Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Read More.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Thread started 19 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 21:57
Prev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)

Official T4i Thread

tharmsen
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008
NW Indiana
Jun 19, 2012 21:57 |  #1

I got my new T4i today. Staying with tradition, here is the first family photo:

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!

Over all I'm happy with it so far. I haven't shot with it, so that's the big unknown, but the build seems very good for a Rebel body. It feels solid, the controls are easy to use and it's nice and small - one of the primary reasons I bought it.

I wanted it for two reasons.

1) Size. I usually shoot with a 1DM4 but at times it's just too big. I wanted something smaller I could lug around. I came >< that close to buying the G1X because I had used a G10, G11 and G12 for years. I sold the G12 to a relative and was going to replace it with something like a NEX7 or G1X. Then the T4i was announced and I thought, "I can use my existing lenses".

2) I want to use it for video. I do a lot of video these days and the T4i promises to do autofocus like no other DSLR. So... I figured let's give it a try. I'll post samples of stills and video in this thread later this week.

So, if you're a proud new T4i owner, post pics! Post family photos and sample shots for others to enjoy and lets help answer those questions others are certain to have.

Gear List

sponsored links
tharmsen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008
NW Indiana
Jun 19, 2012 22:36 |  #2

Here's a quick pic, the first I've taken with the camera. The battery isn't charged completely yet but I had to take at least one pic before tomorrow.

ISO: 1250
F/4
Lens: 17-40L
JPEG L
In camera noise reduction enabled - set to medium (3 settings, default is (2) or medium)
Out of camera, no post editing
Focus point is on the sticker of the banana

Gear List

tharmsen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008
NW Indiana
Jun 19, 2012 22:37 |  #3

I would say the focus is spot on. I'm happy with the AWB and the controls are intuitive. It only took a second to figure out everything given my long history with Canon bodies. The touch screen is super slick, it works very well - very iPhone like.

Gear List

silverant
375 posts
Joined Aug 2009
Indonesia
Jun 19, 2012 22:44 |  #4

How about it's autofocus for video ?

I use magiclantern for 550D, but I still prefer manual focus.

5D II | 550D | 24-70 2.8 | 70-200 4 IS | 50 1.8 | 100 2.8 IS | 580 ex II
sold : 450d | 17-40 | 17-55 2.8 | 24-105 | 85 1.8 | 70-200 4

tharmsen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008
NW Indiana
Jun 19, 2012 22:49 |  #5

I haven't shot video yet, I will tomorrow and show some samples. I didn't get the new kit lens with the STM silent drive... so I will have to use one of my standard lenses. So I might hear some noise until my Rhode mic comes in. But I will try to get a sample of how well the AF works in video mode for you guys.

Gear List

tharmsen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008
NW Indiana
Jun 19, 2012 23:01 |  #6

I really want that new 40mm pancake lens. C'mon Canon, get that puppy on the market.

Gear List

lnferno
141 posts
Joined Jun 2012
Jun 19, 2012 23:26 |  #7

Subscribed. I'm still waiting for mine to arrive. I ordered the T4i w/18-135mm lens so who knows how long it will be before it arrives.

Flickrexternal link

Martzart
252 posts
Joined May 2012
Ontario, Canada
Jun 19, 2012 23:33 |  #8

was that 12 thousand iso, or 12 hundred ?
Shot looks great, but since the camera goes up to about 12.5k iso I thought you might have missed a zero in the info.

Deviant Art ~external link T4i/ T2i /Rip300d ~ 50mm f1.2L/135mm f2L/ 70-200mm f4L/ 100mm 2.8 macro/ Sigma 70-200 2.8/ Tamron 17-50 2.8/ 50 1.8 ~ 430 exII/ Vivitar 285hv/ Metz 60 ct-4

StephenAndrew
855 posts
Joined Dec 2010
Philadelphia, PA USA
Jun 20, 2012 00:58 |  #9

^^ Looking at exif data confirms it's ISO 1250 - if an image that clean could come from ISO 12,500, I'd sell my 5D2's and pick up a couple of T4i's! :)

Connecticut Wedding and Portrait Photographerexternal link
Facebookexternal link
Equipment/Feedback

i-G12
Wat?
1,360 posts
Joined Feb 2011
Seattle, WA
Jun 20, 2012 08:32 as a reply to StephenAndrew's post |  #10

silverant wrote in post #14603892 (external link)
How about it's autofocus for video ?

I use magiclantern for 550D, but I still prefer manual focus.

tharmsen wrote in post #14603912 (external link)
I haven't shot video yet, I will tomorrow and show some samples. I didn't get the new kit lens with the STM silent drive... so I will have to use one of my standard lenses. So I might hear some noise until my Rhode mic comes in. But I will try to get a sample of how well the AF works in video mode for you guys.

My understanding is that "continuous AF" only works with the new STM lenses. Right?

tharmsen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008
NW Indiana
Jun 20, 2012 08:51 |  #11

Nope, I've confirmed it works with standard lenses but it's VERY noisy and slow.

Gear List

tharmsen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008
NW Indiana
Jun 20, 2012 09:26 |  #12

I shot some images in the yard this morning. Here's a couple. These were shot with the 17-40L.

Gear List

tharmsen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008
NW Indiana
Jun 20, 2012 09:31 |  #13

Here's an ISO 6400 shot.

ISO: 6400
F/4
17-40L lens
JPEG out of camera
NR set to medium (setting 2 out of 3 possible)

Gear List

tharmsen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008
NW Indiana
Jun 20, 2012 09:36 |  #14

Here's a video I shot this morning.

The lens used was my 17-40L. I can hear the lens trying to focus while I'm near the camera, but you can't hear it over the other background noise in this video. I've noticed with the non-STM lens that the camera tends to hunt for focus quite a bit and it's relatively slow to find focus. I'm going to pick up a STM lens when they're available and see how much that improves the focusing. If it doesn't get much better than this, the camera won't be of much use to me as a video tool... something I really wanted out of it.

http://www.youtube.com​/watch?v=nZqohK_6N6s (external link)

*** Be sure to select 1080p for video quality to see it in full resolution.

Gear List

tharmsen
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,737 posts
Joined Dec 2008
NW Indiana
Jun 20, 2012 11:10 |  #15

With a sharper lens the images look even better. Here's a few shots with my 70-200L. These were shot in JPEG and are straight out of the camera. EXIF info is in tact.

So far I'm very impressed with the focus, image quality and feel of the camera. I need to get a STM lens to make a final decision on the video functionality, but so far as a still camera this little guy simply rocks.

Gear List

sponsored links

414,991 views & 50 likes for this thread
Official T4i Thread
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras

Not a member yet? Click here to register to the forums.
Registered members get all the features: search, following threads, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, settings, view hosted photos, own reviews and more...

AAA

Send feedback to staff    •   Jump to forum...    •   Rules    •   Index    •   New posts    •   RTAT    •   'Best of'    •   Gallery    •   Gear    •   Reviews    •   Polls

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies. Privacy policy and cookie usage info.