Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Photography Industry News > Rumors > Camera Rumors and Predictions
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 15th of June 2012 (Fri)   #16
touji

Default Re: 70D top APS-C, 7D II FF

What if they called it the 72D?!
Shooting Since 10/16/2011!
touji is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of June 2012 (Fri)   #17
buy2ls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gregg.Siam View Post
another write up
http://fstoppers.com/canon-70d-to-re...vel-full-frame

. To me, it makes more sense to have a 7D2 with dual slots, 1DX/5D3 AF, and a Digic5 processor.
So why can't they call it a 70D?
Old 15th of June 2012 (Fri)   #18
mileslong24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatterbrained View Post
Um, the 70D would be that successor. Or does the badge actually have to say 7DII on it for you to buy it? Seriously? If the 70D ends up being an upgrade over the 7D are you still going to complain that it's not a 7DII?
If the 70D is what they are rumoring its BARELY an upgrade. Would you upgrade body's to gain the new processor? Doubt it. Thats why people will complain.
mileslong24 is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 15th of June 2012 (Fri)   #19
Billginthekeys
Billy the kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jahled View Post
This entire thread is insane.

No 7D upgrade is going to be Full Frame is it? It's Canon's Flag Ship APS-C camera for those who like to crop or don't have the financial wheels to up their game.

So save your pennies. A 5D3 it is.
I don't know either, seems like a lot of people drank some spiked "full frame" coolaid today. Why would Canon take their top-end APS-C camera, and turn it into an "entry level" full frame camera? I see people in here saying it will have the new 61Pt AF, newest hardware, and higher FPS, and will be under $2k. How? How can they come out with a camera with equal/better specs to the 5D3, have it be less money, and "entry level?" What are they going to do, stick 5Dc sensor in it for giggles? The 7D currently has the highest pixel density available on the market, so why would they change it to what would have to be a lower density sensor to be less than the 5D3 and still FF. Really there are just so many contraditions it doesn't make any sense.
what the L. just go for it.

Billginthekeys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of June 2012 (Fri)   #20
Gregg.Siam
Goldmember

Quote:
Um, the 70D would be that successor. Or does the badge actually have to say 7DII on it for you to buy it? Seriously? If the 70D ends up being an upgrade over the 7D are you still going to complain that it's not a 7DII?
Did you actually read what I wrote or do you just have comprehension problems and a knee-jerk reaction to write snarky replies?

I'm asking why they would nuke the APS-C sensor (crop in case you have no clue) in favor of a FF one. What does that have to do with calling it a 7D2 or a 70D?

To answer you non sequitur question, I don't care what they call it, 7D2 or 70D, it doesn't matter, nor was that even a point in my post.

Quote:
So why can't they call it a 70D?
It wouldn't matter what they called it. If they want a FF entry, let them produce one. My point is why make a FF upgrade to a 7D and nuke the best crop sensor (with the exception being the APS-H).

Last edited by Gregg.Siam : 15th of June 2012 (Fri) at 09:21.
Gregg.Siam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of June 2012 (Fri)   #21
rick_reno
Cream of the Crop

thankfully September isn't far off, so we can't spend years debating this.
rick_reno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of June 2012 (Fri)   #22
Phoenixkh
Goldmember

LOL Rick. It is fun debating the pluses and minuses of non-existent products.

My own take? The 60D (which I own and enjoy) never did measure up as the replacement/upgrade to the 50D in the minds of many Canon shooters. The 7D was that camera. Perhaps Canon is just getting back on track with their model designations. But who knows? We'll have to wait and see.
Old 15th of June 2012 (Fri)   #23
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
another write up
http://fstoppers.com/canon-70d-to-re...vel-full-frame

What I find baffling is that they would actually do away with their top of the line APS-C body. What will all the birders and sports photogs do? Not everyone needs or wants a FF body. Some want the 1.6x factor a crop body provides.

I don't think this rumor could be true. I would be really pissed if I was a crop body photog and they didn't produce a successor to the 7D that was a crop body. To me, it makes more sense to have a 7D2 with dual slots, 1DX/5D3 AF, and a Digic5 processor.
Quote:
Did you actually read what I wrote or do you just have comprehension problems and a knee-jerk reaction to write snarky replies?

I'm asking why they would nuke the APS-C sensor (crop in case you have no clue) in favor of a FF one. What does that have to do with calling it a 7D2 or a 70D?

To answer you non sequitur question, I don't care what they call it, 7D2 or 70D, it doesn't matter, nor was that even a point in my post.

It wouldn't matter what they called it. If they want a FF entry, let them produce one. My point is why make a FF upgrade to a 7D and nuke the best crop sensor (with the exception being the APS-H).
I did read your comment, and replied accordingly. I think you are having some reading comprehension issues:
Quote:
the EOS 70D (expected in September for Photokina) will move upmarket regarding features. Following the rumor, the EOS 70D should replace both the EOS 7D and the EOS 60D, becoming the top model of Canon’s APS-C line-up. An EOS 70D with more pro features, better construction and increased performance. That would mean that Canon is putting the x0D line-up under a new light, after having split the line with the 60D and the 7D.”
All this rumor says is that the 70D will replace both the 60D and current 7D. Nowhere is it stated that it will not be a worthy successor to the current 7D. Considering that they have moved the T4i into, and in some ways beyond, 60D territory, I think that would be a good indicator as to where they would go with the 70D. Which brings me to my point, who cares if it's called a 7D or 70D? If it's a top of the line, well spec'd crop, why does the badge matter? They aren't "nuking" their best crop sensor by changing it's name.
Of course, this is all just rumor still. . . . ..
Scatterbrained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of June 2012 (Fri)   #24
Keebert

I would love to see an APS-C with the 61 point AF - it would mean that the focus points practically cover the entire frame.

I doubt they will do this though - the 70D will just be a 7D with a flip out screen.
Old 15th of June 2012 (Fri)   #25
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop

Quote:

I think the issue here is because you seem convinced that they will somehow deprive APS-C of the "flagship" as it were, whereas he is saying it doesn't matter because the 70D will now take that place.

I have some trouble understanding where you are coming from as well. You keep implying that they're getting rid of the best APS-C camera by making it FF. Does this matter if the 70D becomes everything you wanted from the 7D2? You're making it sound as if you are unhappy because of the naming system, as if somehow a 70D that is better than the current 7D is not going to be good because it is called a 70D and not a 7D2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebert View Post
I doubt they will do this though - the 70D will just be a 7D with a flip out screen.
I'd buy it... if it had 1 stop better ISO performance
Sirrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of June 2012 (Fri)   #26
Scatterbrained
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keebert View Post
I would love to see an APS-C with the 61 point AF - it would mean that the focus points practically cover the entire frame.

Personally, I don't see why they can't at least recycle the soon to be orphaned 45pt AF system from the 1DIV into the 70D and the 7DII, that would put the new 70D well ahead of the current 7D, while putting the 7D slightly below the 5DIII. They can then give the 7DII the 18MP sensor from the 1Dx, which would again put it below the 5DIII, while still having a top notch sensor, creating an excellent low light camera. Meanwhile, in dreamland, the new 70D would get a 20-24MP sensor while getting one stop better iso performance.
Scatterbrained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of June 2012 (Fri)   #27
Talley
Goldmember

Quote:
Personally, I don't see why they can't at least recycle the soon to be orphaned 45pt AF system from the 1DIV into the 70D and the 7DII, that would put the new 70D well ahead of the current 7D, while putting the 7D slightly below the 5DIII. They can then give the 7DII the 18MP sensor from the 1Dx, which would again put it below the 5DIII, while still having a top notch sensor, creating an excellent low light camera. Meanwhile, in dreamland, the new 70D would get a 20-24MP sensor while getting one stop better iso performance.
I would think that makes more sense, well for the AF.

make the 7DmkII have the 45AF of the 1dmkiv and with dual digic 5 processors make it have 10FPS. Keep the same 18mp crop sensor while the 70D is basically the current 7D but with a flip out screen.

many many people would upgrade
Old 15th of June 2012 (Fri)   #28
Tom W
Canon Fanosapien

Quote:
That's an excellent idea. Give it a little more pixel density, cleaner high-ISO (hopefully), auto-focus at f/8, and you'd have the perfect birder's body. Enticing enough for a 5D3 owner to want one as a second body!
Old 15th of June 2012 (Fri)   #29
buy2ls

Quote:
I think you are having some reading comprehension issues:
agreed!
Old 15th of June 2012 (Fri)   #30
gocolts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom W View Post
That's an excellent idea. Give it a little more pixel density, cleaner high-ISO (hopefully), auto-focus at f/8, and you'd have the perfect birder's body. Enticing enough for a 5D3 owner to want one as a second body!
I'm with you on that, and I'm not even a birder!
gocolts is offline   Reply With Quote