Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Canon EOS Digital Cameras
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 24th of June 2012 (Sun)   #1
snapshotgirlie

Default My mirror sticks on 5D classic with 50mm 1.8 Help!

I had bought my 50mm 1.8 II to use on my rebel and it worked great. I traded my rebel for a 5D classic and now my mirror sticks after I take a few shots. Sent camera to Cannon and they said nothing was wrong. Yet, the mirror still sticks. Any ideas? Looking to resell the camera and lens but one of them is faulty, right? Ideas?
snapshotgirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of June 2012 (Sun)   #2
dexy101

Default Re: My mirror sticks on 5D classic with 50mm 1.8 Help!

Have you another lens to try on the camera?

Gear List
dexy101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of June 2012 (Sun)   #3
snapshotgirlie

No I dont.
snapshotgirlie is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 24th of June 2012 (Sun)   #4
Eagle
Goldmember

Don't see how the lens would cause this.

Care to explain why/how you believe the mirror is sticking? Are you sure it's just not using a long shutter time (long exposure)?

Also not the best practice but you could take the lens off and fire the camera a number of times to see if it sticks without the lens on.
Old 24th of June 2012 (Sun)   #5
cputeq007

Is it in some sort of bracketing mode, so your "sticking mirror" is your slow exposure? I can't remember if the 5D had bracketing.
Old 24th of June 2012 (Sun)   #6
amfoto1
Cream of the Crop

Yes, 5D has bracketing... it would be fairly obvious if it's taking three shots though. Is mirror lockup enabled? I think there's a setting that keeps it from cancelling after a single exposure. Or have you accidentally set the 2 second self-timer, which flips the mirror up for a short time before taking the shot? Or accidentally set the camera to B, which flips the mirror up and opens the shutter as long as you keep pressure on the shutter release button?

Another possibility... not sure if it's the same on 5D as my 5DII, but Long Exposure Noise Reduction, if it's set, causes long exposures to take twice as long. This is because after the initial exposure the camera takes a second image of equal time, with the shutter closed, to compare and identify noise for removal. I rarely use this and frankly haven't looked to see if the mirror remains up during this process. But if it does it's another setting that might give the impression the mirror is sticking in the up position for a short time.

As Eagle noted, this shouldn't have anything at all to do with the lens. The 50/1.8 is fully compatible with the camera (actually it's compatible with all EOS cameras ever made... film or digital). However, look at the rear of the lens for any odd protrusions that might get in the way of the mirror.

You should be able to fire the 5D without any lens on it, to see if the mirror still sticks.

The most common fault that causes the mirror to hang up is failing light seals. The seals are open cell foam, and also act as sort of a bumper for the mirror. Sometimes they get sticky and gummy, from old age and possibly exposure to heat. With the mirror down, look for any black particles or smears around the outer edges of the mirror, which would be a sign the seals need replacement. Alternatively, you might very carefully touch the foam seal with a finger tip to see if it feels sticky... just don't touch the mirror! Seal replacements should be done professionally. Doesn't have to be sent to Canon, a good local camera repair shop should be able to handle it. It's not an uncommon, difficult or expensive job... but requires some care to avoid damaging other things in the camera.

Another thing, it's a common problem on 5D classic for the mirror to come loose from it's mount. Originally it was merely glued in place. If it's slightly askew, it could hang up on other things in the mirror box. Usually it comes completely loose and is flopping around inside the camera. But, who knows! Maybe it just slipped a bit in your camera. Canon will repair this situation for free.

A couple other things... I don't have a 5D here to check, but on many Canon there's a metal baffle right inside the lens mount, that the mirror closes close behind. If that's bent, it might drag on and cause the mirror to stick.

One other thing, the camera has an interchangeable focus screen. Check to see that the frame holding it in place is fully closed and latched. Usually it would flop completely open letting the focus screen drop out of place, but who knows! Maybe it's partly open or the metal frame is bent, catching the mirror and causing it to stick.

Last edited by amfoto1 : 24th of June 2012 (Sun) at 13:09.
amfoto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of June 2012 (Sun)   #7
BigDil

Sounds very much like the mirror lock up is enabled.........
EOS 5D MKIII, EOS 5d MKII, EOS 70D, AE1, Tamron 17-35 Di, Tamron 28-75 Di, Tamron 90mm Macro Di, Canon 16-35L, Canon 24-105L , Canon 100-400L , Canon f1.4 50mm USM, Canon EF II 1.4X TC, Canon EF II 2X TC, Canon 580 EX, Canon 430 EX, Canon 580 EXII, Canon 430 EXII, Canon STE2, a bunch of Phottix Strato 4 in 1 Receivers and Transmitters, Sekonic L558, another bunch of Phottix Odin Receivers and Transmitter units, Lee Filters
BigDil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24th of June 2012 (Sun)   #8
Eagle
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDil View Post
Sounds very much like the mirror lock up is enabled.........
Except that is only after taking a few shots, not every shot. I'm thinking green box or P mode and it's just long exposures.
Old 24th of June 2012 (Sun)   #9
Bob_A
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle View Post
Don't see how the lens would cause this.

Care to explain why/how you believe the mirror is sticking? Are you sure it's just not using a long shutter time (long exposure)?

Also not the best practice but you could take the lens off and fire the camera a number of times to see if it sticks without the lens on.
I wonder if the diaphragm blades of his 50 f/1.8 are jamming a bit causing a delay. As you suggested I think it's a really good idea to test without the lens mounted. If nothing sticks (and it isn't user error due to some sort of incorrect setting) then it's the lens.

Bob_A is offline   Reply With Quote