Post #7, Jun 22, 2012 16:41:30

K.C.
Joined Jun 2010
319 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

fidelfs wrote in post #14617709external link
Yes, it is almost even. The D1 are larger so I have 2/10 difference in the center. The difference is the black center is a lot smaller and it is just 2/10 of stop.

Thank you for the information.

Post #8, Jun 22, 2012 18:01:09

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,277 views & 0 likes for this thread
I need help with Elinchrom big octa and Profoto D1 500
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES