Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon G-series Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 8th of June 2003 (Sun)   #1
pipodeclown

Default speedlite 420ex

Hello,

I would like to buy a Canon Speedlite 420 EX. My current Metz 32MZ-3 flash does not work properly with my new G3.
I've seen de Speedlite 420 EX in the US for much lower prices than here in Europe. Does anybody know if there are differences between the 420 which is sold in the US and the 420 sold in Europe.

Thanks in advance

Robert
pipodeclown is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of June 2003 (Sun)   #2
benca1
User is banned from forums

Default Re: speedlite 420ex

Robert, I did a little research on this just before ordering my 420 yesterday. What good timing you have!

No. There are no physical differences whatsoever between "gray market" goodies and domestic ones. Apparently the only real difference is that the warranty will not be honored. So order from the US if you like. By the way, it's cheaper here to buy the european 420 then it is to buy the American (domestic) version.

I purchased my 420ex from andoramacamera for 170 american dollars. It includes a 15 dollar rebate making the final price 155. I chuckle about this, because this is the going rate on ebay for one used. Ebay annoys.... people always bid up the good stuff to a price that with a little research could be done for new (and from a reputable seller).

Anyway, I hope this helps.
benca1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2003 (Sun)   #3
pukkita

none (apart from warranty) that I know of.

Prices in Europe are laughable (230 euro the best price, 270 euro average) while you can get one at bhphoto or adorama for $160, which is about 136 Euro. Add about $30 shipping for a total cost of $190, and that's 162Eur. that's almost a 100 eur price difference.

The only problem are customs. Depending the country you're in, even with customs the price will be lower. On mine staying away from couriers (specially USPS) and using postal service results usually on customs ignoring these packages.
pukkita is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 8th of June 2003 (Sun)   #4
pukkita

benca, I agree with you regarding ebay; hot items (cameras, flashes, etc) reach prices that are usually above those from competitive online shops.
pukkita is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2003 (Sun)   #5
jpmccormac

As mentioned, there is no difference in USA vs European models except price and warranty. However, be aware that the G3 does NOT support the 420EX's AF assist.
jpmccormac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2003 (Sun)   #6
Dana

Default Re: Re: speedlite 420ex

Quote:
jpmccormac wrote:
As mentioned, there is no difference in USA vs European models except price and warranty. However, be aware that the G3 does NOT support the 420EX's AF assist.
FYI:

If you purchase the European model in the US from B&H Photo Video, they provide a full year warranty that matches the Canon warranty.

Dana
Dana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 8th of June 2003 (Sun)   #7
discusws

Yo All,

I did order many times outside Europe to get things cheaper but my country is doing an extra tax on top of it (19%) so it is probably not worth to do it.

In the Netherlands cheapest price for an 420 EX = 220 Euro and in Germany 200 Euro

So for me the difference prices are:
Netherlands = 220 € + 11 €schipping = 231 €
German = 200 €+ 22 € schipping = 242 €
USA = 160 $ +30 $ schipping = 162 € + 19% vat = 192 €

I personally think that that is it not worth.

In another way when you know somebody and you can send mony in an enveloppe and they send it back in an noname package you can fool import authorities and than it is a lot cheaper.

Regards Walter
discusws is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of June 2003 (Tue)   #8
dujie

Quote:
jpmccormac wrote:

Does the G3 AF assist work with any flash? I am interested in purchasing an external flash and was just wondering.

Thanks
Dujie
dujie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of June 2003 (Tue)   #9
verT

Default Re: Re: Re: speedlite 420ex

Quote:
dujie wrote:
Does the G3 AF assist work with any flash? I am interested in purchasing an external flash and was just wondering.

Thanks
Dujie
From my understanding the only flash that will "talk" with the G3 is the Canon flash. You can use another flash but you will have to set the flash up manually.
350D w/BG-E3, Tamron SP AF17-50mm F/2.8 XR Di II LD Aspherical [IF], Canon EF-S 17-85mm f/4-5.6 IS USM, Sigma 70-200mm f/2.8 EX DG Macro APO HSM, Canon SpeedLite 420EX, SD450, dinky tripod that needs to be replaced.
verT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10th of June 2003 (Tue)   #10
dujie

Thanks verT.

It is unfourtunate that the AF assist does not work with Canon lenses.

dujie
Old 16th of June 2003 (Mon)   #11
jglisson73

I emailed Canon support about the AF Assist light on the 420 EX not working with the G3, and asked if the AF Assist on works with any other flash. They wrote back that the speedlite flash AF Assist light will not work with any camera that has its own AF Assist light built in.

Well...there it is, straight from the horse's mouth!

John
jglisson73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of June 2003 (Mon)   #12
dujie

Thanks John. That is interesting information!

Dujie
Old 16th of June 2003 (Mon)   #13
benca1
User is banned from forums

Quote:
jglisson73 wrote:
I emailed Canon support about the AF Assist light on the 420 EX not working with the G3, and asked if the AF Assist on works with any other flash. They wrote back that the speedlite flash AF Assist light will not work with any camera that has its own AF Assist light built in.

Well...there it is, straight from the horse's mouth!

John
Oh man. But then they only sell a 58mm adapater that blocks the AF assist light.

I'll blame marketing instead of Canon engineering.
benca1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of June 2003 (Mon)   #14
jglisson73

That's a great point benca1...definitely a disappointment.
jglisson73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of June 2003 (Mon)   #15
RajaBhat

Benca1:
>

Have you looked up www.lensmateonline.com where they have all kinds of tests comparing their 52 mm barrel and how it affects flash etc...as compared to the 58 mm Canon.
Raja
RajaBhat is offline   Reply With Quote