Thread started 13 Dec 2005 (Tuesday) 17:49   
LIST NEARBY THREADS

Mark_48
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2004
2,066 posts
Brookfield, MA
[MORE/SHARE]

Has anyone ever run across being required by a facilities hosting a wedding reception, for the photographer to carry liabilty insurance to be allowed to shoot on their premises? A B&G mentioned this and I had to tell them I never had heard of this and I'd have to decline the job if it was indeed a requirement.
I don't shoot alot of weddings in the course of a year, so I haven't bothered with insurance such as this and I probably won't, but I'm wondering how common or uncommon this requirement may be.

Post #1, Dec 13, 2005 17:49:42

Megapixels and high ISO are a digital photographers heroin. Once you have a little, you just want more and more. It doesn't stop until your bank account is run dry.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
cmM
Goldmember
Joined Apr 2004
5,705 posts
Chicago / San Francisco
[MORE/SHARE]
banned

haven't encountered that, nor heard about it in my neck of the woods.

On the other hand, it's a must have in my opinion, especially here in the US

Post #2, Dec 18, 2005 00:58:29

rightaway
Joined Nov 2005
155 posts
[MORE/SHARE]

Insurance for ???

In case someone sue you because your flash may have caused irreparable damage to the retina of their eyes?... :confused:

In the US I would be more worried about being sued for not having a written permission for taking the picture of someone at a wedding...

Post #3, Jan 05, 2006 10:36:05 as a reply to cmM's post 18 days earlier.

Mark_48
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
Joined Nov 2004
2,066 posts
Brookfield, MA
[MORE/SHARE]

rightaway wrote:
Insurance for ???

In case someone sue you because your flash may have caused irreparable damage to the retina of their eyes?... :confused:

In the US I would be more worried about being sued for not having a written permission for taking the picture of someone at a wedding...

I think it was for more to cover any damage done to the building or facilities the reception is being held at. Sort of like "One of your 10' monolights topples over and crashes through a huge plate glass window:shock: . Who's gonna pay ?"

Post #4, Jan 05, 2006 11:32:41 as a reply to rightaway's post 56 minutes earlier.

Megapixels and high ISO are a digital photographers heroin. Once you have a little, you just want more and more. It doesn't stop until your bank account is run dry.

zacker
Cream of the Crop
Joined Jan 2005
6,005 posts
Oxford, CT.
[MORE/SHARE]

maybe its incase YOU get hurt, you wont sue the reception hall.
-zacker-

Post #5, Jan 05, 2006 11:55:45

http://www.theanimalha​ven.comexternal link
My Facebook, Friend me If you want!http://www.facebook.co​m/brokenfencephotograp​hyexternal link

http://www.facebook.co​m/theanimalhaven?ref=t​sexternal link

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as registered member)
V1ktor
Hatchling
Joined Aug 2006
1 post
[MORE/SHARE]

I just got hit with a similar problem. Museum wants liability insurance, otherwise they won't allow shooting. Basically what they want is for their property to be SAFE. If let's say you accidentally break 10k vase, I don't think you want to pay that. Thus, liability insurance would cover that. They want to make sure that they will get their money if your work will damage anything.

Post #6, Aug 09, 2006 10:30:36

jamiewexler
Goldmember
Joined Feb 2006
2,004 posts
Grafton, MA
[MORE/SHARE]

Yes. Try Hill & Usher. My associate has basic liability insurance for about $350/yr; I have Liability, Errors and Ommissions (in case I screw up/lose pictures), and equipment (theft/damage) insurance for about twice that.

And yes, Liability is in case you damage someone or something while you scramble to get a shot, or a kid knocks over your tripod and your 5 pound camera cracks him on the skull. I have heard of photographers dropping L lenses off of balconies (luckily there was no-one below, but that's a potential lawsuit if you hurt someone with your gear. If you value your home and families assets, everyone who calls him/herself a pro should have it...

Post #7, Aug 09, 2006 10:37:31

Massachusetts Wedding Photographerexternal link
My blogexternal link
my facebookexternal link
my gear

LIST NEARBY THREADS
1,380 views & 0 likes for this thread
Liability Insurance at Reception Facilities
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Weddings & Other Family Events

NOT A MEMBER YET? CLICK HERE TO REGISTER TO FORUMS

CHANGE BODY TEXT SIZE FOR ALL THREAD PAGES