Canon Digital Photography Forums  

Go Back   Canon Digital Photography Forums > 'Photo Sharing' section > Weddings and Other Family Events
Register Rules FAQ Members List Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 13th of December 2005 (Tue)   #1
Mark_48
Goldmember

Default Liability Insurance at Reception Facilities

Has anyone ever run across being required by a facilities hosting a wedding reception, for the photographer to carry liabilty insurance to be allowed to shoot on their premises? A B&G mentioned this and I had to tell them I never had heard of this and I'd have to decline the job if it was indeed a requirement.
I don't shoot alot of weddings in the course of a year, so I haven't bothered with insurance such as this and I probably won't, but I'm wondering how common or uncommon this requirement may be.
Old 18th of December 2005 (Sun)   #2
cmM
Goldmember

Default Re: Liability Insurance at Reception Facilities

haven't encountered that, nor heard about it in my neck of the woods.

On the other hand, it's a must have in my opinion, especially here in the US
cmM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 5th of January 2006 (Thu)   #3
rightaway

Insurance for

In case someone sue you because your flash may have caused irreparable damage to the retina of their eyes?...

In the US I would be more worried about being sued for not having a written permission for taking the picture of someone at a wedding...
rightaway is offline   Reply With Quote
This ad block will go away when you log in as member
Old 5th of January 2006 (Thu)   #4
Mark_48
Goldmember

Quote:
Originally Posted by rightaway
Insurance for

In case someone sue you because your flash may have caused irreparable damage to the retina of their eyes?...

In the US I would be more worried about being sued for not having a written permission for taking the picture of someone at a wedding...
I think it was for more to cover any damage done to the building or facilities the reception is being held at. Sort of like "One of your 10' monolights topples over and crashes through a huge plate glass window . Who's gonna pay ?"
Old 5th of January 2006 (Thu)   #5
zacker
Cream of the Crop

maybe its incase YOU get hurt, you wont sue the reception hall.
-zacker-
zacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of August 2006 (Wed)   #6
V1ktor

I just got hit with a similar problem. Museum wants liability insurance, otherwise they won't allow shooting. Basically what they want is for their property to be SAFE. If let's say you accidentally break 10k vase, I don't think you want to pay that. Thus, liability insurance would cover that. They want to make sure that they will get their money if your work will damage anything.
V1ktor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 9th of August 2006 (Wed)   #7
jamiewexler
Goldmember

Yes. Try Hill & Usher. My associate has basic liability insurance for about $350/yr; I have Liability, Errors and Ommissions (in case I screw up/lose pictures), and equipment (theft/damage) insurance for about twice that.

And yes, Liability is in case you damage someone or something while you scramble to get a shot, or a kid knocks over your tripod and your 5 pound camera cracks him on the skull. I have heard of photographers dropping L lenses off of balconies (luckily there was no-one below, but that's a potential lawsuit if you hurt someone with your gear. If you value your home and families assets, everyone who calls him/herself a pro should have it...
jamiewexler is offline   Reply With Quote