Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 4th of June 2013 (Tue)   #4066
doofuss

Default Re: 1DX owners unite! Discuss and post photos!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik S. Klein View Post
Why wouldn't you?

It's a legitimate issue and the camera is under warranty.

The other option is to go for CPS Gold (or the UK equivalent.) For $100 a year you get 2 free clean-and-checks and a 30% service discount plus free return overnight shipping. A 1Dx and a lens or two puts you at the required points for gold.

Can't beat that with a stick and you can get the sensor. mirror, view finder and so on cleaned every 6 months...

Also, as an aside, from my experience Canon service (Irvine) cleans everything they get into the shop. I sent my 1Dx and 70-200 in for critical focus calibration since I was having a hard time doing it with MA. As it turned out there was an electronics issue in the lens AF so I wasn't quite as inept as I thought. Both items were returned spotless. As clean as new or better.

A few months after release I found a bug in the 1Dx firmware. I sent the camera in to verify it, Canon paid round trip express shipping and spit-shined the camera while they had it.

I know it's not a hard task but I'm just the nervous type. I won't touch my sensor.
I would join Gold membership, except I have a 7d body as opposed to a 5d body, and I also not a full-time pro photographer so I dont qualify.

This is from the Canon Australia CPS website:

CPS is Canon's support network for working professional photographers. It's designed to provide you with the best professional support service - bar none. And when you’re shooting for a living, it's nice to know you have the backing of a dedicated service team to ensure you receive quality repairs within the shortest timeframe possible, and expert technical advice.
There are now two levels of membership available to professional photographers:
With a CPS Gold Membership you receive:
A repair turnaround time of 72 hours in house
Pick up and delivery one-way at Canon's cost
A 30% discount on parts and labour
Back up equipment, like for like
Evaluation equipment - subject to availability
International support*
5 clean & checks / sensor cleans each year
To qualify for a CPS Gold Membership you need to have purchased a minimum of a Canon 1D series and 5D series body, three L-series lens, and be a full-time, professional photographer. You will need to show proof-of-purchase and equipment must have been purchased from a Canon Professional Dealer in Australia.
There is an annual Membership fee of $100.
Canon 1dx & 7d gripped, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L, Sigma 120-300 f2.8 (sports), Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, Canon EFS 17-55mm f2.8, , Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5 - 5.6, Sigma 2 x teleconverter, Olympus E-520, Zuiko 14-45mm f/3.5 - 5.6, Zuiko 40-150mm f/3.5 - 5.6
doofuss is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 4th of June 2013 (Tue)   #4067
yipDog Studios

I have sent my 1Dx back to Canon twice (CPS free cleanings) and have bought the Copper Hill cleaning kit to do it more often. It's not hard to do yourself. My sensor was getting filthy after every shoot. And I don't change lenses on it in the field. It is most certainly an issue with the lubricant used to keep that shutter moving so fast in the burst modes. To contrast...my 5D mk3 which has about the same number of shutter clicks has yet to need cleaning. I have about 20k on each. Hopefully the oil on the 1Dx will start diminishing as someone earlier mentioned! I love the camera but shooting aircraft is a nightmare in AZ as our skies are mostly blue and show dirt like crazy! Have started using an ND filter to keep apertures lower but I'm seeing dirt even at f8!

Last edited by yipDog Studios : 4th of June 2013 (Tue) at 18:43.
yipDog Studios is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 4th of June 2013 (Tue)   #4068
joonrhee
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by yipDog Studios View Post
I have sent my 1Dx back to Canon twice (CPS free cleanings) and have bought the Copper Hill cleaning kit to do it more often. It's not hard to do yourself. My sensor was getting filthy after every shoot. And I don't change lenses on it in the field. It is most certainly an issue with the lubricant used to keep that shutter moving so fast in the burst modes. To contrast...my 5D mk3 which has about the same number of shutter clicks has yet to need cleaning. I have about 20k on each. Hopefully the oil on the 1Dx will start diminishing as someone earlier mentioned! I love the camera but shooting aircraft is a nightmare in AZ as our skies are mostly blue and show dirt like crazy! Have started using an ND filter to keep apertures lower but I'm seeing dirt even at f8!
Wow, this is quite discouraging. Is this a common problem with all 1DXs? I only received mine last week and have yet to check for dirt in high apertures. So, there will be dirt if you're using high burst mode. What about when you're not using high burst mode?
joonrhee is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 4th of June 2013 (Tue)   #4069
Erik S. Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonrhee View Post
Wow, this is quite discouraging. Is this a common problem with all 1DXs? I only received mine last week and have yet to check for dirt in high apertures. So, there will be dirt if you're using high burst mode. What about when you're not using high burst mode?
I rarely use high burst mode.

Because of this discussion I decided to do a few quick tests. I snapped a few shots on the 1Dx from f32 down to f22 using the body and lens that came back from Irvine last week. There have been maybe 400-500 frames shot since.

There was noticeable dust but nothing extraordinary and certainly nothing visible until you zoomed 100%.

By way of comparison I pulled my 5D2 out of the Canon box and put the very first frame since it was cleaned through it. It was worse, but again nothing visible unless you go looking for it.

Please pardon the pun, but to me this is all in the noise. The actual images I get out of both cameras are excellent and I rarely ever see artifacts related to sensor gunk. Most of what I see are the limits of my skill... :P
Old 4th of June 2013 (Tue)   #4070
joonrhee
Goldmember

Thanks for your response Erik. I guess we're all good as long as they don't show up on final images.
Old 5th of June 2013 (Wed)   #4071
doofuss

At least if I shoot relatively wide open I dont have to worry about cloning out the oil spots.

Canon 1dx & 7d gripped, Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L, Sigma 120-300 f2.8 (sports), Sigma 70-200mm f2.8, Sigma 24-70 f2.8, Canon EFS 17-55mm f2.8, , Canon EF 50mm f/1.8, Sigma 8-16mm f4.5 - 5.6, Sigma 2 x teleconverter, Olympus E-520, Zuiko 14-45mm f/3.5 - 5.6, Zuiko 40-150mm f/3.5 - 5.6
Old 5th of June 2013 (Wed)   #4072
dancook

my first thought - The coca cola bottle and the background work well together
dancook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of June 2013 (Wed)   #4073
doofuss

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancook View Post
my first thought - The coca cola bottle and the background work well together
Thanks dancook. I think the coke bottle and ashtray work well together and give "character" to the pic.

But if the truth really be known, this was a very "impromptu" pic with no real thought given to its composition, lighting or structure. I was lucky to just fluke it all.

My family and I visited Turtle Island whilst holidaying in Bali, and when the locals working there (especially their photographer) saw my camera gear and 1dx, they all went nuts and were demanding that I take their photos for them....

Their on site photographer, Bebek, wanted me to take a few casual pics of him and his friends so he could show his boss the quality of the 1dx and then try to convince him to buy one for Bebek to use.

All good fun and I have made new friends as a result from it.

Last edited by doofuss : 5th of June 2013 (Wed) at 08:14.
Old 5th of June 2013 (Wed)   #4074
Jon_Doh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erik S. Klein View Post
I rarely use high burst mode.

Because of this discussion I decided to do a few quick tests. I snapped a few shots on the 1Dx from f32 down to f22 using the body and lens that came back from Irvine last week. There have been maybe 400-500 frames shot since.

There was noticeable dust but nothing extraordinary and certainly nothing visible until you zoomed 100%.

By way of comparison I pulled my 5D2 out of the Canon box and put the very first frame since it was cleaned through it. It was worse, but again nothing visible unless you go looking for it.

Please pardon the pun, but to me this is all in the noise. The actual images I get out of both cameras are excellent and I rarely ever see artifacts related to sensor gunk. Most of what I see are the limits of my skill... :P
Go over to the Nikon forums and take a look at some of the photos of the D600's dust/oil problem and it will make you appreciate your cameras
Canon A2 (film), 24-50 Sigma, 70-210 Sigma
Jon_Doh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of June 2013 (Wed)   #4075
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon_Doh View Post
Go over to the Nikon forums and take a look at some of the photos of the D600's dust/oil problem and it will make you appreciate your cameras

All thing relative.
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)
jwcdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of June 2013 (Wed)   #4076
Erik S. Klein

Quote:
Originally Posted by doofuss View Post
At least if I shoot relatively wide open I dont have to worry about cloning out the oil spots.
Yeah, my thoughts too. The pics I posted show how going from f32 to f22 blurs the dust considerably. The next couple of stops make them vanish.

I probably have 100K images on my hard drive and if .01% of them are shot over f11 I'd be amazed.

Yeah a really dirty sensor will degrade images but the usual stuff only impacts pixel peepers...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwcdds View Post
All thing relative.
Einstein, right?
Old 5th of June 2013 (Wed)   #4077
jwcdds
Cream of the Crop

I can see how dust on sensor can be a huge issue for landscape photographers who prefer to stop down often.

While the 1DX can do landscape... I certainly hope no one is cracking open their wallet for a 1DX solely to shoot landscape photos. For those who shoot primarily landscapes... he/she should be looking at the D800.
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)
jwcdds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of June 2013 (Wed)   #4078
newworld666
Goldmember

.. don't you use F8 for sport or action .. 50% of my motor sports pictures with a 300L2,8 are over F7,1, assuming you need to shoot @ 1/30 ou 1/60 to get impressive results ...

For outdoor sport .. in summer we often have sunny days with flat blue skies..
for panning it becomes a nightmare when you have so many spots that can be seen @F8 .. no way we can put a ND filter on old 300L2,8 USM .. on my 85L I use a Singh ray VariND filter for panning, but no solution for the 300L.

Already this winter I had to spend e lot of time to "clean" pictures (oil marks are coming back in less than a hundred shots)
I am afraid this summer will be a nightmare

Last edited by newworld666 : 5th of June 2013 (Wed) at 10:51.
newworld666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of June 2013 (Wed)   #4079
joonrhee
Goldmember

Since we're on this topic, I decided to check it out this morning. Few dirt (or oil) marks when shot at f22 (which I'll probably never shoot) and one or two marks when shot at f11. I think I can manage that.

Hey Julian, what do you use whening wet cleaning your sensor? I know I'll be good for the first year (I'll have Canon clean it while I have warranty), but after that I'll probably have to clean on my own.
Old 5th of June 2013 (Wed)   #4080
jdizzle
Darth Noink

Quote:
Originally Posted by joonrhee View Post
Since we're on this topic, I decided to check it out this morning. Few dirt (or oil) marks when shot at f22 (which I'll probably never shoot) and one or two marks when shot at f11. I think I can manage that.

Hey Julian, what do you use whening wet cleaning your sensor? I know I'll be good for the first year (I'll have Canon clean it while I have warranty), but after that I'll probably have to clean on my own.
I use Photo Solutions. It works well on my D4s, D800E, D800, andD600.

Your swab size will be number three.
http://photosol.com/