Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12th of January 2013 (Sat)   #826
ianxxxchua
Goldmember

Default Re: Official T4i Thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by nfletcher2 View Post
Okay guys I finally got my replacement T4i and I am still loving it. I got a tripod and head and building my collection and taking a lot of photos. I have a question though because I am a little stuck on what lens to get. I have done lots of research and I will explain my dilemma...

My original plan was to get the $110 50mm f/1.8. I got the 18-135mm lens with the kit. I have seen some of the pictures taken with this experimenting with the bokeh and think this would be fun. That was my plan but then I realized I may have the chance to spend a little more and go up to the 50mm f/1.4 that is around $300. I had my mind made up on this after reading a lot of reviews. Well now I may have another chance to spend a bit more. One thing I have been eyeing was a macro lens. Some of the shots I see with macro lenses are amazing and I really thing I could have fun with one. I looked at the 100mm f/2.8 USM that is around $500. They also offer this lens with IS but it is around $900. $900 is really out of my range. $500 is also out of my range but I MAY be able to swing it. I have read that the 100mm without the IS is good as long as its only being used for macro shots but it you go to use it for portraits then you really miss the IS. Like I said I have the 18-135mm so would I still be okay with the IS since I can use it for portrait work? I haven't really found out what I like to shoot yet. I am new to this but honestly I think I would like the macro a bit more than the bokeh work.

Does anyone have any thoughts on which way I should swing? Also I know some will say I should just save up and get the 100mm with IS but that just really won't be feasible so what is listed is the only options. Really the $500 100mm may be too much but I may be able to get it but I want to feel like it is a good choice. Anyways thank you for any input!

Also I am loving the pics you guys are posting!
Congrats on your new lens. Glad to know your problem has been solved.

For your question, my advice is, take one step at a time. Don't go on splurging on lenses you thought you like and in the process, spending a lot. You already have the 18-135 STM which is a good walk around lens. Try to make a photowalk first. After that evaluate yourself, what are your needs and wants. What is hindering your progress and stuffs like that. When you answer those questions, then it's time to look for lenses or other photography materials to help with your craft. Remember, photography is addicting like you want to buy all stuff.

Play with your 18-135 first, that's how you'll learn.

Flickr
ianxxxchua is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of January 2013 (Sat)   #827
ianxxxchua
Goldmember

nfletcher2, how about considering the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 HSM DC Macro? It produces good bokeh and quasi macro. Not those insect macro btw.

Here are some samples,

Flickr
Old 12th of January 2013 (Sat)   #828
OneWatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianxxxchua View Post

... You already have the 18-135 STM which is a good walk around lens. Try to make a photowalk first. After that evaluate yourself, what are your needs and wants....

Very good advice ... the 18mm end of your zoom will also let you get about 1 foot away.

If you still want to "splurge" for close-up photography, one or more Kenko tube will let you have a lot of fun getting started with macro. You'll probably be thirsting for better lighting at that point, rather than more lens.
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 12th of January 2013 (Sat)   #829
cmartin72

Picked up my new T4i last night. Coming from a T2i, I must say I'm already in love with the touchscreen! I just got the 18-55 kit lens, and already have a 55-250 lens as well as a 50mm f1.8 II. I am thinking of selling the kit lens and the 55-250 and buying the 18-135 STM....what other lens can you recommend on a budget that will fill the void of the 55-250? Maybe just keep the 55-250? I have read that the 75-300's are junk. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. I plan to shoot anything and everything....this is pretty much a hobby.
Old 12th of January 2013 (Sat)   #830
nfletcher2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWatt View Post
First, I'm really glad to hear you got that lens issue straightened out! Happy 2013

I'm going to throw a small wrench in your thinking but hopefully help you get to your best choice to meet your needs ...

Given a limited budget, your a desire to get decent bokeh, and your interest in close-up, I recommend you strongly consider the 40mm/f2.8 prime pancake. Since you have a t4i, you'll also get the benefit of the STM focus function.

With the 4omm pancake, you can get just under 1 foot away from your subject with VERY clean fast focus. The f/2.8 aperture is definitely wide enough, especially at that distance, to produce a very shallow depth of field, which will promote that bokeh you're after.

it's a nice quality prime lens with nice image clarity, and if you ever spring for some extension tubes (Kenko are excellent for Canon at a faction of the cost with all the Canon electronic function fully preserved) well, you'll be able to take macro photo shots that would make any seasoned enthusiast happy.

What's more, this lens runs around $150 these days, has a metal foot (instead of plastic like the slightly cheaper 50mm), and is so light and small you can toss it in your pocket. With the savings, you'll be able to get a great flash, or other accessories, as the shutter bug bites you.

So, my suggestion is you research the 40mm f/2.8 as a great pairing to go with your 18-135 STM for the t4i ... and a LOT cheaper than most of the alternatives you mentioned above.

Advantages & disadvantages as perceived by others? Please feel free to weigh in!
I have looked at the 40mm STM actually. I think it looks like a great lens and would be a great prime lens. The problem becomes I may not have a chance to spend enough to get a macro lens for a while. I am getting some financial aid and this is probably going to be my last payment before graduation. I just hate to pass up the chance.
nfletcher2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12th of January 2013 (Sat)   #831
nfletcher2

Quote:

For your question, my advice is, take one step at a time. Don't go on splurging on lenses you thought you like and in the process, spending a lot. You already have the 18-135 STM which is a good walk around lens. Try to make a photowalk first. After that evaluate yourself, what are your needs and wants. What is hindering your progress and stuffs like that. When you answer those questions, then it's time to look for lenses or other photography materials to help with your craft. Remember, photography is addicting like you want to buy all stuff.

I absolutely agree that the 18-135mm is a great walk around lens. That is a lot of the reason I went with this kit and find it very versatile. The problem is I am a stay at home dad and don't get much walk around time right now. I use it daily at home and love it.

My issue is that I may not have a chance to drop this much again for a while. Spending the $500 on the macro would be pushing it but may be feasible now. Because I am a student and this will probably be my last financial aid check before graduation I won't get another chance. Sure maybe a couple years down the road I can save up but that is a while. I ended up getting an extra scholarship this semester and have a bit extra to spare. That is where the difference comes is. I am just trying the use the opportunity I currently have. Plus I love the bug pictures and think they would be great fun!
Old 12th of January 2013 (Sat)   #832
nfletcher2

Quote:
nfletcher2, how about considering the Sigma 17-70 f2.8-4 HSM DC Macro? It produces good bokeh and quasi macro. Not those insect macro btw.

Here are some samples
Okay those are great!

I have seen the price of the 100mm canon non-IS model about $100-120 more than the 17-70mm. Also the 100mm does 1:1 magnification and offers the extra 30mm. I am just wondering of it would be worth spending the extra 100 or so as a future investment. It would be easier to spend the money now on the macro and save up for the 50mm I was talking about than saving for the macro.
Old 12th of January 2013 (Sat)   #833
OneWatt

Wink Re: Official T4i Thread

Quote:
... The problem is I am a stay at home dad and don't get much walk around time right now... My issue is that I may not have a chance to drop this much again for a while. Spending the $500 on the macro would be pushing it but may be feasible now. Because I am a student and this will probably be my last financial aid check before graduation I won't get another chance. ...
Ok, now as an old geezer (and longtime father), I cannot resist the urge to offer financial (not photographic) advice:

Instead of looking for another lens, you should put that $500 in a savings account and discover all the fantastic ways in which your t4i + 18-135 STM can take awesome shots around the house (e.g., LOTS of baby pics!) even while you're being that loving stay-at-home dad. Take your student financial aid and figure out how to use it for a higher calling at this tender time in life.

Honestly, there are far more lenses, flashes, bags and gizmos than anyone's photographic skills can really benefit from... regardless of how much cash you do or don't have available. But may I gently suggest you consider how much fun you can really afford right now?

Photography is a very expensive (and bottomless) hobby. You've actually got an extremely advanced Canon body+lens that can do truly amazing things - and it has technical specs that blow away what most talented pros used just a few years back.

So, my heartfelt advice is that you spend your limited leisure time pushing the boundaries of the amazing toy you already have. And meanwhile, save the extra $$$ for that inevitable "rainy day" that awaits every young family.

Sorry to sound like an old fart, but that's the best advice I wish someone would give me if I were in your situation right now
Old 12th of January 2013 (Sat)   #834
nfletcher2

Quote:
Ok, now as an old geezer (and longtime father), I cannot resist the urge to offer financial (not photographic) advice:

Instead of looking for another lens, you should put that $500 in a savings account and discover all the fantastic ways in which your t4i + 18-135 STM can take awesome shots around the house (e.g., LOTS of baby pics!) even while you're being that loving stay-at-home dad. Take your student financial aid and figure out how to use it for a higher calling at this tender time in life.

Honestly, there are far more lenses, flashes, bags and gizmos than anyone's photographic skills can really benefit from... regardless of how much cash you do or don't have available. But may I gently suggest you consider how much fun you can really afford right now?

Photography is a very expensive (and bottomless) hobby. You've actually got an extremely advanced Canon body+lens that can do truly amazing things - and it has technical specs that blow away what most talented pros used just a few years back.

So, my heartfelt advice is that you spend your limited leisure time pushing the boundaries of the amazing toy you already have. And meanwhile, save the extra $$$ for that inevitable "rainy day" that awaits every young family.

Sorry to sound like an old fart, but that's the best advice I wish someone would give me if I were in your situation right now
The money for the lens would be what I would have after doing all the responsible things! It would be my irresponsible money! lol

That and a the reason I would be able to get the $500 macro instead of the $300 50mm is because about half would be a gift to me for vday.

Last edited by nfletcher2 : 12th of January 2013 (Sat) at 21:22.
Old 12th of January 2013 (Sat)   #835
OneWatt

Time to post a few pictures taken with my trusty t4i ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 12-10-21-4183.jpg (131.2 KB, 231 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-11-10-DripTych.jpg (116.4 KB, 231 views)
Old 12th of January 2013 (Sat)   #836
OneWatt

... and here are a couple more ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2012-11-22-6083.jpg (121.4 KB, 232 views)
File Type: jpg 2012-12-09-6465.jpg (139.3 KB, 230 views)
Old 12th of January 2013 (Sat)   #837
JoseCanseco

^^^^
Very nice!!
Old 12th of January 2013 (Sat)   #838
Pooch

one from driving around town.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DPP_0001.jpg (44.4 KB, 226 views)
Pooch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13th of January 2013 (Sun)   #839
ianxxxchua
Goldmember

Quote:
The money for the lens would be what I would have after doing all the responsible things! It would be my irresponsible money! lol

That and a the reason I would be able to get the $500 macro instead of the $300 50mm is because about half would be a gift to me for vday.
well at the end of the day, it will still be your decision not ours. what's important is, that decision should make you happy, right?

anyway, another advice is to check out the lens threads in this forum for you to see the actual photos that came out from the lenses you mentioned. here's the link to the Sigma 17-70 thread http://photography-on-the.net/forum/...d.php?t=790964

Flickr
Old 13th of January 2013 (Sun)   #840
ianxxxchua
Goldmember

Quote:
... and here are a couple more ...
those are nice

Flickr