LIST NEARBY THREADS

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
12,157 posts
Santa Monica, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

Tessa wrote in post #14661020external link
Here is some information and setups from the event: http://photographyblog​.dallasnews.com ...ng-over-100-olypmic.html/external link

Yeah... no excuse for the crappy photos if this the same venue. This would be the litmus test, where the adults are separated from the kids. (I was going to say "where the men are separated from the boys," but obviously that doesn't work since there are wonderfully talented/skilled women photographers as well.) :lol:

Post #31, Jul 02, 2012 14:42:08

Julian
Gear/Feedbacks | SmugMugexternal link | Blogexternal link
My Review | "The Mighty One"external link
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
IanW
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2005
1,219 posts
Wiltshire, UK
[MORE/SHARE]

Surely this must be some sort of joke, right?!

Maybe in Olympic land, it is the 1st April??

Ian.

Post #32, Jul 02, 2012 14:49:23

Canon 5DIII | BG-E11 | 24-105mm f/4L | 70-200mm f2.8L IS II | 2x III | 430EX
Yongnuo YN-622C | Kenko Tubes | LEE Filters | Manfrotto 055CXPRO3+498RC2, 694CX

flickrexternal link

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2010
2,105 posts
Kingwood, TX
[MORE/SHARE]

But ... Are they the finished images, or has somebody got hold of the sooc shots and posted those?

If it is on the wire, that is final.

I am guessing that these are BTS images that got released out of context.

Nope, that was his real take on the shoot.

The photographer is primarily a spot news-type guy and doesn't do studio portraits ever. Fish out of water.

I'm wondering how much of the blame lies at the hands of the Olympic Committee that organised the shoot.

I'm good friends with a photographer that shot it and he said it was a pretty ordinary Media Summit shoot.

Yes, the images are poor, but the photographers had poor backgrounds and poor lighting to work with it seems to me.

The photographer controls what background and what lighting he uses. Can't blame the summit, it was the photographer's fault.

My comment was about them possibly not getting enough time to set up the lights.

Yeah, you are just incorrect. The lighting was up to the photographer. There were many other photographers there that didn't eff up the lighting.

Post #33, Jul 02, 2012 15:46:42 as a reply to post 14656444

Houston Wedding Photographerexternal link
Houston Sports Photographerexternal link
Current Gear List

RDKirk
Cream of the Crop
Joined May 2004
11,579 posts
USA
[MORE/SHARE]

Sorry, it's the photographer, and being a sports photographer is no excuse for screwing up like that.

If time and space are tight, then you get one good portrait setup and go with that for everyone, concentrating on the personalities of the subjects for variety.

Every newspaper photographer, even sports photographers should know how to set up at lease one basic and effective portrait shot with whatever equipment they normally use. Heck, Annie Leibovitz has made a career with a single one-light setup.

Here are two from the legendary Neil Leifer, simple work, a couple of lights and umbrellas, easily set up in a small space:

http://www.photoinduce​d.com ...SP_Iooss_W_Jordan_3​-1.jpgexternal link

http://216.117.181.169​/art/boxing/other/c101​.jpgexternal link

Sorry, no excuse for flubbing an opportunity like this.

Post #34, Jul 02, 2012 18:25:36 as a reply to Thomas Campbell's post 2 hours earlier.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2008
9,045 posts
NYC
[MORE/SHARE]

Hahahaha...oh my....when I first saw this, I was like.... Gee, she looks like a drug addict. The other one looks like a pedophile. And that one has a big head. That one looks like a mentally disabled person. Is quite obvious the photog DOES not have a vision of what a particular shot/athlete/disciplin​e should look like. I assume the US Olympic committee is short in cash and can't afford to hire real sport photographers to shoot these. And these wonderful images are splattered all over on the CBS website. Guess what, they have become the new standard. Did the photog get paid, I wonder????

Post #35, Jul 02, 2012 18:44:22

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

sponsored links
whuband
Goldmember
Joined Jul 2007
1,364 posts
Florida
[MORE/SHARE]

Hate to be that guy. Bet he doesn't get hired to shoot the games (at least he wouldn't by me).

Post #36, Jul 02, 2012 22:22:00

1DM4, couple of 7D's, Panasonic LX7, 10-22mm, 17-55mm, 50mm 1.4, 85mm 1.8, 70-200mm 2.8, 300mm 2.8, 580EXII (3), 430EX, Alien Bee 800's, tripods, stands, light modifiers, backgrounds, and (thanks to a friend) a well equipped studio to use.

TooManyShots
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2008
9,045 posts
NYC
[MORE/SHARE]

Here is another take on these the so-called "artistic" shots. I smell feet here.... :)

http://www.bagnewsnote​s.com ...rrible-olympic-portraits/external link

Post #37, Jul 02, 2012 22:42:18 as a reply to whuband's post 20 minutes earlier.

One Imaging Photographyexternal link and my Flickrexternal link
Facebookexternal link

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
12,157 posts
Santa Monica, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

TooManyShots wrote in post #14663284external link
Here is another take on these the so-called "artistic" shots. I smell feet here.... :)

http://www.bagnewsnote​s.com ...rrible-olympic-portraits/external link

Yeah.. this 2nd article is full of @#$%. I mean c'mon... suggesting that this was an attempt to make these athletes more like normal human beings? Say wut? Really?

We want these Olympians to be polished, strong, well-posed. They have achieved what most of us can only dream of. They are our inspiration... to push the limits of what it is to be human, yet humanly possible.

Yeah... I'm sure the Olympians all wanted crappy photos of themselves be taken and plastered all over the internet. Most of them are probably thinking, "Heck, if I wanted to look that bad, I would've just taken a photo on my phone in the bathroom against the mirror and posted it on Twitter.

Post #38, Jul 02, 2012 22:58:17

Julian
Founding member and President of the BOGUS Photo Club (Blatantly-Over-Geared & Under-Skilled)

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
44,432 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Easy explanation for these photos, they were shot by a dead guy. Here's his obit...

http://obits.dignityme​morial.com ...pid=149399082&mid=4​598682external link

Post #39, Jul 03, 2012 11:36:28

Nature ­ Nut
Goldmember
Joined May 2012
1,366 posts
NY
[MORE/SHARE]

rick_reno wrote in post #14665373external link
Easy explanation for these photos, they were shot by a dead guy. Here's his obit...

Maybe they will bury his photography career next to his body because I think that it just died after this incident ;)

Post #40, Jul 03, 2012 11:59:12

Adam - Upstate NY:

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
12,157 posts
Santa Monica, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

rick_reno wrote in post #14665373external link

Nature Nut wrote in post #14665475external link
Maybe they will bury his photography career next to his body because I think that it just died after this incident ;)

Don't think that's the right Joe Klamar.

This might be closer to the real McCoy:

http://cs.wikipedia.or​g/wiki/Joe_Klamarexternal link

Post #41, Jul 03, 2012 12:53:57

Julian

sponsored links
neil_r
Cream of the Proverbial Crop
Landscape and Cityscape Photographer 2006
Joined Jan 2003
18,065 posts
The middle of the UK
[MORE/SHARE]

You know your countries economy is going down the toilet when your Olympic Committee get their official photographer from Craigslist :-)

Post #42, Jul 03, 2012 12:58:31

Neil - © NHR Photography
Commercial Siteexternal link - Video Siteexternal link - Blog -external linkGear List There are no rules for good photographs, there are only good photographs. ~ Ansel Adams

rick_reno
Cream of the Crop
Joined Dec 2010
44,432 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

neil_r wrote in post #14665741external link
You know your countries economy is going down the toilet when your Olympic Committee get their official photographer from Craigslist :-)

We're lucky they didn't pick up a "photographer" from in front of a Home Depot. :D

Post #43, Jul 03, 2012 13:21:45

jwcdds
Cream of the Crop
Joined Aug 2004
12,157 posts
Santa Monica, CA
[MORE/SHARE]

rick_reno wrote in post #14665839external link
We're lucky they didn't pick up a "photographer" from in front of a Home Depot. :D

You know... some of those "Home Depot" photographers might have done a better job.

Post #44, Jul 03, 2012 13:37:28

Julian

Thomas ­ Campbell
Goldmember
Joined Jun 2010
2,105 posts
Kingwood, TX
[MORE/SHARE]

My friend Kevin shot at this event and just blogged about his experience. Read about it here:
http://www.thekjblog.c​om ...-presswire-and-usa-today/external link

Post #45, Jul 03, 2012 13:40:32

Houston Wedding Photographerexternal link
Houston Sports Photographerexternal link
Current Gear List

LIST NEARBY THREADS
10,190 views & 0 likes for this thread
Olympic Photo Outrage?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES