Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > RAW, Post Processing and Printing
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #1
AxxisPhoto

Default Even Ken Marcus prefers JPEG over RAW!!

Interesting read.

He makes some good points, but I'll still shoot in RAW.
AxxisPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #2
tzalman
Fatal attraction.

Default Re: Even Ken Marcus prefers JPEG over RAW!!

The only point I see is 'don't let somebody else convert your Raws.'
"If you presume to love something, you must love the process of it much more than you love the finished product." John Irving, 5/2012. "In theory there is no difference between practice and theory, but in practice there is." Yogi Berra
Site
tzalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #3
René Damkot

Nice read indeed. And good arguments to never deliver an unfinished product.

For my work, I prefer raw as well, for the reasons he states

Why Color Management.
Color Problems? Click here.

MySpace
Get Colormanaged
Twitter

PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
René Damkot is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #4
criTalon

Very interesting and great post from a different POV.
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #5
TeleFragger
Goldmember

wow.. nice read thanks..
im a hobbyist.. was doing .jpg and raw.. but deleted the raws without processing
i was at my neighbors and took some pics in the house.. the kitchen was dark and a lot of people over.. the cabinets looked way off.. i attempted an edit on the raw and it looked way better.
i converted over to raw only to force me to edit raw and learn...
but just recently i have figured im going back to raw +jpg and only edit what needs to be..

im a hobbyist and want the memories for my kids...
TeleFragger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #6
Preeb
Goldmember

I can see his point since he has full control of the lighting and subject. He has the luxury of being able to shoot for hours without any surprises. And he can make the in-camera settings work in partnership with studio control to put out quality jpegs.

I never know what I might point my camera at next. He even admits that if he shot in conditions where the lighting changes constantly that he'd probably shoot RAW too (although he does seem to have plenty of RAW in his jpegs )

60D - EF-S 10-22 f3.5-f4.5 -- EF-S 17-55 f2.8 IS -- EF-S 60mm f2.8 Macro -- EF 100mm f2.8 L IS Macro -- EF 70-200 f4 L IS w/1.4 II TC
Preeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #7
rpaul

Seem's like he's dismissing RAW because it requires post processing? That shouldn't be a new or foreign concept, at this point... RAW when you want to process, JPG when you want SOOC.
rpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #8
Brain Mechanic
Goldmember

His basic complain is how some people manipulate RAW files, why he is against RAW again?? I mean RAW is superior form a postprocessing point of view but of course, it will depend on who does this postprocessing. RAW is not automatically better. If today's digital cameras give you the option of shooting both (RAW/JEPG) it makes perfect sense to shoot with both. For a quick pic without too much post work I go JPEG, for serious post I go RAW.
Brain Mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #9
Kronie
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brain Mechanic View Post
For a quick pic without too much post work I go JPEG, for serious post I go RAW.
This is what I try to do but it sucks when I forget to go back to RAW and realize that I just took a number "serious" images, that were taken in JPEG....
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #10
tonylong
do I really have to respond?

Like he said, the majority of his work is in the studio where he has control over all the aspects of lighting/exposure. Plenty of photogs have expressed a similar preference. And, he acknowledges that for other types of photography he'd shoot Raw. However, I wouldn't look to him as an expert/teacher on the subject!
Wildlife project pics here, Biking Photog shoots here, "Suburbia" project here! Mount St. Helens, Mount Hood pics here
tonylong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2012 (Fri)   #11
Wilt
Cream of the Crop

Ken Marcus says,
"I was asked to shoot RAW files and send those to their editors. I wasn’t too pleased at the prospect, but did as my client asked.
"When the results were published, I was horrified. The printed images were flat, low-contrast, unsaturated, dull and very unexciting—not what I intended at all.
"So, for my next assignment, I decided to provide them with some finalized high-quality JPGs that were corrected, retouched and contrast controlled in addition to the RAW files they requested. These were images that I felt were up to my standards and reflected the quality that the magazine used to (and still should have) exhibit."

What he fails to appreciate is that the problem is merely
  • the magazine's art director told the guy who did the RAW conversion what they wanted, or
  • the idiot doing RAW conversion did not follow the necessary technique to extract output with better contrast and color saturation,

...not the way Ken would have preferred his images to come out.
The replies to that post exhibit far better insight than Ken does!

The other real point is that Ken was essentially forced to deliver the digital equivalent of 'raw exposed, unprocessed film' to his client. In the film days, it was like being the 'low cost hired shutter release' who drops rolls of exposed film the client's hands and walks away. So if the final prints look like a POS, it is solely because the photographer relinquished all quality control after pushing the shutter button, and left it to the mercy of the client.
No film shooting professional in his right might would do that; most likely the veteran pro would NOT even turn over processed negatives and leave it to the unknown of the print maker (it could be Walgreen's, fergawdsake) for the final product, the print. So the fact that he gave the client 'raw film (RAW files)' rather than 'digital prints (JPG)' is what he should have criticized himself for doing.

Last edited by Wilt : 8th of June 2012 (Fri) at 16:43.
Wilt is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of June 2012 (Sat)   #12
Picture North Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wilt View Post
Ken Marcus says,
"I was asked to shoot RAW files and send those to their editors. I wasn’t too pleased at the prospect, but did as my client asked.
"When the results were published, I was horrified. The printed images were flat, low-contrast, unsaturated, dull and very unexciting—not what I intended at all.
"So, for my next assignment, I decided to provide them with some finalized high-quality JPGs that were corrected, retouched and contrast controlled in addition to the RAW files they requested. These were images that I felt were up to my standards and reflected the quality that the magazine used to (and still should have) exhibit."

What he fails to appreciate is that the problem is merely
  • the magazine's art director told the guy who did the RAW conversion what they wanted, or
  • the idiot doing RAW conversion did not follow the necessary technique to extract output with better contrast and color saturation,
...not the way Ken would have preferred his images to come out.
The replies to that post exhibit far better insight than Ken does!

The other real point is that Ken was essentially forced to deliver the digital equivalent of 'raw exposed, unprocessed film' to his client. In the film days, it was like being the 'low cost hired shutter release' who drops rolls of exposed film the client's hands and walks away. So if the final prints look like a POS, it is solely because the photographer relinquished all quality control after pushing the shutter button, and left it to the mercy of the client.
No film shooting professional in his right might would do that; most likely the veteran pro would NOT even turn over processed negatives and leave it to the unknown of the print maker (it could be Walgreen's, fergawdsake) for the final product, the print. So the fact that he gave the client 'raw film (RAW files)' rather than 'digital prints (JPG)' is what he should have criticized himself for doing.
Aces!

Ken's entire premises is flawed. Instead of relinquishing quality control to others (who apparently don't understand quality), he should have taken the time to maintain and deliver quality himself. Ken is lazy. He took the lazy man's way out.
Picture North Carolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of June 2012 (Sat)   #13
tzalman
Fatal attraction.

I find it entirely incredible that a professional would give Raws to anybody - unless he had a clause in his contract that forbid their conversion and use. Or another clause forbidding the use of his name in the photo credit.
"If you presume to love something, you must love the process of it much more than you love the finished product." John Irving, 5/2012. "In theory there is no difference between practice and theory, but in practice there is." Yogi Berra
Site
tzalman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of June 2012 (Sat)   #14
kirkt
Goldmember

His article could have been one sentence long: "I prefer JPEG because the scenes I shoot do not require raw and, in my situation, raw adds unnecessary work."

He gets into trouble when he deviates from this line of reasoning. The fact that he does not use raw is evident in his opinions about it.

Kirk
kirkt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of June 2012 (Sun)   #15
Jimmer411
Thank god Im green.

No matter how close I meter the scene I appreciate the extra flexibility that raw gives me. I guess this guy is supposed to be a pro, but he sounds like an idiot to me.