Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Still Life, B/W & Experimental
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 7th of June 2003 (Sat)   #1
Don Ellis

Default Gaak! A CanonMantis!

Tired of mantis photos? I can see how you would be -- which is why you were warned in the subject line...

Don
Don Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of June 2003 (Sun)   #2
new girl on the bloc

Default Re: Gaak! A CanonMantis!

i for one never tire of the mantis shots - and they love the attention! very nice!
new girl on the bloc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2003 (Sun)   #3
marie
Cream of the Crop

no no , never tired

these are great and really funny to see don
its like as though mantis is leaning against a bar
(a canon one )

is that leela's camera I wonder
or else you are using her's and this is yours
because I know you both have one.
(and you took the shots : )

I read somewhere where the lady mantis actually eats up her man completely (sometimes)
when he was just 'playing' with her

what a life !
lucky you caught them before they all ate each other....

or something

: ))

marie
Lmm10-22mm,17-40,17-85, 70-300,60mm

marie is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of June 2003 (Sun)   #4
SoCal69

Yeah... more mantises (manti?)!

Don, the first one is wonderful...it looks as though he is walking across the Canon logo! Have you considered submitting the first one to Canon?
Old 8th of June 2003 (Sun)   #5
Don Ellis

Default Re: Re: Gaak! A CanonMantis!

Quote:
new girl on the bloc wrote:
i for one never tire of the mantis shots - and they love the attention! very nice!
Good news about your stamina... sometimes Leela will announce, as she did today, "Here's a mantis," and I'll think, "Good grief, not again" -- and dutifully pick up my camera and start taking pictures. Then I get in the rhythm and try to find new things to do with them that I haven't shot before.

You're right... they don't seem to mind. One of the problems I have, in fact, is that when I hold out my finger and let them hop on so I can put them somewhere else, they don't want to get off. And they're tiny enough that I can't just shove them around.

Thanks for the comments. It's always nice to receive mail on what I've come to call "Junk-Mail Weekends." I see such a drop in activity on this and other forums over the weekends that I figure that's why office productivity is dropping -- everyone is in discussion groups Monday to Friday.

Cheers,

Don
Old 8th of June 2003 (Sun)   #6
Don Ellis

Quote:
marie wrote:
is that leela's camera I wonder
or else you are using her's and this is yours
because I know you both have one.
(and you took the shots : )
Actually, I have two -- G1 and G2 -- and Leela has a G2, so these are both my cameras. I don't borrow the lady's.

I use the G1 for infrared and I like taking pictures of the mantis on the G1 because the black infrared filter looks cool.

Quote:
I read somewhere where the lady mantis actually eats up her man completely (sometimes)
when he was just 'playing' with her
Woman, as you know, are never satisfied and if you don't bring them something to snack on, what can you expect.

From the little research I've done, this occurs in 5-31% of the cases (don't ask me where the huge range or the weird "31%" comes from). Apparently the female does get a little peckish during intimacy and if the male hangs about for a little peck on the cheek after his performance, well...

Quote:
what a life !
lucky you caught them before they all ate each other....
or something
What a death! Aack! It's not a "they," however; it's the same animal. And he's definitely an adolescent. He is growing up, though... he's now about an inch long now and looking very healthy.

Thanks for your comments.

Don
Old 8th of June 2003 (Sun)   #7
Don Ellis

Quote:
socal69 wrote:
Yeah... more mantises (manti?)!

Don, the first one is wonderful...it looks as though he is walking across the Canon logo! Have you considered submitting the first one to Canon?
Who knows what the plural is... I'll vote for "mantises," although "mantids" rolls off the tongue a little easier.

Thanks for the praise, Chuck. The logo is raised slightly so he is using it as a foothold. As for contacting Canon, I wrote to them on another matter many months ago and never heard from them. I wonder about most companies' marketing departments -- they spend so much of their time trying to promote their products and miss the help that satisfied users -- and positive word-of-mouth -- can contribute.

Maybe I'll try again and let you know.

Cheers,

Don
Old 8th of June 2003 (Sun)   #8
TimNYC24

Don,
Awesome macros! I am in love with the unaided macro capabilities of my new G3.
Maybe if you removed the background on pic #1 Canon could use a new logo ? Hehehehe
TimNYC24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2003 (Sun)   #9
pappy

I REALLY like these, the composition, colour and contrast are superbly done.

I agree that Canon should be taking notice of the good their satisfied cutomers can do for them.

Regards,
Peter
pappy is offline   Reply With Quote