Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Equipment Talk' section > Accessories & Storage
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 25th of June 2012 (Mon)   #1
EchoLocation

Default Camera Strap Help-Luma/Black Rapid RS4-Modification possibilities

I'm going on a year long backpacking trip soon and was looking in to getting a more comfortable, easier to use camera strap. All I ever heard about through casual reading was black rapid, so that seemed like the best option... but I must admit I am a little nervous having 3,000 worth of gear hanging from one screw in piece(tripod mount connection.) I do not want any quick release straps or clips as I will be in many different countries and different situations and theft and damage is a strong possibility.
A couple questions....
Is it possible to attach some sort of string or a seperate strap from the clip near the tripod screw in piece on the black rapid strap to the normal shoulder strap mount on the camera. This means that if the piece did come unscrewed that the camera would be caught by the tent string/something else and not fall? I am looking to doubly secure the RS4 by tying cord from the left side of the camera LCD screen strap loop to the carabiner area on the RS4? Possible Is this possible in any way on the Luma Loop Cinch?

Is there simply a longer version of the Canon strap, without any quick release points? I'm taller and I don't mind my strap so much, but it is a little short to wear diagonal from my neck to under my arm(I'm 6'3)

Thanks!!!
Old 25th of June 2012 (Mon)   #2
Steensgaard

Default Re: Camera Strap Help-Luma/Black Rapid RS4-Modification possibilities

I'm 6' 4 and I have a Crumpler Industri Disgrace which I like very much.
It has no quick release points and it's long enough for me to slide it under my arm and let it cross my body.
You might want to look into that - it's very comfortable.
Steensgaard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of June 2012 (Mon)   #3
LONDON808

With quick release straps thaqt i know im not going to use i tape over mine with either black electrical tape OR Firemans tape Both of which stop the quick release from being used BUT can be unwound and used when wanted - I also use a layard to secure my cmera to the tripod screw mount (going from the mount to the camera body (i have grips which have a loop in the bootom making this very easy to do)

But seriously one word - Insurance
Old 25th of June 2012 (Mon)   #4
tomcat7886
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steensgaard View Post
I'm 6' 4 and I have a Crumpler Industri Disgrace which I like very much.
It has no quick release points and it's long enough for me to slide it under my arm and let it cross my body.
You might want to look into that - it's very comfortable.
+ 1 for the Crumpler ID strap
Old 25th of June 2012 (Mon)   #5
klr.b
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by EchoLocation View Post
I'm going on a year long backpacking trip soon and was looking in to getting a more comfortable, easier to use camera strap. All I ever heard about through casual reading was black rapid, so that seemed like the best option... but I must admit I am a little nervous having 3,000 worth of gear hanging from one screw in piece(tripod mount connection.) I do not want any quick release straps or clips as I will be in many different countries and different situations and theft and damage is a strong possibility.
A couple questions....
Is it possible to attach some sort of string or a seperate strap from the clip near the tripod screw in piece on the black rapid strap to the normal shoulder strap mount on the camera. This means that if the piece did come unscrewed that the camera would be caught by the tent string/something else and not fall? I am looking to doubly secure the RS4 by tying cord from the left side of the camera LCD screen strap loop to the carabiner area on the RS4? Possible Is this possible in any way on the Luma Loop Cinch?

Is there simply a longer version of the Canon strap, without any quick release points? I'm taller and I don't mind my strap so much, but it is a little short to wear diagonal from my neck to under my arm(I'm 6'3)

Thanks!!!
Sure, there's probably over a dozen different ways to add a safety strap. Here's a link to one with quick disconnects, but it's the same idea. If you don't trust QDs, then don't use them. I've seen people use paracord which is cool if you're good with knots.

The Luma Cinch actually uses the two attachment points you're thinking of. I'm not sure if anyone has added a safety strap to that yet. I don't think it's really needed, though. I'll probably order one once they figure out the new quick disconnect feature.

Gear and Feedback
klr.b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of June 2012 (Mon)   #6
CanonCameraFan

1 high quality screw on the bottom is just as secure as 2 straps on the side. If one of those straps fails, the whole strap fails. I recently bought the Sun Sniper Professional and am very pleased with the quality and way if feels, ease of use etc. Not cheap, so what! Made in Germany. Also, I like how it is mor out of the way for Portrait shots with my gripped 40D

http://www.sun-sniper.com/en/sniper-...teel-bear.html
EOS 40D w/BG-E2N, EOS 40D w/BG-E2, 550EX, 430EX II, Sunpak 622 Pro, Opteka 6.5mm/3.5, Tokina AT-X PRO DX 12-24/4.0, Canon EF 100/2.0 USM, Canon EF 70-300/4-5.6 L IS USM, Quantums 1 & 1+, Tamrac 614 Bag & 787 Backpack, Dyna-Lite 500 W&P...

http://www.flickr.com/photos/johnebersole/sets/

Last edited by CanonCameraFan : 25th of June 2012 (Mon) at 20:09.
CanonCameraFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25th of June 2012 (Mon)   #7
klr.b
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanonCameraFan View Post
1 high quality screw on the bottom is just as secure as 2 straps on the side. If one of those straps fails, the whole strap fails. I recently bought the Sun Sniper Professional and am very pleased with the quality and way if feels, ease of use etc. Not cheap, so what! Made in Germany. Also, I like how it is mor out of the way for Portrait shots with my gripped 40D

http://www.sun-sniper.com/en/sniper-...teel-bear.html
That's partly true. While a neckstrap can fail, the chances that both sides rip off at the same time are extremely slim. Therefore, you still have a chance at catching the strap as it falls off your neck/shoulder. You would need ninja reflexes to catch your camera if a BR failed.

Gear and Feedback
Old 26th of June 2012 (Tue)   #8
legoguy

What lens do you have? I also have the same worries of hanging 3000 of equipment off the Black Rapids connector. Despite being rated to something like 150kgs of weight, it's still not enough to ease my worries.

The heavier Sigma lenses come with a Sigma lens strap which is designed to go through a small metal bar attached to the tightening nob in the tripod mount. I have attached some Paracord 550 around the metal bar and attached a triangular steel quick link which acts as a second connecter which also slides up and down the length of the strap. This means I have two quick release attachment points so hopefully the lens and camera will remain attached even if one conenction method fails.

Unfortunately Canon lenses don't have the mentioned metal bar in the Tripod foot.

Dave
legoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15th of July 2012 (Sun)   #9
xeodragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by klr.b View Post
That's partly true. While a neckstrap can fail, the chances that both sides rip off at the same time are extremely slim. Therefore, you still have a chance at catching the strap as it falls off your neck/shoulder. You would need ninja reflexes to catch your camera if a BR failed.
I don't think most people have fast enough reflexes to catch their camera in either scenarios.
xeodragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of July 2012 (Mon)   #10
Sirrith
Cream of the Crop

Quote:
Originally Posted by xeodragon View Post
I don't think most people have fast enough reflexes to catch their camera in either scenarios.
In one scenario, you can catch the strap, which will be trailing behind the camera, and around your neck, or the camera, in the other, you can only catch the camera.
Sirrith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of July 2012 (Mon)   #11
klr.b
Goldmember

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrith View Post
In one scenario, you can catch the strap, which will be trailing behind the camera, and around your neck, or the camera, in the other, you can only catch the camera.
^^Yup.

I can help visualize it for you. Imagine that the left side of the strap has somehow become so frayed that it finally rips. Like Sirrith mentioned, you now have about 2 feet of strap that you can grab as it gets pulled around your neck and off the shoulder. There may be some people that wouldn't react fast enough while in their state of shock; but there's a lot of people that would be able to grab on to something. If a BR fails, you might be able to use your foot to cushion the fall, but few people would ever actually be able to catch the camera.

Gear and Feedback
Old 16th of July 2012 (Mon)   #12
zrock

if you do not like the quick release straps you could epoxy them together and make it one pc or use some zip straps. I have the op/tech strap and it has Velcro straps available for the quick release
430EX II
zrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of July 2012 (Mon)   #13
Jon

Cocker Spaniel Mod

Quote:
Speak for yourself. I don't claim to have very quick reflexes, but when the stitching on one end of the PacSafe strap on my 300 2.8 ripped out, sending the lens and attached 1D3 toward the ground, I sure caught it fast enough. I spent the rest of the day with camera and lens suspended from the POTN OpTech strap of the 1D3, so I definitely consider those QR clips to be safe enough for any reasonable use.

Cocker Spaniels
Maryland and Virginia activities

Image Posting Rules
and Image Posting FAQ
Report SPAM, Don't Answer It! (link)
PERSONAL MESSAGING REGARDING SELLING OR BUYING ITEMS WITH MEMBERS WHO HAVE NO POSTS IN FORUMS AND/OR WHO YOU DO NOT KNOW FROM FORUMS IS HEREBY DECLARED STRICTLY STUPID AND YOU WILL GET BURNED.
Jon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 16th of July 2012 (Mon)   #14
xeodragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon View Post
Speak for yourself. I don't claim to have very quick reflexes, but when the stitching on one end of the PacSafe strap on my 300 2.8 ripped out, sending the lens and attached 1D3 toward the ground, I sure caught it fast enough. I spent the rest of the day with camera and lens suspended from the POTN OpTech strap of the 1D3, so I definitely consider those QR clips to be safe enough for any reasonable use.
That's very fortunate that you caught it. That's why I said think and most. May not be accurate, to each their own. I know depending on what I was doing, I might hear the thud before I realize what happened.
xeodragon is offline   Reply With Quote