|25th of June 2012 (Mon)||#1|
Join Date: Jun 2005
At the weekend i arrived home from 12 days in Iceland. I covered the ring road in that time, and managed to drive 2,500miles!
I am currently still working on sorting through images, but thought i would post a few thoughts here to help others going on similar trips.
My route is covered here:
(the colours are for different days)
I recorded the route with my iPhone using GeotagPhotos. I am very impressed by the app as it has worked incredibly well (even when it had no signal), and didn't have a huge affect on battery life.
I am using HoudahGeo on my Mac to geotag photos using the GPX files from GeotagPhotos.
My route was as follows:
- Fly in to Keflavik and drive to Reykjavik
- Stay one night in Reykjavik
- Do the Golden Circle (Thingvelir, Geysir, Gullfoss)
- Stay in Selfoss
- Drive to Landmannalaugar and hike around
- Stay in Selfoss one last night
- Drive to Vik (photographing the waterfalls on the way)
- Stay one night in Vik
- Drive to Skaftafell
- Do a glacier hike and check out Svartifoss
- Stay in Skaftafell
- Drive to Hofn (passing Jokulsarlon and other lagoons)
- Stay one night in Hofn
- Drive to Husavik
- Passing along the East coast, and MyVatn
- Stay in Husavik
- Spend the day in MyVatn
- Go whale watching!
- Stay in Husavik again
- Drive to Akureyri (via MyVatn again)
- Stay in Akureyri (and photograph Godafoss at night)
- Drive to Stykkisholmur on the Snaefells Peninsula
- Stay one night
- Drive to Reykjavik
- Stay in Reykjavik
- Go on the 'Inside the Volcano' tour
- Fly home!
The following sites were of massive amounts of help (in addition to a proper map, and Lonley Planet guide):
- http://www.international-photographe...days_index.htm (buy the eBook. It is VERY helpful)
- http://en.vedur.is/ (you will look at this a lot...)
Random other points...
- I stayed in hotels and guesthouses, and the guesthouses were very good. I did not camp or use hostels.
- Food is the only thing i found shockingly expensive. If you have meals that aren't pizza/burger then expect to pay £25-£30 for a basic meal, and £7 for a glass on wine. The quality is also very variable, but the price less so.
- The weather was MUCH better than expected
- Having a 3g data sim for my iPhone was really helpful. Especially for checking weather, looking at what i could see the following day, and using maps. They are ~£10 from Simin or Vodafone in Iceland
- Having a 4x4 (even a small one like a Suzuki Grand Vitara is mostly essential if you go very far)
- Don't expect to get the 'midnight sun' every night, as it's very often too cloudy
- If you take cash, then only take small amounts, maybe £50 worth. They use cards for EVERYTHING!
I will post some photos soon, but if anyone has questions then please ask (whilst it's still fresh in my mind!).
|4th of July 2012 (Wed)||#2|
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Dubai/New Zealand
Overall, how much did your trip cost? Ball park, e.g. $300 per day.
5DIII | 7D | 10-22 | 24L II | 17-40L | 50L | 85L II | 70-200L II | 300L II IS | 1.4x III | 2x III | 580EX II
|4th of July 2012 (Wed)||#3|
Join Date: Jun 2005
~£275 (~$430)/day (this includes everything)
This was NOT a luxurious trip, but was just me.
As a rough breakdown of costs (ignoring flights):
- £60/day car rental
- £40/day fuel
- £80/day accommodation
- £20/day food
Last edited by Anzxio : 4th of July 2012 (Wed) at 13:39.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Iceland in May||MSG01||Urban Life & Travel||2||26th of February 2011 (Sat) 20:10|
|Iceland||KevinBrown||Nature & Landscapes||3||13th of February 2011 (Sun) 15:17|
|Iceland, Iceland, Iceland by Marshall||ammarshall||Nature & Landscapes||36||25th of November 2010 (Thu) 02:04|
|Iceland||hejl||Nature & Landscapes||5||27th of June 2007 (Wed) 07:48|
|Iceland?||saqib||Canon G-series Digital Cameras||0||26th of March 2003 (Wed) 14:10|