Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Small Flash and Studio Lighting
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th of June 2012 (Thu)   #1
fidelfs

Unhappy I need help with Elinchrom big octa and Profoto D1 500

Hi,

I am in really need of some help. I just bought the big octa, 1.9 big octa and I was testing it last night.
I ordered the adapter for profoto so I can use my monolights with the big octa.

Put it together is a breeze, it is so big but so easy to assemble. When I installed the diffuser and turn on the light, I notice a dark spot in the center. I have seen many pictures and videos for the big octa, but I have never seen this before. I know the dark spot is the back of the light blocking the light.

I tried with multiple settings and it is a constant 1 stop difference from any point from the big octa compared to the small dark center. I can work around that, placing the model in different places, but It is a way to avoid this dark spot. Fix this?

Any thoughts.

I saw a youtube demo about the big octa and the guy is using elicnchrom 600 Rx http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yp9dzzZiM0, if you have this head, could you tell me the dimensions so I can compare with the profoto head. I am thinking the profoto is longer and casting the shadow.

Help!!! The big octa gives an amazing light and it is easy to work with. It just need to let your imagination fly and it is magic, but it has a center dark spot
fidelfs is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 7th of June 2012 (Thu)   #2
sigma pi
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: I need help with Elinchrom big octa and Profoto D1 500

I have this modifier and its GREAT!

I use it as a background some times. There is a dark spot. I have not measured it but I dont know if it is a full stop different. It really doest bother me because it doest affect my image that I can see. Even when its the BG its not noticeable

http://www.flickr.com/photos/themort...in/photostream
sigma pi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 7th of June 2012 (Thu)   #3
FJ LOVE
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelfs View Post
Hi,

I am in really need of some help. I just bought the big octa, 1.9 big octa and I was testing it last night.
I ordered the adapter for profoto so I can use my monolights with the big octa.

Put it together is a breeze, it is so big but so easy to assemble. When I installed the diffuser and turn on the light, I notice a dark spot in the center. I have seen many pictures and videos for the big octa, but I have never seen this before. I know the dark spot is the back of the light blocking the light.

I tried with multiple settings and it is a constant 1 stop difference from any point from the big octa compared to the small dark center. I can work around that, placing the model in different places, but It is a way to avoid this dark spot. Fix this?

Any thoughts.

I saw a youtube demo about the big octa and the guy is using elicnchrom 600 Rx http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yp9dzzZiM0, if you have this head, could you tell me the dimensions so I can compare with the profoto head. I am thinking the profoto is longer and casting the shadow.

Help!!! The big octa gives an amazing light and it is easy to work with. It just need to let your imagination fly and it is magic, but it has a center dark spot
i don't have a profoto D1 to try out on my octabank but just looking at the design of that strobe it apppears to me that it is more directional and probably not filling the whole octabank with light

my 600RX fills the whole octabank so much so there is wrap around the strobe leaving no dark spot in the center, i get the same meter reading in the center as i do on the edges

FJ LOVE is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #4
K.C.

Changing the D1 to the optional dome instead of the stock flat glass cover over the flashtube will give you even light in the Octabank.
K.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #5
fidelfs

Just to keep it updated this post. I got some answers in another forum.
The ring adapter for profoto has a small reflector that prevents the D1 head to go deep into the speedring. I guess that and the D1 design is making the dark spot.
They suggest to remove this reflector, I did this morning and it indeed the head slide further this time. I now can use the dome with the head.
That is the same advise that I got from Elinchrom Europe, so I think I am in the right track.
I will test tonight when I get home.

I will keep posted.
Old 22nd of June 2012 (Fri)   #6
K.C.

How did it work out ?

Do you get even light ?
Old 22nd of June 2012 (Fri)   #7
fidelfs

Yes, it is almost even. The D1 are larger so I have 2/10 difference in the center. The difference is the black center is a lot smaller and it is just 2/10 of stop.
Old 22nd of June 2012 (Fri)   #8
K.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fidelfs View Post
Yes, it is almost even. The D1 are larger so I have 2/10 difference in the center. The difference is the black center is a lot smaller and it is just 2/10 of stop.
Thank you for the information.