Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 07 Jun 2012 (Thursday) 15:35
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Maybe a Stupid Question - Lens Manuf Date

digirebelva
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Jun 07, 2012 15:35 |  #1

Okay, maybe this is a stupid question, but I have seen it asked to many times in regards to a used lens for sale here..the manuf date/date code... In regards to lenses does it really matter. If it's a quality lens is it really that important. I would think things like is the glass free of marks etc...things that might effect image quality would be more important.

Is there a realistic reason why date codes should matter (outside of warranty issues)....am I missing something?

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

Virto
Goldmember
1,647 posts
Joined Nov 2010
Elgin, IL
Jun 07, 2012 15:42 |  #2

Not all lenses have date codes, so if Canon continues the trend of not adding them to brand new lenses, it won't matter down the road, anyway.

A 10 year old lens in good shape is probably a better buy than a 2 year old lens that's seen hell. I have several quite old EF lenses and aside from the little printed code, you'd never tell them apart from a brand new one.

Canon warranty is short, and doesn't transfer once registered, I believe.

If you're thinking of a used lens, see if you can test it first. If it functions normally and makes a good image, then it's probably a safe enough buy.

Kelly - EOS 5D - EOS 40D - Rebel XS - EOS 10D - EOS 1D - SX230 - AE-1 - OM-1n - Minolta Himatic7 - EOS-1N
ABR800 - Several flashes, remote triggers, stands, too many and yet not enough lenses

digirebelva
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Mar 2008
Appomattox, Virginia
Jun 07, 2012 16:39 as a reply to Virto's post |  #3

For me personally, I dont care about date codes, I am simply worried about the condition of the lens. All of the lenses that I own have been bought 2nd hand, but I am mainly commenting on the need of quite a few to inquire about the date code of a used lens as though it has some bearing on the lens ability to work properly.;)

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

663 views & 0 likes for this thread
Maybe a Stupid Question - Lens Manuf Date
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.