Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Sharing Knowhow' section > Talk About Photography > Bird Talk
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 1st of July 2012 (Sun)   #1
CDMOOSE
Cream of the Crop

Default Flash/Beamer/Exposure Question?

Attached is an image of my Canon 7D and 580 EX II Flash settings. I am currently using a 400 mm f/5.6 telephoto. I have three custom mode settings selected which I use for bird photography, stationary, birds in flight, etc. I prefer to shoot in Tv mode (1/400 sec) to ensure relative stability when handholding on stationary subjects. And I employ Auto ISO, so that at 1/400th and f/5.6, if there is still not enough light, the ISO will theoretically ramp up automatically. The flash is set to HSS and Manual mode and I simply adjust the power for varying degrees of darkness.

Most of the time this works very well. But occasionally when in dense foliage, my exposures are made at less than 1/400 sec and are consequently unsatisfactory due to blur. For instance, I just captured a chestnut-sided fledgling at 1/160 sec, f/5.6, and ISO 400. In fact, all of my shots with flash and Beamer seem to be at ISO 400.

So, the first question is why, in Tv mode, would my shutter speed ever drop below that which I have chosen? And second, why are my flash/Beamer shots at ISO 400 when Auto ISO has been selected?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg _MG_8624.jpg (135.1 KB, 113 views)
CDMOOSE is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 1st of July 2012 (Sun)   #2
jhayesvw
Cream of the Crop

Default Re: Flash/Beamer/Exposure Question?

I think that for some reason AUTO ISO defaults to 400 with the external flash.
Mine does it too.

why not use M mode and set your SS and Aperture then auto ISO. that will not allow anything but your ISO to change.

also I use the ETTL mode for my lens, not manual. it seems to work very well and is fully automatic.
I think Exposure compensation can also be dialed in for the flash (brighter or less flash).
jhayesvw is offline   Reply With Quote