Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions
Thread started 15 Jun 2012 (Friday) 01:22
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Canon DSLR Speed Challenge # 243: What's Going On?

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
32,652 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Jun 15, 2012 01:22 |  #1

Summer is upon us here in the USA. Folks are going on vacation, visiting their favorite places and hopefully finding time to do some of their anticipated seasonal activities. I want to see what is going on in your neck of the woods; what you and your family/friends like to do this time of year. I really hope to see a little extra creativity in your shots; try a new angle, or a lens you rarely use. And don't forget to have fun.

This challenge begins when posted, and will end at 6:00 p.m. Pacific time Thurs, 21 June 2012. Winner of this challenge will be announced shortly thereafter.

Standard Rules apply:
Photo Submissions:

1. Camera - Any Canon DSLR Camera
2. Time - any on-topic photo taken at any time is eligible, although photos that have won other competitions should NOT be entered.
3. Size - Please visit Image Posting Rules.
4. Post-Processing - do whatever you like and the host will decide if it works.
5. Posting - * ONE PHOTO per photographer in each challenge.* Photo Name in the message subject line.* Camera model & lens used.* Notes -- post brief EXIF data including ISO, shutter speed and aperture used.
6. Commenting - No commenting during challenge. When the posting is closed and a winner has been declared, comments can be made in this thread.
7. Keep it clean, and both Family and Work safe.
8. Have questions, PM me.
9. Have FUN!

One challenge every week, on the following schedule:

* New Topic - After winner is declared.
* Posting Starts - Right after topic is announced.
* Posting Ends - 6:00 p.m. Pacific Time Thursday, 21 June 2012.
* Winner from this competition decides the theme of the next one (and judges it for a winner) after this competition is closed.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
5DIII
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 85/1.2 135/2.0, 300/f4, 24-70/2.8 both I & II

sponsored links
Kevan
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Easton, MD
Jun 15, 2012 09:15 |  #2

Just hanging around...

IMAGE: http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5453/7189564627_1dbb574540_b.jpg

7D: 1/20s, f/4.0, ISO800, 14mm (35mm eq:22.4mm)

kevan's lensexternal link

kbColorado
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
Jun 19, 2012 11:31 as a reply to Kevan's post |  #3

just chillin'

IMAGE: http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j100/kbtrans/sophiechillin-1.jpg

6/13/2012
5DKMKII
24-70 @ 70mm
1/200 @ f7.1
Venable Lakes, Sangre de Cristo Wilderness

Paul
deep greens and blues are the colors I choose ...

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Nanaimo,B.C.
Jun 20, 2012 11:04 as a reply to kbColorado's post |  #4

Chasing Bees

Lol..

IMAGE: http://macymae.smugmug.com/Other/June-2012/i-cwVVhrX/0/XL/IMG3016-XL.jpg

Canon 40D
ISO 400
1/250
f/5
200mm

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

MSJGD
Goldmember
1,234 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Laval, Quebec, Canada
Jun 20, 2012 11:57 |  #5

Are you coming down grand-papa?

IMAGE: http://i140.photobucket.com/albums/r12/jgdphoto/IMG_3070.jpg

EOS 7D
1/200 sec
f/6,3
ISO 200
300,0 mm

Jean-Guy
7D, 17-40 1:4 L, 70-300 1:4-5.6 L, 50mm 1:1.8
photosjgd.caexternal link

teekay
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Jun 20, 2012 18:02 as a reply to MSJGD's post |  #6

Street Market, First Day Of Summer

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

60D 1/500 f/8 ISO800 35mm (Tamron 17-50)

Maureen ­ Souza
THREAD ­ STARTER
32,652 posts
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Jun 21, 2012 22:47 as a reply to teekay's post |  #7

Okay..... so I am going to say this in half jest and half seriousness, but you guys have boring summer activities.:lol::lol: Maybe it is just because I have a houseful of kids and grownups coming and going and we are always on the go and doing fun activities. (Maybe that is why I am exhausted all the time!!)

On to the photos:
Kev: Love the angle, the ropes are way cool as props and I can imagine this is not an exclusive summertime activity. The B&W conversion works here but I find myself wanting a bit more contrast in the whole picture. But it was the photo entry that was most interesting.

kbcolo: Again, I would have liked to see a bit more action in this shot....jumping in, a big splash, going for a ball or stick would have made me a lot happier.

Flo: okay, Gail, I know you aren't really chasing bees :) Some of those summer hummers you have been photographing would fit right in to this challenge. I have seen your amazing birds :)

Jean-Guy: I know that feeling well as my 3 yr. old grandson always is wanting me to play everything with him all day long.:) But again, an action shot of him attempting to whack a ball would have given this shot a bit more pizazz.

teekay: I live in farm country and we have 2 Farmer's Markets here a week and I love going to them. I think a little more PP to lighten up the tasty breads and the people might be needed here but I am not sure.....

Okay. Was I tough this week? Maybe a little ;) but I know you all can handle it.

So the winner is...............teeka​y!!!

5DMK4
5DIII

highergr0und
545 posts
Joined Aug 2011
Jun 21, 2012 22:59 |  #8

missed the contest..... but we just did the teacups!!! My son is 22 mos old and we rode them over and over. Used my sigma 10-20 to get the shots but I figured a little distortion on an Alice In Wonderland ride is just fine. His friend is a little over 2 and loved them too.

IMAGE: https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-H31jrcbfzCQ/T-I2FSE0raI/AAAAAAAAEls/I-QMUckpvpU/s763/disney037.JPG

T3i, Sigma 10-20, Sigma 30 1.4, 18-55 kit, 55-250, YN-565, a few books, some software, and a desire to get good.....

Flo
Gimmie Some Lovin
44,987 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Nanaimo,B.C.
Jun 21, 2012 23:05 as a reply to highergr0und's post |  #9

WTG Teekay!
Mo..I was stymied!

you're a great friend, but if Zombies chase us, I am tripping you.

kbColorado
Goldmember
Joined Aug 2010
Jun 22, 2012 07:40 |  #10

thanks for the challenge and the comments, Mo. I gots lots of pics of Sophie chasing sticks and the like ... careful what you ask for :D

Paul
deep greens and blues are the colors I choose ...

airfrogusmc
I'm a chimper. There I said it...
Joined May 2007
Oak Park, Illinois
Jun 22, 2012 07:50 |  #11

CRAP sorry Mo I had planned on getting something in. It looks like I just ran outta time...

WTG TK. CONGRATS.

Kevan
Goldmember
3,123 posts
Joined Dec 2007
Easton, MD
Jun 22, 2012 07:57 |  #12

I'll take loaf of pumpernickel raisin, Teekay. I loves me a street market. Nice shooting.

My yoga instructor shot is the byproduct of a shoot I did for an upcoming news article for a town-based news website. She was such a willing participant; I wish everyone was so obliging. I did the conversion because hanging upside-down does some serious skin-tone altering. I went au naturale with my shoot, not what you think, but rather didn't use a flash. In this instance, I think it might have been a good idea. No sooner was the editing done and this challenge popped up. I just had to use it.

Good entries, everyone.

kevan's lensexternal link

MSJGD
Goldmember
1,234 posts
Joined Jul 2007
Laval, Quebec, Canada
Jun 22, 2012 09:41 |  #13

Congratulations teekay. Were did you take this picture ? In Qu├ębec somewhere or do you celebrate St-Jean Baptiste in BC?

Jean-Guy
7D, 17-40 1:4 L, 70-300 1:4-5.6 L, 50mm 1:1.8
photosjgd.caexternal link

teekay
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Apr 2001
British Columbia, Canada
Jun 22, 2012 11:15 as a reply to Maureen Souza's post |  #14

Thanks, Maureen! It was an excellent subject and, like you, I thought there would be far more entries this week, given the time of year and the activities going on in most communities - at least in my neck of the woods.

MSJGD, to answer your question, the sign in French was because the stall was run by a small French bakery - we have a number of ex-Quebecers here who have seen the light and moved west.:wink:

Re my entry, Maureen, yes, I could have fiddled endlessly with it but wanted to move on. I need to practice more street photography as I live in the right place for good action - here's a another shot I took at that same market.

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: 404 | MIME changed to 'text/html' | Byte size: ZERO

New challenge will be posted later today.

Maureen ­ Souza
THREAD ­ STARTER
32,652 posts
Joined Feb 2005
Central California
Jun 22, 2012 16:12 |  #15

I will try to get out to Farmer's Market in the morning and shoot some stuff for future entries. Actually, I prefer the Thursday evening one but the lighting won't be as good as the morning one. Farmers and owners of local shops come from all over the area to sell fresh picked goods as well as homemade breads and other goodies. Nothing beats fresh picked produce and I could spend a bundle there but then I would have to eat it all :)

Kev, I really did love your shot and I waivered back & forth between yours and teekay's. The main reason I picked his was that it was more of a summer activity shot and yours could be a happening thing all year round. :)

5DMK4
5DIII

sponsored links

2,277 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon DSLR Speed Challenge # 243: What's Going On?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Competitions

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.