Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 13 Jun 2012 (Wednesday) 01:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

X Games in Los Angeles

John ­ Photography
853 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 13, 2012 01:25 |  #1

has anyone shot the X Games here in LA? If so, can you fill me in on what type of glass i'll need to shoot the event with? i'm pretty much shooting the entire 4 days, so the more info i can get the better.

just curious to see where i'll be shooting it from. for instance, the big vert ramp. off the bat, i think i'll need at least a 300.

thanks in advance.

1DmkIV | 1Dx | 5DmkIII | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 35mm f/1.4L | 135mm f/2L | 70-200 f/2.8L mkII | 16-35 f/2.8L mkII | 85 f/1.2L mkII

sponsored links
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
44,636 posts
Joined Dec 2010

Jun 13, 2012 08:16 |  #2

bring the 70-200 and 24-70 on the other body

jakefreese
555 posts
Joined Jan 2012

Jun 13, 2012 08:56 |  #3

100-400 especially for the motor sports parts.

7D, 70-200L 2.8 IS II, some rocks and hammers...
Flickr (external link)
500PX (external link)
SOUTHWEST REINED COWHORSE ASSOCIATION (external link)

EmaginePixel
Goldmember
1,943 posts
Joined Sep 2008

Jun 14, 2012 01:06 |  #4

Looks interesting. here's the link... and fine print about photography.

http://espn.go.com …es-2012-guest-information (external link)

No commercial photography is allowed without a credential. Camcorders or any other audio/visual equipment is prohibited unless authorized prior to arrival. Specifically, the following equipment is not permitted: Lenses greater than three and one half inches in length, telephoto or zoom lenses of any kind, interchangeable lenses of any kind, monopods or tripods or flash equipment of any kind.

"Yesterday is history. Tomorrow is a mystery. Today is a gift. That’s why its called the present” - Kung Fu Panda
EmaginePixel.com website (external link) ----- SportsShooter profile (external link) ----- Facebook page (external link)

seaninsa
Goldmember
1,533 posts
Joined Sep 2011

Jun 14, 2012 11:54 |  #5

Yeah good luck shooting any of the X Games events. Unless you are accredited media you won't be able to take any shots worth anything.

John ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
853 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 19, 2012 20:06 |  #6

i'm sorry, i should have made myself clear. yes, i will be credentialed. i'm shooting for one of the major sponsors. i'm just trying to get ahead of the game, but i'm still waiting to hear back from the PR firm handling media of where we can shoot from.

1DmkIV | 1Dx | 5DmkIII | 24-70mm f/2.8L | 35mm f/1.4L | 135mm f/2L | 70-200 f/2.8L mkII | 16-35 f/2.8L mkII | 85 f/1.2L mkII

Cozmocha
728 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 19, 2012 20:33 |  #7

I would try to contact Max. I know he did x-games before and maybe this year.
http://www.pshizzy.com​/about/ (external link)

From what I can understand, the shooting spots can be limited but asking for better access (before hand) may work if your sponsor has clout. Shoot or set up the remote and wait till you get asked to move it. You'll be surprised of the cool shots you can get before you get in trouble. Get close to he action and shoot wide! Some cool things can happen but it's hit and miss.

-Kurt
www.kurtriversphoto.co​m (external link) || http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/kurtrivers (external link)

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 20, 2012 14:15 |  #8

Which sports do you plan to shoot?

I think because there are so many elements and so many varied environments (inside an arena, outside in the sun, outside under a spotlight), I can't imagine shooting with anything less than all of your equipment. I ONLY shot Rally Car racing last year, and I used all of my equipment.

Also, plan to get kicked out of every 'good' location, and be corralled into a crappy location with most photographers. Your best images will come from 'testing out' locations that you possibly are not supposed to be in ;)

~ Canon 7d / 5D ~ Novatron strobe setup + Vagabond
~ Some L glass, some flashes, the usual

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 20, 2012 14:24 |  #9

also, keep in mind that ESPN's TV broadcast is the primary focus of the events. Their live broadcast reaches millions all over the world. Even if you are backed by one of the top sponsors (last year it was Ford, Red Bull, US Army, and Mobil 1), those sponsors are given full access to the ESPN photo pool, and therefore, their photographers are given crappy access. The whole purpose is to keep everyone out of the TV shot and logistically out of mind as much as possible for the on site organizers. Expect some of the worst shooting conditions you've ever shot in for an organized event, and expect none of the ESPN organizers to be available to assist you with access.

I'm just trying to prepare you ahead of time.

John ­ Photography
THREAD ­ STARTER
853 posts
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 21, 2012 02:39 |  #10

JacobPhoto wrote in post #14607111 (external link)
Which sports do you plan to shoot?

I think because there are so many elements and so many varied environments (inside an arena, outside in the sun, outside under a spotlight), I can't imagine shooting with anything less than all of your equipment. I ONLY shot Rally Car racing last year, and I used all of my equipment.

Also, plan to get kicked out of every 'good' location, and be corralled into a crappy location with most photographers. Your best images will come from 'testing out' locations that you possibly are not supposed to be in ;)

JacobPhoto wrote in post #14607148 (external link)
also, keep in mind that ESPN's TV broadcast is the primary focus of the events. Their live broadcast reaches millions all over the world. Even if you are backed by one of the top sponsors (last year it was Ford, Red Bull, US Army, and Mobil 1), those sponsors are given full access to the ESPN photo pool, and therefore, their photographers are given crappy access. The whole purpose is to keep everyone out of the TV shot and logistically out of mind as much as possible for the on site organizers. Expect some of the worst shooting conditions you've ever shot in for an organized event, and expect none of the ESPN organizers to be available to assist you with access.

I'm just trying to prepare you ahead of time.

I'd like to shoot the big vert ramp and all of the Moto X events inside Staples. i appreciate the feedback, i know it won't be ideal since ESPN is running things. as of now, i plan on bringing everything and then some. gonna keep it stashed away in the trailer.

thanks again.

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 21, 2012 13:02 |  #11

again.... anything location that you WANT to shoot will be off limits. For Rally last year, the 'money' shot was the over/under shot. There was a folding chair reserved for the TV crew, with a K-rail immediately in front of it. Behind the camera guy was a chain link fence that was blocked off so you couldn't see thru it. On top of that, there were rent-a-cops who had to keep people moving thru that area to further prevent anyone else from getting the shot.

This is the shot from ESPN's photographer, the only person allowed to shoot there:
http://espneventmedia.​com …312163577.jpg/2​011/07/31/ (external link)

Shot on setup day, from a location that was later blocked off with K-rail and not acessible by anyone on race day:
http://espneventmedia.​com …312163537.jpg/2​011/07/31/ (external link)

Shot from a TV tower, which no 'normal' media were allowed in:
http://espneventmedia.​com …ewPhoto/74/412/​1631/29071 (external link)

Shot from the big air ramp, which is off limits to all but ESPN staff, and probably shot with a 400 or a 1.4x on a 300
http://espneventmedia.​com …ewPhoto/74/412/​1631/29020 (external link)

Not trying to discourage you, just trying to make sure you're prepped for the best. Expect shooting from on the ramps to not be an option. You'll be provided a location near the front (which is probably one of the worst seats in the house since you're almost too close), if you're lucky.

Here's my shots from last year:
http://www.pasmag.com …ts/2002-x-games-17-rally- (external link)

I'm happy with what I got, but it took a lot of effort to get what I needed.

Cozmocha
728 posts
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 21, 2012 15:15 |  #12

You can see some cool stuff from 2006 here http://markjrebilas.co​m/blog/?p=1331 (external link) But yea... that was for ESPN.

-Kurt
www.kurtriversphoto.co​m (external link) || http://www.sportsshoot​er.com/kurtrivers (external link)

dude+cam
Mostly Lurking
13 posts
Joined May 2012

Jun 21, 2012 16:31 |  #13

Ive been shooting this event for the last 6yrs with and without credentials. IMO, the shots having no credentials makes you more creative and offered me more keepers. The following had worked for me in the past and I'll be using these lessons learned again next week:

for Staples (FMX, enduro, etc), I would use 400 f2.8 shooting from slightly off center, sides, and back facing (some tricks work well depending on the angle you take). I would also capture this with a wide lens (ie. 14 or 24mm) to get perspective of jumps and sequential shots.

For skate/bmx park and street- I shoot tight from high angle (scaffolding or top of the bleachers). Or wide lens from the sidelines. More variety the better.

Big air skate/bmx- shoot wide with sequential and shoot very tight using surrounding buildings as the background (look for interesting massive billboards to add substance to the image with the competitor).

For Rally-I shoot exactly where the ESPN video cameras are positioned (especially the corners (yes youll get clear shots since the film angles are always sweeping from low to high and vice versa). The foot bridges also offered great angles with minimal obstructions.

For Nokia-skate/bmx vert= This is the worst to shoot! The only usable shot here is from the top of the vert ramp (and access to this is very very limited to photographers). There is a huge net in front of the first row of the spectators and yes they will show up on your images. Most photogs are at the opposite side with the competitors families watching.

Do NOT miss the never attempted "Double LOOP Dare" stunt from Hot Wheels on that saturday! I'll shoot wide to fill the frame with the loop having two cars on the top (based from the artist rendering). I would also suggest reviewing and studying last yrs' ESPN coverage to look for new angles and other possibilities. Good Luck.

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,827 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jun 24, 2012 11:21 |  #14

I can do pretty well with most sports using a 300mm f/4L IS and 70-200mm f/4L IS on a pair of 1.6x cameras. This is a great "poor man's field sports setup"

Now for motor sports or boat racing, I will often use the 400mm f/5.6L and 300mm f/4L IS lenses on my 1.6x cameras.

If I were shooting professionally, I would use a pair of 1D (series) cameras along with a 400mm f/2.8 IS and a 70-200mm f/2.8L IS ii. The 400mm would be on a monopod.

Of course, I never shoot sports from the stands. If I cannot get on the sidelines, I simply watch and enjoy the sports...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

JacobPhoto
Goldmember
1,434 posts
Joined Jun 2005

Jun 24, 2012 23:10 |  #15

dude cam wrote in post #14613011 (external link)
=dude+cam;14613011]Ive been shooting this event for the last 6yrs with and without credentials. IMO, the shots having no credentials makes you more creative and offered me more keepers. The following had worked for me in the past and I'll be using these lessons learned again next week:

for Staples (FMX, enduro, etc), I would use 400 f2.8 shooting from slightly off center, sides, and back facing (some tricks work well depending on the angle you take). I would also capture this with a wide lens (ie. 14 or 24mm) to get perspective of jumps and sequential shots.

For skate/bmx park and street- I shoot tight from high angle (scaffolding or top of the bleachers). Or wide lens from the sidelines. More variety the better.

Big air skate/bmx- shoot wide with sequential and shoot very tight using surrounding buildings as the background (look for interesting massive billboards to add substance to the image with the competitor).

For Rally-I shoot exactly where the ESPN video cameras are positioned (especially the corners (yes youll get clear shots since the film angles are always sweeping from low to high and vice versa). The foot bridges also offered great angles with minimal obstructions.

For Nokia-skate/bmx vert= This is the worst to shoot! The only usable shot here is from the top of the vert ramp (and access to this is very very limited to photographers). There is a huge net in front of the first row of the spectators and yes they will show up on your images. Most photogs are at the opposite side with the competitors families watching.

Do NOT miss the never attempted "Double LOOP Dare" stunt from Hot Wheels on that saturday! I'll shoot wide to fill the frame with the loop having two cars on the top (based from the artist rendering). I would also suggest reviewing and studying last yrs' ESPN coverage to look for new angles and other possibilities. Good Luck.

I'm curious to see these shots and the 'high keeper rate' you got.

Also curious how you smuggled a 400mm lens into Staples since their policy strictly forbids large lenses

sponsored links

3,374 views & 0 likes for this thread
X Games in Los Angeles
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.