FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk
Thread started 26 Jun 2012 (Tuesday) 20:10   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

wpmegee
Joined Sep 2008
63 posts
Huntsville, AL
[MORE/SHARE]

Anyone going to the Grand Am race at Indy? This year they're having Grand-Am on the roadcourse on Friday, Nationwide on Saturday and Sprint Cup on Sunday.

http://www.indianapoli​smotorspeedway.com/bri​ckyard400/external link

I've never been to Indy, are there any decent areas for spectators to shoot from the infield (i.e., no catch fencing in the way) for the road course? I know that spectator shooting for the oval is pretty much impossible due to catch fencing on the outside AND the inside of the track.

Post #1, Jun 26, 2012 20:10:06

60D, Sigma 8-16, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Canon 100mm 2.8L Macro, Canon 100-400L

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2005
5,727 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

wpmegee wrote in post #14636825external link
Anyone going to the Grand Am race at Indy? This year they're having Grand-Am on the roadcourse on Friday, Nationwide on Saturday and Sprint Cup on Sunday.

http://www.indianapoli​smotorspeedway.com/bri​ckyard400/external link

I've never been to Indy, are there any decent areas for spectators to shoot from the infield (i.e., no catch fencing in the way) for the road course? I know that spectator shooting for the oval is pretty much impossible due to catch fencing on the outside AND the inside of the track.

There will be a fence in front of you, regardless of where you go. After previous experience with the Speedway's methods, you can expect that even credentialed photographers will need to stay behind the fences. With a very long lens, 400mm or longer, you may be able to minimize the fences' effects.

The Grand Am cars will be apparently running the opposite direction thst has been used by MotoGP, running the road course clockwise and using the infield section on the inside of the oval's first turn. It'll take some walking around to find a useful location, and with the size of the Indianapolis Motor Speedway, that could mean useful locations may be a half-mile apart. Since this will be the first race for a revised road course configuration in the clockwise direction, no one can be certain in advance exactly what to expect.

Post #2, Jun 27, 2012 10:33:13

wpmegee
THREAD ­ STARTER
Joined Sep 2008
63 posts
Huntsville, AL
[MORE/SHARE]

Road Atlanta has spoiled me with its Jersey Barriers everywhere and zero catch fences :(

Post #3, Jun 27, 2012 16:51:59

60D, Sigma 8-16, Canon 17-55 2.8 IS, Canon 100mm 2.8L Macro, Canon 100-400L

dinanm3atl
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2008
2,979 posts
Atlanta, GA
[MORE/SHARE]

I shot MotoGP event for BMW M last year at IMS. I watched the race and did a little bit of shooting. There are a FEW select spots that you can shoot at and get no catch fencing. These areas are few and far between and will be extremely crowded. During MotoGP there was almost a line to get up to the outside 'spectator fence' at these locations.

I'll be there shooting for some clients so should be fun. On a plane right now for the Indy Test Weekend.

Post #4, Jul 05, 2012 22:48:49

Halston - MotorSports Photographer
7D Grip'd - 7D Grip'd - 5D MKII Grip'd - EOS M - 300L f/2.8 - 70-200L f/2.8 - 24-105L f/4 - 17-40L f/4 - 50 f/1.4 - 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye - 1.4x TC - 2x TC
MotorSportMedia - My Motorsport Photography Siteexternal link

DC ­ Fan
Cream of the Crop
Joined Oct 2005
5,727 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

From having been at the start of the Grand-Am test, the most useful location available was north of the track's museum, facing north. Examples:

IMAGE NOT FOUND IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
Byte size: ZERO | Content warning: NOT AN IMAGE

Focal Length: 340.0mm
Aperture: f/10.0
Exposure Time: 0.0080 s (1/125)
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure Bias: none
Metering Mode: Matrix
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)
White Balance: Auto
Flash Fired: No (enforced)
Orientation: Normal
Color Space: sRGB

Focal Length: 500.0mm
Aperture: f/10.0
Exposure Time: 0.0080 s (1/125)
ISO equiv: 100
Exposure: shutter priority (semi-auto)

Focal Length: 300.0mm
Aperture: f/7.1
Exposure Time: 0.0020 s (1/500)
ISO equiv: 125
Exposure: program (Auto)

These images were framed through a narrow horizontal gap in the fence at the infield right-left switchback. Expect that credentialed photographers will block the view through this gap during race weekend. Obviously, a long lens will be needed. A short distance east of this location, is a larger opening in the fence, which will will eventually attract crowds of photographers. The north end of the infield was not open to spectators for this test, and additional useful locations may be available there.

Post #5, Jul 06, 2012 14:21:18 as a reply to dinanm3atl's post 15 hours earlier.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
e.shell
Joined Jun 2011
46 posts
Lehigh University
[MORE/SHARE]

haha i like the 3 wheeling kia, never thought I'd see that.

Post #6, Jul 13, 2012 11:46:30

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>E.SHELLDESIGNS.COMexternal link<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

theboilermaker
Joined Jan 2012
77 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

500MM! That's a seriously long lens :)

Post #7, Jul 24, 2012 12:27:24

dinanm3atl
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2008
2,979 posts
Atlanta, GA
[MORE/SHARE]

You need it here. Even some of the shooting location for media are extremely far away. And since it is so flat you lose a lot of the use of terrain to frame shots.

Post #8, Jul 24, 2012 12:40:26

Halston - MotorSports Photographer
7D Grip'd - 7D Grip'd - 5D MKII Grip'd - EOS M - 300L f/2.8 - 70-200L f/2.8 - 24-105L f/4 - 17-40L f/4 - 50 f/1.4 - 8mm f/3.5 Fisheye - 1.4x TC - 2x TC
MotorSportMedia - My Motorsport Photography Siteexternal link

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,179 views & 0 likes for this thread
Super Weekend at the Brickyard
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Motorsports Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES