Thread started 29 Jun 2012 (Friday) 15:43   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

cvc7chris
Mostly Lurking
Joined Apr 2010
17 posts
Roanoke, va
[MORE/SHARE]

i got a Canon T2i and i just got a 50mm 1.8 for starters. i also just won a Canon macrolite 3 and i was wondering if i'll need an adapter or anything? if $47 bucks a good deal for a ML-3?

mine is just like this.

EMBED PREVENTED, GIFS ARE NOT RENDERED INLINE
when post is by a member with less than 30 posts)
http://static.photopri​ce.ca ...t_images/00772.medi​um.gif

Update: i recieved it today and when i try to use all the pictures are way too over exposed. i can't figure out how to turn the flash down a little bit, ugh i still haven't read the manual.

Post #1, Jun 29, 2012 15:43:07

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
tim
Light Bringer
Joined Nov 2004
49,505 posts
Wellington, New Zealand
[MORE/SHARE]

I don't have a clue about the flash. If it has an ETTL mode, try it. If not, try to work out how to manually set the power. Manual flash is easy enough, so long as you're not in a hurry. Pretty much just set your exposure, take a shot, adjust flash power to achieve desired result.

Post #2, Jun 30, 2012 07:24:37

NZIPP Qualified Professional wedding photographer.
Wellington Wedding Photographerexternal link ~ Camera and Lens Reviewsexternal link ~ Photographers Tech Supportexternal link
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

fire_rescue
Joined Oct 2012
126 posts
UK
[MORE/SHARE]

There are not manual settings if I remember right (on the flash itself), so the only way to use the ML-series of ring flashes is to use all manual on the body, and like tim said... adjust as necessary.

Post #3, Nov 05, 2012 07:14:44

Canon 7D, 5Dc: 18-135 EFS, 10-22 EFS, 50/1.4 EF, 70-200 F/4L IS, HELIOS 44m-4 (58/2), Industar 50-2 (50/3.5), ASAHI M42 bellows. 580ex, 430ex II, Sunpak 544, Vivitar 283.

KingRoach
Joined Dec 2012
180 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Hello. I have that exact same flash, and I love it, but it will only fire at full power. There is no solution to that.

Even if you use the fastest shutter possible, the smallest aperture possible, and the lowest ISO possible, you would still get overexposed pictures. Yes, it is that powerful.

Some people have come up with ways to power it down, like simply covering half of each of the xenon tubes with black tape and adding another paper layer to diffuse the remaining light. This halves the amount of light and I guess still works even though I haven't tried it yet.

My solution has been to use a variable ND filter to stop down the light. It's a very tricky and annoying process because you would then not really see what you're focusing at unless its a fixed object.

Enjoy.

Post #4, Dec 29, 2012 16:46:44

Flickrexternal link - 500pxexternal link - deviantARTexternal link
Gear list, wishlist, and what's for sale

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,073 views & 0 likes for this thread
Using a Canon ML-3 Macrolighit Flash
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES